Waived: Jason Garrison with Vegas

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
If it's a trade to edm then the 4th would be coming from Vegas not edm since fayne makes less

They'd send Garrison to the AHL before they added picks in a trade - the pick would be coming to Vegas for taking a cap dump off the other team's hands.

I could see MTL, COL, EDM, ARI, maybe even NJ and FLA all being interested.

Hadn't thought of Colorado. Garrison and Colborne make the same salary, so if the Avs threw in a late pick that would be a good swap.

I think Arizona takes him. They could add the veteran guy in the lineup over Connauton. Unless they don't want to add the salary and stay young.

If he falls to Montreal 2nd in the list, which is weird to think about as they have rarely ever been there. I think he could help shore up the defense over Davidson and Morrow. Garrison plays a smart game IMO with the puck. I only seen Las Vegas play twice so far this year I don't think he played in one of them and the other he just had a simple game.

Waiver order is still determined by last year's standings until November 1, so the Habs are in the mid-20's not 2nd.
And I still don't know if he's any better than the LD they already have.

I think Arizona makes sense if they want to wait for him to clear and then trade Connauton to Vegas for Garrison, to replace him in their lineup and clear a contract.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I figured it was a no brainer for them to trade him with 50% retention, a 2 million dollar garrison is not that bad

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Habs are like "one does not simply get a center or a puck moving defenseman! This isn't a video game"

Vegas is like "what are we gonna dooooo with all these Cs and Ds, man?"

Haula just came off IR so another roster player had to be moved. Reinhart still counts as a roster player, so really it's Tuch staying up that's keeping Shipachyov out of the lineup.
Gotcha. I was referring to the start of the season where mcphee refused to waive garrison or any of the other few mediocre dmen (or forwards) in order to get ship in the lineup

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
lol there's a 100% chance he clears. Just because a team has cap room doesn't mean they want to waste a ridiculous amount of it on a rapidly declining guy like Garrison, nor does having cap room mean they actually money in the budget. If a team wants him, they'll wait for him to clear and then get Vegas to either retain salary, take another bad contract back, or both.

Arizona is going to claim him for sure? Really? How much money are they losing already? At this point they could add Karlsson and still miss the playoffs. Does their ownership want to add that sort of money to a guy who might get them a couple extra points in the standings over the course of the rest of the season?

Reactions: SomeoneGreat

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He's done, skating is getting worse by the day, doesn't play very physical, all he has left is his shot and nobody should be paying 4.6 for that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Too slow for today's frenetic pace in the NHL......probably clears and heads to the minors.....an expensive contract for the AHL, but maybe Vegas can move him at the deadline to someone desperate for blueline depth.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Too slow for today's frenetic pace in the NHL......probably clears and heads to the minors.....an expensive contract for the AHL, but maybe Vegas can move him at the deadline to someone desperate for blueline depth.
his cap hit is 4.6 avv but his salary dropped to 2.5 million this year no reason for montreal not to try and claim him

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Unless the other team wants to send salary back. That's why I think he clears and then we see...

Exactly.
Bear in mind: Garrison DOES have a No Trade Clause, which could have caused some issue when McPhee originally tried to move him while he was being scratched.

EDIT: My guess is Garrison to Edmonton for Fayne + 4th round pick.

That's about my guess, too. I think he clears, mostly because of his salary/caphit, and the Oilers work out a trade to boast their top-7 D. Auvitu isn't cutting it, and we need someone who can step in on the 3rd pairing when someone is struggling (like Gryba or Benning does sometimes), and we lack that player. Garrison would be a perfect fit for us in terms of adding crucial depth to our D -- something Chia should've done during the summer, but hope this happens.

Reactions: Sir Goose

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Pretty sad to see this. He had a couple of solid years in TB, but then his footspeed became a bigtime issue, and now here we are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad