Confirmed with Link: Jason Botterill Hired As General Manager -- MOD WARNING #1851

Status
Not open for further replies.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Trading 2 1st round picks in what is going to be the best draft in a generation will haunt this team for the next decade. (Not JBs fault obviously). Getting crap back for ROR sucks, but maybe we get the next Pasternak with that pick.
I agree. 2015 will haunt is. But I wouldn’t hold my breath that the pick works out.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
This needs to be mentioned every time someone brings up fixing the culture with ROR. There is not a shred of evidence to suggest Botts' reasoning for the trade was anything other than "well i can't keep a last place team together, and he's the oldest member of the core with the biggest cap hit, so he's obviously the one to move." Not a single shred of evidence, in a league where I can read about Artemi Panarin's trade request, and Duchene not speaking to anyone for weeks while still on the Avalanche after a trade demand, while I'm on the toilet.

And no, Vogl writing the phrase "vortex of sadness" in a sneering tone after pretending to care about mental health issues because Lehner gave him a story, is not evidence of a ravaged culture.

Clearly your phrasing counts as fact, and Vogl's is fantasy.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I keeping with the spirit of the mod warning in post 1851, I am not going to address ROR specifically, but from a rumor perspective, ever since Murray left and they cleaned up whatever leaky employee/trainer in the org, the Botterill operation has been very tight with information and many of the trades and moves were made while sometime speculated by posters, there weren't any preceding media 'rumors'.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
People keep conveniently forgetting ROR’s father and the COR saga. Hilarious

Glad Botterill puts team culture first. What he did with Moulson was magical.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

As was pointed out by many an Amerk fan, Rochester could have used Moulson’s on-ice abilities last year. Being willing to let Matt go home to family was nice, it was professional, but magical? It isn’t like he made that cap hit go away.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
As was pointed out by many an Amerk fan, Rochester could have used Moulson’s on-ice abilities last year. Being willing to let Matt go home to family was nice, it was professional, but magical? It isn’t like he made that cap hit go away.

What did it matter? All of Murray’s draft picks failed to take the team anywhere and they’ve almost all been traded away already. Those guys were given a chance and choked it.

Building a team of accountability and stuffing someone who failed away is great.

The majority of Botterills deals have revolves around the Amerks. You can’t say he’s been ignoring them.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
ROR - I feel like we are becoming the jealous ex-boyfriend who stalks their ex relentlessly on Facebook. We knew we may have overreacted that night she said she might not be that into our relationship...and for a hot minute we thought we could do better...and now here we are.

PS - I am happily married

On lamenting drafts....How about 2014 when we missed Brayden Point and Brandon Montour despite having 897 2nd round picks! Damn you Tim Murray!

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
ROR - I feel like we are becoming the jealous ex-boyfriend who stalks their ex relentlessly on Facebook. We knew we may have overreacted that night she said she might not be that into our relationship...and for a hot minute we thought we could do better...and now here we are.

PS - I am happily married

On lamenting drafts....How about 2014 when we missed Brayden Point and Brandon Montour despite having 897 2nd round picks! Damn you Tim Murray!

I've been over ROR for a while. He's on another team and we're battling for a playoff spot. Something we never did when he was here. Sorry Ryan, you're a great on ice talent that didn't work out in Buffalo. Moving on!

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012

So your saying you'd rather see Buffalo finish last 10 years straight but have "good team culture" then having a good team. That's beside the fact that there is no evidence that O'Reilly was any sort of problem.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I've been over ROR for a while. He's on another team and we're battling for a playoff spot. Something we never did when he was here. Sorry Ryan, you're a great on ice talent that didn't work out in Buffalo. Moving on!

I wish I was. Yeah, it bugs me that a city like Buffalo, where it's hard enough to draw in high skilled players, let's one go for crap because he said something dumb. And it wasn't even that bad. It's not like he said "I hate this city" or "I hate my teamates". Itvwas just a player venting after a frustrating season. Now we have a huge hole where a once very good center was and good luck finding another to come here without way overpaying him.

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
I thought being a good hockey team was the goal?

Prior to the 10 game streak everyone's expectation was to be better then last year and be in the playoff race. Both of which are currently true. The fancy stats aren't much better I will admit, but anyone saying they expected a playoff caliber team at the start of the year is lying.

Not to mention the multiple agendas against players on the team and now off the team...

The only thing that makes less sense then all the griping about the team being now 4 points out of a play off spot, are the people who on monday complain about not having traded assets for help....and then wednesday stating that they don't want to mortgage the future. It's literally like some sabres fans have an innate case of Dissociative Identity Disorder

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
What did it matter? All of Murray’s draft picks failed to take the team anywhere and they’ve almost all been traded away already. Those guys were given a chance and choked it.

Building a team of accountability and stuffing someone who failed away is great.

The majority of Botterills deals have revolves around the Amerks. You can’t say he’s been ignoring them.

Eichel, Reinhart and Brendan Lemieux are in the NHL. Guhle and Borgen are a step away and will be NHLers. Asplund isn't far off. Johansson the goalie showed very well when called up to Rochester. Olofsson may make it and then there's Alex Nylander. If 8 of Murray's draft picks make the show that's a pretty good record.

Reactions: Franson

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Eichel, Reinhart and Brendan Lemieux are in the NHL. Guhle and Borgen are a step away and will be NHLers. Asplund isn't far off. Johansson the goalie showed very well when called up to Rochester. Olofsson may make it and then there's Alex Nylander. If 8 of Murray's draft picks make the show that's a pretty good record.
Eichel and Reinhart were 2OA. Lemieux had rumored to refuse to sign with Buffalo, and was immediately traded anyway. Guhle is a huge question mark. Props for the 7th rounder? If he knew he would be an NHLer, he would've picked him in the 2nd or 3rd round. Can't credit nearly any team for a 7th round pick panning out. Murray traded away half of his 1st and 2nd round draft picks for no players still on the team today, let's not let him off for that.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

A non-top 3 pick needs to make an impact in the NHL, and then I’ll start giving credit. (McCabe and Ullmark were Reiger picks.)

Bailey,Baptiste,Facshing were all “not far off” in August 2017. Then it cratered from there.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Prior to the 10 game streak everyone's expectation was to be better then last year and be in the playoff race. Both of which are currently true. The fancy stats aren't much better I will admit, but anyone saying they expected a playoff caliber team at the start of the year is lying.

Not to mention the multiple agendas against players on the team and now off the team...

The only thing that makes less sense then all the griping about the team being now 4 points out of a play off spot, are the people who on monday complain about not having traded assets for help....and then wednesday stating that they don't want to mortgage the future. It's literally like some sabres fans have an innate case of Dissociative Identity Disorder
I think you hit the nail on the regarding the winning streak. I think that elevated everyone's expectations and how could it not? I think that the reality is we were winning games we probably shouldn't have been winning. I think the team has looked a lot better in the games we have won since the win streak, but the games we lost have looked awful because we are still young and coming off of a last place finish.

Between the win streak and the polarizing trades that Botts has made, we have a lot of fans with different expectations and differing opinions on the state of our roster. I think the only gripe that most all of us can agree on is Phil's player usage - which has had more of a "torpedo effect" on the season than any one roster player. That said, I agree that we're right where a lot of us expected to be before the season started. Being in the hunt is definitely better than bottom five again.

Reactions: debaser66

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
A non-top 3 pick needs to make an impact in the NHL, and then I’ll start giving credit. (McCabe and Ullmark were Reiger picks.)

Bailey,Baptiste,Facshing were all “not far off” in August 2017. Then it cratered from there.

Bailey's already been called up by the Flyers. One or two of that trio may have NHL careers. Point is you can't judge drafts in the short term.

I did notice Casey Fitzgerald's having a bad season offensively, not a good sign, I liked him as a US WJC player.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Bailey's already been called up by the Flyers. One or two of that trio may have NHL careers. Point is you can't judge drafts in the short term.

I did notice Casey Fitzgerald's having a bad season offensively, not a good sign, I liked him as a US WJC player.

Everyone at BC is having a bad offensive season.

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
I think you hit the nail on the regarding the winning streak. I think that elevated everyone's expectations and how could it not? I think that the reality is we were winning games we probably shouldn't have been winning. I think the team has looked a lot better in the games we have won since the win streak, but the games we lost have looked awful because we are still young and coming off of a last place finish.

Between the win streak and the polarizing trades that Botts has made, we have a lot of fans with different expectations and differing opinions on the state of our roster. I think the only gripe that most all of us can agree on is Phil's player usage - which has had more of a "torpedo effect" on the season than any one roster player. That said, I agree that we're right where a lot of us expected to be before the season started. Being in the hunt is definitely better than bottom five again.

Agreed. I cannot fathom how he determines the usage/lines/match-ups he does. Other then darts at a board....which he will then do the opposite of because even throwing darts at a board will provide better results....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->