Jason Garrison

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
It infuriates me that AV refused to try Garrison on Edler's right..

It's unfathomable; 5 points in 4 games. How could AV not see this? And you cannot even argue he just wanted to keep them on their proper side because he moronically tried Edler on the right and eventually paired Garrison with Hamhuis. AV simply had no idea what he had in Garrison.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Garrison has the goals, but I dont think his in-zone defending is at the level it was during his great stretch last season.

Yeah, agreed. He's still been good, but his defensive play has definitely been a little wobblier than when he was playing with Hamhuis last season.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
@Vadim: He's not Ehrhoff, and that puck rushing aspect is missing from the D, but defensively he's light years ahead of what Ehrhoff could ever do. A Salo replacement is fine by me. He can anchor a Dpair like Hamhuis can.

agreed. the one thing i'd like to see garrison do to really get to salo level is hold the puck in on the PP every single time, no matter what. that was a really underrated aspect to salo's game, but in that respect -- and in that respect alone -- salo reminded me of ray bourque. and like bourque, even if the general population didn't acknowledge it much, opposition PKs knew how good salo was at that and there were times when it seemed like they were coached to not even try to clear the puck on salo's side.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
Biggest bust FA signing of last summer, guys. Well, according to "analysts" like Duthie and Shannon. :laugh:

I always thought Garrison kind of looks like the Johnny Canuck character, anyone else?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Still think he looks like Ben Affleck with the beard.

I still think he looks like Johnny Canuck.

johnnycanuck.png

He should dress like that for Halloween.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
It's unfathomable; 5 points in 4 games. How could AV not see this? And you cannot even argue he just wanted to keep them on their proper side because he moronically tried Edler on the right and eventually paired Garrison with Hamhuis. AV simply had no idea what he had in Garrison.

It was maddening, and rightly so.

I still think he looks like Johnny Canuck.

johnnycanuck.png

He should dress like that for Halloween.

It'd be sick if he did, agreed. :laugh:

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Garrison?

I want to know how you guys feel about him this season?

he is producing at a pace well above his average for a season. Do you feel he can keep this up? if not, where do you think he ends the season? 40 points? 50 points?

also I know he has a great shot...but how is the rest of his game? how is his passing, skating, etc?

Thanks!

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

he is producing at a pace well above his average for a season. Do you feel he can keep this up? if not, where do you think he ends the season? 40 points? 50 points?

also I know he has a great shot...but how is the rest of his game? how is his passing, skating, etc?

Thanks!

He should be good for about 30-40 points this season I think.

Won't rack up a ton of points because he's not great at anything else aside from shooting the puck on the PP.

Right now, is our best shut down defense man playing top ES/PK minutes. Expect something along the lines of Girardi when Torts was still in NY.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver

Thanks!

Strong on his skates and along the boards. Rarely gets beat down low. Been our best overal d. Played 29 minutes last night.

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
He's been greenlighted from all points on the ice so while he's obviously not gonna continue at the current pace, 40 seems likely. I don't think 50+ is out of the question.

He's 13th in the NHL in shots - most of any defensemen, with 2 more than the classless one.

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
Strong on his skates and along the boards. Rarely gets beat down low. Been our best overal d. Played 29 minutes last night.

Still think Edler was playing better. He showed dominant form a couple of games and has been chewing up minutes while looking good all over the ice. Hopefully the suspension doesn't cost him any momentum.

I love our defense this year(fully expect Hamhuis to turn it around).

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
This guy is perfect defensively, I've seen him get beat once this whole season. These extra points are just a luxiary. I do not understand how anyone that actually watches our games(looking at you TSN) can say he's been a disappointment. I would argue he was the best FA signing last year.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Garrison is probably my favourite Canucks defensemen in over a decade. He just plays the game exactly how I want a defenseman to play.

His point totals will depend primarily on the power play and puck luck/who he's on the ice with at 5 on 5. It's pretty hard to get a read on that, but if he keeps directing the puck on net like he has been, he has a legitimate chance to be a 40-45 point D this year, particularly as the Canucks don't have any other legitimate PP options for the first unit other than Edler.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
He should be good for about 30-40 points this season I think.

Won't rack up a ton of points because he's not great at anything else aside from shooting the puck on the PP.

Right now, is our best shut down defense man playing top ES/PK minutes. Expect something along the lines of Girardi when Torts was still in NY.

Ya don't listen to this guy.

Obviously he's not going to have a PPG season, but 50-60 points is realistic. He's getting tons of ice time, first line PP, and he shoots A LOT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad