Jason Garrison

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Garrison hasn't hit the net consistently since his hot start to the season but the one thing that really bugs me about Garrison's game is his lack of physicality.

For a guy that big, he plays a pretty soft game. I like everything else but I wish he wouldn't get pushed around so much by opposing players.

I think he's been nursing an injury the last while.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I think he's been nursing an injury the last while.

The funny thing is when a guy like Bieksa is coming off serious injury (tendon cuts) or like last year with his groin he a piece of **** that needs to be dumped.

Garrison on the other hand gets made chicken noodle soup and lauded for all that he could be.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Anyone else getting tired of seeing JG paired with AE?

I know I am, I know I was screaming at my TV Friday night went JG was just sitting there, the ice had opened up perfectly for a one-timer for Garrison and Edler just continued to bomb away.

I will add the time I was screaming, I stopped quickly because Edler scored, but man I don't think we have two dmen who's style doesn't mesh well together.

Also, I still think JG is nursing at least two injuries, one looks to be a hand injury, the other looks to be that dreaded groin.

If he is hurt, why not rest him and give Corrado some games?

If it's just a matter of them not meshing chemistry-wise, I wouldn't mind seeing Edler-Tanev and Hamhuis-Garrison for a bit. But I think G5 has been playing through some sort of injury himself too, which would be reason to wonder why he needs to play through it in the first place when we have Corrado in the minors.

I think Edler is dragging down Garrison in general. Really this should be a monster pairing, but now Garrison is doing the dreaded 'trying to do too much'. Alex isn't making very good decisions, and his almost total refusal to tee it up for Garrison when they are paired on the PP just makes it that much more obvious.

The Edler/Bieksa pairing hasn't worked out that well either PP-wise. I'd like to see Bieksa-Garrison actually.

Personally I'd like to see either just Edler or Garrison on the right point, and not both, with Kesler opposite him providing the right shot option.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Well thats what they grt paid the big bucks for. To figure out how to avoid letting their weaknesses become a problem and to utilize their strengths.

Problem is people expectations and the fact that Garrison is a new toy. Hes never given an indication that hes a 40-50 pts guy that some were predicting. I give it a few years before his shine wears off and he starts getting the Bieksa-Edler-Booth treatment.

I don't think people expect 40 points out of him, just that it was a possibility if he stayed on the #1 unit all year. It's his two-way play that I judge him on, not necessarily PP goals.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I don't think people expect 40 points out of him, just that it was a possibility if he stayed on the #1 unit all year. It's his two-way play that I judge him on, not necessarily PP goals.

Did you read this thread? Or are we going to be arguing the semantics of "expectations"?

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Did you read this thread? Or are we going to be arguing the semantics of "expectations"?

Sure, let's go there. I see it more as people hoping for 40 points. But we all know he wasn't signed to put up gaudy totals like that - only it was a possibility if he got top PP time.

Defeatist*

Well I thought garrison could get forty at start of year with more pp time but our pp sucks so those points didn't come to fruition.

I guess his hot start raised my expectations a bit but if I think about it he's not really a puck moving play making dman. He gets most of his points by shooting or getting assists off his rebounds. He doesn't really initiate many scoring chances off the rush or with sweet passing.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Sure, let's go there. I see it more as people hoping for 40 points. But we all know he wasn't signed to put up gaudy totals like that - only it was a possibility if he got top PP time.

Like I said its semantics. Hope vs expectations.

Hes not getting top PP because hes not performing. Its a simple as that. Hes never shown to be a top point getting aside from one year in the BCHL.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Like I said its semantics. Hope vs expectations.

Hes not getting top PP because hes not performing. Its a simple as that. Hes never shown to be a top point getting aside from one year in the BCHL.

Yeah, one where people get angry if he doesn't put up 40 vs. one where people are fine if he doesn't.

He's struggled lately, for sure. Which comes back to the suspected injury people were talking about earlier.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Garrison is at his best playing on the left side but he's constantly forced to play on the right side. Pairing up with Edler has not been good for Garrison as Garrison doesn't have the ability to calm Edler down and cover up his mistakes. As for the PP, I don't think Garrison is ineffective at all. I feel he was unfairly taken off the first PP unit. It's not like the PP is any more effective or dangerous without Garrison there.

Outside99*

Garrison has no business being on the right side. Its hard enough playing off side but he's also not mobile enough, possibly made worse by a nagging injury. That game tieing goal starts with Garrison being overwhelmed, a theme throughout the game.

Also, a dman with average mobility should be paired with a more mobile partner imao.

That's exactly what got Garrison here, why they would assume otherwise AND throw him on the right side is beyond me.

Crazy part is there's a simple solution - Bieksa 25-30, Tanev 20-25, Stanton 10 minutes (current toi) on the right side, equal parts fr Hamhuis, Garrison and Edler on the left (though Edler should be out there with Tanev as much as possible).

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If the main boards have taught me anything it's that quietly is the only way to roar. ;)

50670267_bfd3bc9811_o.jpg

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Garrison has no business being on the right side. Its hard enough playing off side but he's also not mobile enough, possibly made worse by a nagging injury. That game tieing goal starts with Garrison being overwhelmed, a theme throughout the game.
Imagine if we dealt Edler and got an offensive defenseman - that played the right side (doesn't have to be in the same trade; could be a separate trade). Acquired D doesn't have to be as "good" as Edler; as Garrison would now be playing on his more comfortable side.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Let me just say I am so glad he's back on the first unit power play, he should have never been off it in the first place and I hope this time it sticks for good. That cannon...he has SO many assists just by blasting it off someone.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Was far and away our best defenceman out of the gate this year, and has steadily roared back the past 2 weeks or so as well as our top defenceman. He is kinda like a Sheldon Souray back when he used to be good.

Pseudonymous*

Imagine if we dealt Edler and got an offensive defenseman - that played the right side (doesn't have to be in the same trade; could be a separate trade). Acquired D doesn't have to be as "good" as Edler; as Garrison would now be playing on his more comfortable side.

corrado IMO.

i love corrado's ability to move laterally on the blueline during the pp, hes got a wicked shot too.

i'd prefer him being moved for a forward

ive always liked corrado playing with him, just because i think they have alot of similarities and he could learn alot from garrison.

and i completely agree with the other poster saying he shouldn't have ever been taken off it, i dont think the lack of pp production has ever fallen on him. he does his job, i think its the forwards who spend too much time around the outside.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
I'm kind of hoping that it's either Garrison or Edler on the 1st unit, not both. Would much prefer having a RH shot on the point as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad