Jason Botterill Discussion Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Botterill knew the season was going to get canceled didn't he? People keep doubting this hockey savant.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
He is still GM. Bleh.
But it's bad taste to fire him during the crisis.

Meanwhile, millions of Americans who are far more competent at their jobs than this dolt are about to be laid off in the coming months.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
But it's bad taste to fire him during the crisis.

Meanwhile, millions of Americans who are far more competent at their jobs than this dolt are about to be laid off in the coming months.

Eh, he will still be paid, just won’t have a job.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Coronavirus has likely saved his job

Doubt it. This doesn't change anything about his track record. They weren't making the playoffs and weren't improving, regardless of what happens with the rest of this season.

Reactions: jc17

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It actually may be for the best. Imagine if they went on a little streak because teams didn't take them seriously and we were facing back-up goalies? That may have convinced Pegula the team was 'growing'.

They ended the season losing what? 6 of their last 7 when Botts sold us on a playoff push? Yeah- he's a goner.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Harrington thinks it may have
While we await the next faceoff, the Sabres and NHL face lots of questions
Does the situation save Jason Botterill's job for now? Maybe. There's going to be so much chaos involved with the league's offseason calendar – and so little chance to do any scouting and maybe player interviews because of the virus outbreak – that it might be imprudent to fire the general manager and try to bring somebody else in. A new regime would have little chance to make its own evaluation of players and it might be difficult to get new hockey operations staffers on board in the current climate.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

So there's going to be little chance for teams to do things like scouting (during the summer?), so it doesn't make sense to change GM's because...he wouldn't have a chance to evaluate the team? That makes no sense. If there's little time to evaluate non-roster players, doesn't that give more time to evaluate roster players?

Then again, why am I debating a point from Harrington in the first place...

FormerSabresFan

Sep 14, 2015
Only hope is they fire him the day they announce the season is done.

Not sure why it couldn't be then before then, might be in bad taste, but at least there is hope they're holding out for the official end of the regular season.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Can I just say, given what has happened on the Bills side of PSE today, if the Pegula's wanted to get the Sabres fans on their side, it's as good a time as ever to fire GMJB

Reactions: Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Down Goes Brown: Remembering my worst power rankings of the...

3. The Sabres in the top five … almost: Hey, remember that thing I said up there about ranking the Sabres in the top five being among my very worst calls last year? They say that one of the basic measures of intelligence is the ability to learn from past experiences. So I’m proud to report that this year, even when he Sabres were briefly tied for first overall, I did not make the same mistake.

Barely.

However, I did put the Sabres in the “not ranked” section in late October, and while that section is not meant to automatically mean a team is ranked sixth that week, it sometimes does. And here are some of the things I wrote about those Sabres: “[T]his really does look like a different team under Ralph Krueger.” “It’s all coming together.” And the kicker: “The Sabres aren’t there yet, but they’re getting close. Stayed tuned, and we’ll see if they can kick down the door.”

Spoiler alert: The door remains exceedingly unkicked. And in hindsight, my fear of looking bad on the same team two years in a row saved me. But only barely, which is why this one deserves a mention, even if it’s not in the running for the top spot.

I can name something else that remains unkicked....

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I had the same thought. From the comments above, seems like most disagree.

But I imagine it might be harder to do a proper GM search in the coming months, and with all the uncertainty of when the season will restart (if at all), what training camp + preseason will be like, free agency, the draft, etc.
Just so much unknown right now.

Plus, IMO I feel like it could be tougher for a new GM to take over right now. What if the players aren’t allowed around the facilities for a while? Again, what if no training camp/preseason. How does a new GM truly get to know his new team? By video scouting and phone conversations? How does he get a feel for what the locker room is like+what it needs? How does he evaluate his scouting staff? And the organization as a whole if everyone’s working remotely?

Just so many small issues that you probably would never think of.
Sure, some of it can be overcome with the technology we have. But it would probably be far from ideal.

And I feel like the fan backlash will probably be less than what it would’ve been. People have much bigger concerns right now, and once we are able to actually go to a crowded sporting event again, I can’t see many boycotting due to the GM. I think people will just be thrilled hockey is back (I know I will).

Personally, I can’t imagine the pegulas make the change any time soon. But maybe if things don’t get as bad as I’m worried they will, I’ll feel differently in a couple/few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad