Jason Botterill Discussion Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
If the NHL suspends the season or eventually cancels the rest of the regular season how does it effect the Pegula’s decision on Botterill?

My gut tells me it would help him as they would say we didn’t get to see the season play out or firing him would cost more money and we lost a lot with the season ending so early.

I agree. I am pretty sure the regular season is over right now.

This is only going to help Botterill. We were putting together a truly ugly March and I think things were only going to get worse. I think Pegula has made firings in the past based somewhat on emotion and I think he may have done it again this year, especially if the crowds at the arena started getting ugly.

Now that Botterill has been saved from all that, his future is much more open ended.

Reactions: VaporTrail

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He got good assets in the Miller trade. He maneuvered the roster to get Eichel, a side effect of the Kane trade (by sending Staffort the other way, while Kane was injured for the rest of the season). Drafted a likely 30 goal guy VO in the 7th round. But yeah, it's a short list.

This has always been one of the more detached from reality talking points.

Drafting Eichel (And Sam) was the end product of the organization deciding to tank well before Murray was hired. Regier had already torn the bulk of the roster down. It was to the point we were the worst team in 13-14 and already in last place when Murray was hired (Jan 2014).

All Murray had to do was to keep the worst team in hockey at the bottom of the standings. Which isn’t all that difficult to accomplish. All it required was trading the few decent players left at the 2014 deadline (like the Miller trade you referenced). Then don;t build it back up in the offseason.

Which brings us to the 2015 deadline when we were again in last place. There is little evidence, based on our record pre and post deadline, that Stafford had to be traded to ensure finishing last. But let’s assume for the sake of discussion he did. All that was required was to trade him for a picks and/or prospects to get him off the roster.

Instead we got one of Murray’s idiotic overpayment trades that cost us in the long run. He gave up good assets like Myers, Armia, Lemieux and a 2015 1st for a bad dman on a bad deal (Bogo) and a top 6 winger with baggage (Kane) who contributed to the dysfunctional lockerroom.

Its amazing to me any one would look at this trade was anything other than a mistake. It sure as hell didn’t need to happen to ensure us bottoming out. It get you're trying to contort logic to give Murray credit for Eichel. But think it through a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grinder81

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
@slip

Murray certainly deserves credit for the assets acquired in the Miller/Ott trade and drafting VO. But when he wastes a chunk of the assets in later trades and only has VO to show for the 23 picks outside of Jack/Sam. Its hard to say he accomplished much of anything as GM. But its very easy to say he was a very big net negative as our GM.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Anyone that defends Murray must defend his drafting. Pointing out the good things is nice and all, but he had a wealth of draft picks and whiffed at a freakishly bad rate. That was devastating for a franchise that ranked for the purpose of hoarding draft picks.

Don’t get me wrong, Botts is worse. But Murray’s tenure was bad. If he had more time, maybe he would have turned this team around. But judging on the time he did have, bad bad bad

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
I’
This has always been one of the more detached from reality talking points.

Drafting Eichel (And Sam) was the end product of the organization deciding to tank well before Murray was hired. Regier had already torn the bulk of the roster down. It was to the point we were the worst team in 13-14 and already in last place when Murray was hired (Jan 2014).

All Murray had to do was to keep the worst team in hockey at the bottom of the standings. Which isn’t all that difficult to accomplish. All it required was trading the few decent players left at the 2014 deadline (like the Miller trade you referenced). Then don;t build it back up in the offseason.

Which brings us to the 2015 deadline when we were again in last place. There is little evidence, based on our record pre and post deadline, that Stafford had to be traded to ensure finishing last. But let’s assume for the sake of discussion he did. All that was required was to trade him for a picks and/or prospects to get him off the roster.

Instead we got one of Murray’s idiotic overpayment trades that cost us in the long run. He gave up good assets like Myers, Armia, Lemieux and a 2015 1st for a bad dman on a bad deal (Bogo) and a top 6 winger with baggage (Kane) who contributed to the dysfunctional lockerroom.

Its amazing to me any one would look at this trade was anything other than a mistake. It sure as hell didn’t need to happen to ensure us bottoming out. It get you're trying to contort logic to give Murray credit for Eichel. But think it through a bit.
Of course Murray positioned the team to be in the thick of the McEichel sweepstakes. Of course trading one of our better forwards at the deadline for an injured Kane improved our tank game. Your Murray Derangement Syndrome has clouded your judgement.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I’

Of course Murray positioned the team to be in the thick of the McEichel sweepstakes. Of course trading one of our better forwards at the deadline for an injured Kane improved our tank game. Your Murray Derangement Syndrome has clouded your judgement.
I'd also add it's easy in hindsight to look at that deal and cry about what we gave up, but the bottomline was we got the best player in the deal and it did help the tank. Murray had a much much better eye for professional talent then Botterill does. Kane is and has been a 1st liner, Lehner has been one of the better goaltenders in the league, O'Reilly is obviously a stud. Those were his 3 biggest moves and all 3 of them are good players. Again, in hindsight we probably should have just stayed the course, but while these deals were "overpayments" every one of them combined didn't hurt this franchise as much as moving O'Reilly for a pile of garbage.

Reactions: Drunkard and slip
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad