Confirmed with Link: Jason Botterill Hired As General Manager -- MOD WARNING #1851

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonnEbunny

Apr 9, 2012
But he had a successful minor league team which was DEPRIVED of 1st round talent which does lead me to be more optimistic.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I still have doubts. It's pretty hard to flop in Pittsburgh when you have Crosby and Malkin. Even Bylsma won a cup there.
Forget about Pittsburgh. Look at the job he did with WBS, particularly the overall team success and identification of talent, and following development how that talent translated to the NHL. Sprinkle in his hiring of Sullivan and there should be plenty of room for optimism.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I still have doubts. It's pretty hard to flop in Pittsburgh when you have Crosby and Malkin. Even Bylsma won a cup there.

What is the reasoning for how well his teams he built have performed in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton?

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Is HF Sabre fans united right now!? Also, I could see Chris Taylor named HC of the Amerks. He played with Botterill, coached the Amerks for 3 years and then went to WBS this past season as an assistant. Although, I'm sure whom ever he hires as a HC in Buffalo will likely have a say in the AHL HC.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Hoping for:

Coach - housley

Rochester gm - someone who's not Jason

Rochester coach - up and coming Jason likes

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Let it be noted that most people didn't have him on the top of their lists at the start, and even so, all seem satisfied, optimistic, and supportive.

For when inevitably someone critiques a move later on and in comes the barrage of "ugh these fans hate on everything with their mass psychosis of agendas and hateful hate."

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Good hire. What he does with his coaching staff will be the first big test and will tell us a lot about him and what he plans on doing with this team.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Let it be noted that most people didn't have him on the top of their lists at the start, and even so, all seem satisfied, optimistic, and supportive.

For when inevitably someone critiques a move later on and in comes the barrage of "ugh these fans hate on everything with their mass psychosis of agendas and hateful hate."

I wasn't sold on him when he was first brought up as a candidate, but more and more evidence kept piling up that he's exactly the right guy for the job and I'm thrilled he was hired. The way Pens fans talk about him in such glowing terms is what really put him over the top for me, every account I've read is that he's great at what he does, and they're very sad to be losing him. Speaks volumes when sharp hockey fans talk that way about a team executive.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Forget about Pittsburgh. Look at the job he did with WBS, particularly the overall team success and identification of talent, and following development how that talent translated to the NHL. Sprinkle in his hiring of Sullivan and there should be plenty of room for optimism.

This is why Penguins fans have been so high on him for years. The Baby Pens made the AHL playoffs every year of Botterill's tenure, despite lacking early draft talent and constantly being raided due to excessive injuries being an annual story in Pittsburgh. Not only has Botterill kept WBS relevant, he's given the Penguins a consistent pipeline in (cheap) talent.

Then there's the fact that he's masterful when it comes to dealing with the cap. The amount of paper moves and weird oddities that he and the Pens had to get everything out of to be cap compliant with 10 guys injured is something I can barely wrap my head around.

There are obvious questions about how good of a GM he'll be, who knows how good he is at acquiring NHL talent, who knows how well he is at managing NHL egos, etc.... but he's been as good of an AGM as you could ever ask for, and he will be dearly missed by the Penguins.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

My top two picks, of the rumored options, were Futa and Fenton. Liked all the options with maybe a bit of reservation about Fitzgerald

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Finally official. Happy with the hire. Hopefully this is the last GM search we'll have to suffer through in a long while.

pleasehireagoodcoachpleasehireagoodcoachpleasehireagoodcoachpleasehireagoodcoachpleasehireagoodcoachpleasehireagoodcoachpleasehireagoodcoachpleasehireagoodcoachpleasehireagoodcoachpleasehireagoodcoach

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
His success is going to ride on his first coaching choice, whether it's fair or not. I hope he brings in something positive. It can't be worse than Bylsma, not even Nolan was that bad.

I would think Rochester will be happy with this signing. They will get overhauled and possibly an AGM to focus on them alone. If you believe in the "winning" attitude, this is just as important. Though simply removing the forced Bylsma's system from Rochester will go a long way towards them being more successful.

He has a very important expansion draft coming up with the best opportunity ever to have other team's forced to move budding defenseman, so the ability to overhaul our defense will never be better. I hope he has some realistic plans. And he doesn't see Ennis or Moulson as some sort of reclamation project.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
But he had a successful minor league team which was DEPRIVED of 1st round talent which does lead me to be more optimistic.

It's a different league. He managed to put up 37 goals for the Amerks one season and could never produce in the NHL. He was a good career minor leaguer. It's better to be successful in the minors than not, but it doesn't mean much on its own.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY

Getting this take in early so you can throw a hissy fit later I see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->