Jason Akeson

RoyBoyCoy

Habs and Rugby
Feb 17, 2008
Lennoxville, QC
... is tearing the OHL to pieces. He was invited to camp by the Ducks, but did they sign him?

If not, is he re-entering the draft Azevedo style? Can he? Will someone sign him? Does he have what it takes to play in the NHL one day?

He's obviously putting up a lot of points and his stats look more like a playmaker. What can you tell me about his style of play? Strengths? Weaknesses?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
He's too old now to be drafted now.

And it's not uncommon that overagers rack points up like nothing either. But I've seen a few Rangers games this year and he may have pro(NHL) potential. But it's most likely he'll get signed to AHL contract first.

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
The thing about Akeson for me is that we never really got to see him perform as a 16or 17 year old. And ever since, when his numbers are brought up, they're mitigated by the mention of his age. Is there a chance that he's just another smallish, older OHL player running up big stats? Of course, but because his first season was on that loaded OHL Championship Kitchener team, we have no idea what his pre-draft numbers could have looked like.

Now, that having been said, the scouts have had two full seasons to see him in an offensive role since then. So, there's perhaps a good reason why he's been overlooked.

alienanton*

so can he be drafted in 2011 or not?

june birthday, so can't he go through 3 draft years? 09, 10, 11?

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
anaheim will sign him to AHL contract

see how he does in camp

he's pro hockey rdy right now tho

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
I'm bumping this... because I also want to know a little more about him. Why is he not draft eligible for 2011? Ever player has 3 draft eligible years no? Why would he not be allowed his third?

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I'm bumping this... because I also want to know a little more about him. Why is he not draft eligible for 2011? Ever player has 3 draft eligible years no? Why would he not be allowed his third?

What are you talking about?

He was first eligible in '08. Wasn't picked. Then '09. Wasn't picked. Then '10. Wasn't picked. That's 3.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
First, he can indeed be signed by anyone now and likely some team will give him an AHL shot next year.

Now, on his scouting reports, as a season ticket holder I can give you the run-down:

The Good:
- exceptional stick-handler
- great vision and adept passer
- doesn't panic at all, even in tight spaces with guys right on him
- under-rated speed... doesn't look above average but can fly when he has a lane
- very shifty on one-on-ones... great at buying time
- accurate shot

The Bad:
- a bit smallish and can get muscled off the puck by pro-ready guys
- not a pure sniper, more a pass-first (not really a negative, but a limitation)
- gets hit hard from time to time
- a bit of a tendency to embellish
- stays a bit on the periphery as he lacks any power presence

The Verdict:
- Good skill guy, but not amongst the elite I've seen in junior over the years and not a solid enough physical package to grind it out in the scoring areas with bigger guys. Thus, I don't think he's a legit NHL prospect but he's the type who would have a solid career in Europe potentially.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
What are you talking about?

He was first eligible in '08. Wasn't picked. Then '09. Wasn't picked. Then '10. Wasn't picked. That's 3.

How was he eligible for '08? He's a 1990.. that was the '09 draftees. Is it because of his birthdate? I don't know when the cut off is...

ocarina

May 23, 2009
How was he eligible for '08? He's a 1990.. that was the '09 draftees. Is it because of his birthdate? I don't know when the cut off is...

He's a June '90 birth, so he would of been first eligible in 2008 (players are eligible when they turn 18). The cutoff date is September 15th (meaning that a player can technically be 17 when drafted as long as he was born before that date).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->