Confirmed with Link: Jason Botterill Hired As General Manager -- MOD WARNING #1851

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Brandon would have every right to make calls in advance. It shows he's doing his job.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Not that crazy to me. Sounds like they inquired with Pitt about Botterill as a mind, to gather insight into what options are out there IF they fire Murray.

The meetings occur and the decision is made... we circle right back to PIT for permission to officially interview Botterill.

Is that all copacetic rule wise?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Im confused....

It's another banner day for the Buffalo News sports department. :laugh:

It's one thing that they're scooped about the local teams by national media but WGR also does it to them .... and then even when their news gathering is just listening to an interview on WGR they can't even get that straight.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I think his boogeyman status is overplayed. It's well within his role as team President to make that call. It's not meddling.
It's not that he's making the call to Pittsburgh, it's that there was an organizational push against Murray. Who else is even in the fold with that kind of pull?

NHL ops/Pegs/Brandon? That's a cabal of know-nothings.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It's not that he's making the call to Pittsburgh, it's that there was an organizational push against Murray. Who else is even in the fold with that kind of pull?

NHL ops/Pegs/Brandon? That's a cabal of know-nothings.

I think its fairly obvious Pegula is behind the firing of Murray and Disco.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Not that crazy to me. Sounds like they inquired with Pitt about Botterill as a mind, to gather insight into what options are out there IF they fire Murray.

The meetings occur and the decision is made... we circle right back to PIT for permission to officially interview Botterill.

Is that all copacetic rule wise?

Which rule? Only rule that I'm aware of is that the Sabres couldn't contact/talk to Botterill without permission from the Pens. They followed that.

I liked Murray, I wish I had real explanations as to what the hell was going on behind the scenes that seems like such a mess. I can only assume he just wasn't ready for the office managerial parts of the job. Plus I can't wrap my head around how bad Bylsma was, but so it goes.

Hoping for good things from Botterill, though I fear the one thing we'll continue to see is how hard it is to actually get proven defensemen.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I think his boogeyman status is overplayed. It's well within his role as team President to make that call. It's not meddling.

I agree, and that's the reason he shouldn't be team president. Issues concerning hockey ops (or football ops) should be taken out of his hands.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
So who was behind the extension?

Pegula.

For good or ill the reshaping of both front offices traces back to McDermitt.

EDIT: What I mean by that is everyone hired since McDermitt has been described in a similar fashion. Well structured, detail oriented, great communication skills, etc. The Pegula's have finally settled on the type of person that want running things for their teams. Time will tell if they can win with the ones currently hired.

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
where are people getting this that Pittsburgh was contacted before Murray and Bylsma were fired? i heard the quote, I read the quote - Rutherford said without stumbling that the president contacted him shortly AFTER Buffalo made the change(firings).

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
where are people getting this that Pittsburgh was contacted before Murray and Bylsma were fired? i heard the quote, I read the quote - Rutherford said without stumbling that the president contacted him shortly AFTER Buffalo made the change(firings).

The quote, as Vogl has it, is Rutherford took the call from the Sabres and, "shortly after" Buffalo made the change, implying Buffalo reached out to Pittsburgh before they fired Murray.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Congrats, pens fans wanted him to take over for Rutherford after he retired.

Majority of pens fans warned about how bad Bylsma was, but this time i don't think any pens fans would speak negatively about Botterill. Just fyi the pens own the active playoff streak record in both the NHL and AHL at 11 and 15 seasons respectively, largely due to Botterill's work.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

there's a really important comma in there.

Shortly after, Buffalo made the change

So, shortly after being contacted... Buffalo fired Murray

The contact came before the firing

I read it wrong the first time too

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
there's a really important comma in there.

So, shortly after being contacted... Buffalo fired Murray

The contact came before the firing

I read it wrong the first time too

You can listen to the interview yourself. It's not clear to me what he's saying at all. Vogl's quote leaves out words between the two sentences he created (before "Shortly after").

"[...] I got a call from the President.. uhh... I'm not exactly sure when it was, but certainly within the last month ... aaand there shortly after the change was made in Buffalo [...]"

That is unclear to me. He could be saying he was contacted, then shortly after the change was made. He could be narrowing the time down, e.g. it took place in the last month after the change was made. There is definitely no pause after "shortly after". The pause comes before "and".

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I heard the interview live and it sounded like 'I was contacted shortly after the change'

must be in their audio archive already.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
my favorite thing about the Botterill hire:

Cole-Schultz
Maatta-Daley
Dumoulin-Hainsey

Their blueline... taking them to the ECF was built with:

Cole for Bortuzzo and a 7th round pick (acquired deadline 2015)
Schultz for a 3rd round pick (acquired deadline 2016)
Maatta drafted 22nd overall
Daley for Scuderi (in season 2015-16)
Dumoulin acquired as a prospect as part of Staal package (2012)
Hainsey for 2nd round pick (deadline 2017)

We're not trading Reinhart for a defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->