Jason Garrison

Defeatist*

Book him for 50 points now that he's been unleashed offensively with AV gone!

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Garrison being unleashed is another reason why Torts > AV

I have a theory that the Rangers have been horrible all along, the only reason they appeared good was that Torts got more out of his players.

No playoffs in New York this year with AV.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Garrison has been very good and it's nice to see him get some points but I'd argue he was all around even better at the end of last year when he and Hamhuis were by far the Canucks' best pair.

Everyone notices his slapshot but the biggest thing I've noticed is just how strong his stick is. He uses a long one and breaks more passes and plays with it than any other Canucks defenceman. I'm sure him being ripped and insanely strong helps in that regard. Getting his stick in lanes, poke checks and fishing the puck is so effortless, strong and fast with just one hand on stick. Also his compete level is excellent.

He's not exactly a PP QB nor are breakouts through him the cleanest, so I'd say when Edler is on his game he's clearly this team's number 1 defenceman, but Garrison is a very good and solid 22min 2-3 guy with the amazing shot.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
I am really liking our D this year. Edler, Garrison and Hamhuis are not elite 1D on a cup winner like Chara and Keith, but LA won with Doughty who isn't much better than these guys. I think if Gillis can add a good 3c and another reliable botton defencemen (I don't trust Weber and Alberts) we can make it far in the playoffs.

Stanton is pretty reliable...

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
How huge has Garrison's full transition to the right side been? Where I spent much time debating whether Garrison had played the right side in FLA with posters who said he hadn't, the proof now is evident that he can... And he has been very, very good at it.

The Edler-Garrison pairing is allowing Torts to have a 1st Dpair impact while Hamhuis spends time figuring things out. When he gets back to form, then this team will have the 2011 top pair playing behind the neo top pair they currently have. A great structure to have.

arsmaster*

How huge has Garrison's full transition to the right side been? Where I spent much time debating whether Garrison had played the right side in FLA with posters who said he hadn't, the proof now is evident that he can... And he has been very, very good at it.

The Edler-Garrison pairing is allowing Torts to have a 1st Dpair impact while Hamhuis spends time figuring things out. When he gets back to form, then this team will have the 2011 top pair playing behind the neo top pair they currently have. A great structure to have.

Garrison has the goals, but I dont think his in-zone defending is at the level it was during his great stretch last season.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Loving Garrison's play of late.

I was doubtful of him when we picked him up last year and he was sluggish at first, but he's really stepped it up since then and he's got a chance to have a big season.

Keep scoring Garrybomb, you're my steal in my hockey pool!

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Loving Garrison's play of late.

I was doubtful of him when we picked him up last year and he was sluggish at first, but he's really stepped it up since then and he's got a chance to have a big season.

Keep scoring Garrybomb, you're my steal in my hockey pool!

You must have not gotten the memo... as of last night we started calling him Norrison. :sarcasm:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
NuxFan09, Garrison has more in common with Weber than he does with Souray.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
^ i'd settle for gary as souray if that means edler develops into a bigger, physical, non-brittle markov. but yeah, he is better than souray in every respect other than the pp. weber is really pushing it though.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
He was trending up as last year went on so the signing looked great by the end of the year last year (plus there were teams that were rumored to offer him more money like Hamhuis). This year with AV gone, he's getting even more chances to succeed (namely PP time) and it looks like he's taking advantage of that.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
can u compare garrison to a former canuck willie mitchell defensively though. the difference though is garry has a howitzer of a shot. both are pretty good defensively. big strong. but garrison looks fit and is much stronger. his skating is still awkward.. but i hope he pots in 15-20 goals this season. 10 of them on the powerplay alone. will probably make us forget who erhoff is.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
re: ehrhoff, i don't know man. his ability to rush and move the puck did so much for this team. gary's better defensively of course, and his blast from the point keeps pks honest and from cheating off and man-on-manning the sedins, but he's replaced salo. what ehrhoff did here remains a hole.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
So what's the over/under on how many times "analysts" refer to this as a "bounce back season" for him over....say the next month?

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada

I really don't think there are any set pairings as they've been mixed and matched differently to start every game as well as in-game. It was Hamhuis-Garrison against the Devils.

While Torts is probably doing this to find which pairings work and which don't, this process is also pushing each defenseman to play better than they have as they cannot be as reliant on their partner as before with AV, who loved working with set pairs that rarely changed game to game.

Torts just wants to see them play and play a lot and with a new coach, every guy wants to show that they can contribute.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Garrison has the goals, but I dont think his in-zone defending is at the level it was during his great stretch last season.

Haven't noticed a decline, but I will watch out for it. Last year he started off slow then picked it up. If there are issues in his Dzone coverage, maybe he works them out as he settles.

@Vadim: He's not Ehrhoff, and that puck rushing aspect is missing from the D, but defensively he's light years ahead of what Ehrhoff could ever do. A Salo replacement is fine by me. He can anchor a Dpair like Hamhuis can.

I really don't think there are any set pairings as they've been mixed and matched differently to start every game as well as in-game. It was Hamhuis-Garrison against the Devils.

While Torts is probably doing this to find which pairings work and which don't, this process is also pushing each defenseman to play better than they have as they cannot be as reliant on their partner as before with AV, who loved working with set pairs that rarely changed game to game.

Torts just wants to see them play and play a lot and with a new coach, every guy wants to show that they can contribute.

No you're right, there's no set pairs at the moment. My comment was based on the chunk of time Edler and Garrison have already seen together, and have done well under. Hopefully that is the pairing they settle on.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Still think he looks like Ben Affleck with the beard.

arsmaster*

Haven't noticed a decline, but I will watch out for it. Last year he started off slow then picked it up. If there are issues in his Dzone coverage, maybe he works them out as he settles.

Soft coverage, bad gap, weaker stick.

Just in isolated instances. They aren't tendencies. Last year those were few and far between after about game 8.

I think it has to do with the system and trying to get comfortable on his new side. Either way, I'm not trying to knock him, I just think he can get even better (back to where he was late last season).

I'll take the goals anytime though. ;)

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Still think he looks like Ben Affleck with the beard.

He reminds me of Daniel Day Lewis.

daniel-day-lewis.jpg

Jason-Garrison-161618203-Jeff-Vinnick.jpg

Especially in Nuckles avatar with him wearing the top hat and monocle. Reminds me of the "Gangs of New York" Lewis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad