Jason Garrison

Lord Flacko*

Hell, 55 points isn't out of the question.

Yes it is.

In the last full season only 1 defensemen scored more than 55 points.

You guys have some unreasonable expectations right now. I think even 45 is about the most he could get.

But I will be happy to be proven wrong :)

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
garrison hitting 50pts is not out of the question. most of his goals will come on the powerplay. shoots hard and very accurate.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'd like to hear from those who hated this signing when it happened and see what they think now. I think Garrison is only going to get better and fits in perfectly with a Torts like system.

If we can get Edler back to playing a tough brand of hockey, that's a pretty nice 1-2 punch. With Hamhuis and Bieksa on a second pairing and Tanev/Stanton on the third, that's a REALLY solid d-line.

Garrison is a good defenseman in practically any system. ;)

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
why does torts keeps switching garry to his left side during today's game in pitts? obviously that's his strong side.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
why does torts keeps switching garry to his left side during today's game in pitts? obviously that's his strong side.

To steady Bieksa becuase neither Hamhuis nor Edler can do it right now. That leaves garrison to do the work. As to "strong side", for defense yes, for offense, no. Garrison's shot is a weapon much better utilized on the right. He's also very adept defensively on that side as well. To me, his offensive contribution is far too enticing to pass up, so I prefer him on the right at the moment.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
To steady Bieksa becuase neither Hamhuis nor Edler can do it right now. That leaves garrison to do the work. As to "strong side", for defense yes, for offense, no. Garrison's shot is a weapon much better utilized on the right. He's also very adept defensively on that side as well. To me, his offensive contribution is far too enticing to pass up, so I prefer him on the right at the moment.

i mean he still occassionally plays on the right side pairing alongside hamhuis. because i know hamhuis/edler cannot play the right side at all. not talking about the powerplay

arsmaster*

Anyone else getting tired of seeing JG paired with AE?

I know I am, I know I was screaming at my TV Friday night went JG was just sitting there, the ice had opened up perfectly for a one-timer for Garrison and Edler just continued to bomb away.

I will add the time I was screaming, I stopped quickly because Edler scored, but man I don't think we have two dmen who's style doesn't mesh well together.

Also, I still think JG is nursing at least two injuries, one looks to be a hand injury, the other looks to be that dreaded groin.

If he is hurt, why not rest him and give Corrado some games?

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I want to see Edler paired with Tanev and Garrison with Hamhuis.

Garrison and Hamhuis was a fantastic shutdown pairing last year, and I think Tanev's passing would work better with Edler than Garrison has.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Been pining for a Hamhuis-Garrison and Edler-Tanev pair for a while now. Putting Hamhuis and Tanev together allows offense to die on both of their sticks since they find it difficult to get a shot through traffic while Edler and Garrison at the moment are having a bit more difficulty in actually meshing together in all zones.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
I want to see Edler paired with Tanev and Garrison with Hamhuis.

Garrison and Hamhuis was a fantastic shutdown pairing last year, and I think Tanev's passing would work better with Edler than Garrison has.

Yeah I agree.

I think Tanev's work in the defensive zone and relative deference to his partner at the other end would work pretty well with Edler.

Obviously Hamhuis and Garrison have been successful together in the past as well.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I think Edler is dragging down Garrison in general. Really this should be a monster pairing, but now Garrison is doing the dreaded 'trying to do too much'. Alex isn't making very good decisions, and his almost total refusal to tee it up for Garrison when they are paired on the PP just makes it that much more obvious.

The Edler/Bieksa pairing hasn't worked out that well either PP-wise. I'd like to see Bieksa-Garrison actually.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I think Edler is dragging down Garrison in general. Really this should be a monster pairing, but now Garrison is doing the dreaded 'trying to do too much'. Alex isn't making very good decisions, and his almost total refusal to tee it up for Garrison when they are paired on the PP just makes it that much more obvious.

The Edler/Bieksa pairing hasn't worked out that well either PP-wise. I'd like to see Bieksa-Garrison actually.

I agree Bieksa-Garrison would look good on paper, but given that Bieksa is currently doing so well with Stanton I wouldn't want to break them up just yet.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
so now its Edler's fault Garrison looks crappy?

this guy has done little except look adequate defensively for weeks now. He's not quick, not that physical and not doing anything offensively either.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

this guy has done little except look adequate defensively for weeks now. He's not quick, not that physical and not doing anything offensively either.

How many weeks? How long has he been with Edler?

LolClarkson*

garrison hitting 50pts is not out of the question. most of his goals will come on the powerplay. shoots hard and very accurate.

I like the guy but his shot is not accurate. He misses the net too often !

Its very annoying to watch

arsmaster*

IMO, they are too similar in what they want to do in the offensive zone.

Edler isn't a set up guy, like Brian Campbell was. Edler wants to shoot. I don't know how many times (the reason I bumped this thread) I've seen Edler shoot instead of making the obvious d to d pass for a one-timer since they've been paired.

I don't think that pairing plays to either of their strengths and IMO is a huge reason our scoring from defense, which has always been our hallmark for the last decade+, has gone into the toilet. It's no coincidence the rest of the teams scoring has followed suit.

Dan Hamhuis and Chris Tanev are almost too similar as well, both guys get the puck in positions to shoot and both hesitate until the shot is no longer a good play and the puck ends up back in the corner.

This could probably all go into a Canucks Blueline thread, but I just don't see the d-men being put in the best situations to succeed at this point in the season and it's hurting the club.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Edler and Garrison are pretty much the exact same player, which is why it's so freakin' annoying when they are paired together. Their weaknesses are exploited 2-fold, and their strengths are only half as apparent.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Edler and Garrison are pretty much the exact same player, which is why it's so freakin' annoying when they are paired together. Their weaknesses are exploited 2-fold, and their strengths are only half as apparent.

Well thats what they grt paid the big bucks for. To figure out how to avoid letting their weaknesses become a problem and to utilize their strengths.

Problem is people expectations and the fact that Garrison is a new toy. Hes never given an indication that hes a 40-50 pts guy that some were predicting. I give it a few years before his shine wears off and he starts getting the Bieksa-Edler-Booth treatment.

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada
Garrison hasn't hit the net consistently since his hot start to the season but the one thing that really bugs me about Garrison's game is his lack of physicality.

For a guy that big, he plays a pretty soft game. I like everything else but I wish he wouldn't get pushed around so much by opposing players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->