Jaskin 1 yr $1.1million

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
What kind of a fourth line does Yeo plan to put on the ice?

In the past, our fourth line was supposed to dump the puck into the offensive zone and then forecheck like crazy, keeping opposition bottled up.

Jaskin isn't well suited for that role. He doesn't skate well enough.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
5 down, 3 to go. Jaskin is the most expensive RFA so far. That ought to give Jaskin haters a reason to *****, going over a million on him.

Isles traded for 2.5m Martin and signed Komarov to 3m X 4 years. Jaskin and his contract, plus all the other 4th line signees at about 1m look like a bargain.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
What kind of a fourth line does Yeo plan to put on the ice?

In the past, our fourth line was supposed to dump the puck into the offensive zone and then forecheck like crazy, keeping opposition bottled up.

Jaskin isn't well suited for that role. He doesn't skate well enough.
Really, then why does his line ALWAYS have the puck?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Perfect deal. He’s going to play down in the lineup this year and won’t be asked to do too much, allowing him to focus on what he does best. There isn’t a better defensive forward on this team, and his board work and cycle game are exceptional. For $1mil, if he scores 15-20 points plus the rest of his contributions, it is a perfect deal.
My only comment here is that possession and defense are not the same thing. Jaskin might be one of our best possession players, but he wouldn't be on the list if we were making a pure shutdown defensive line. He's solid or good defensively, but he's not our best defensive forward on the team, even prior to acquiring ROR. He's just really good at keeping possession in the offensive zone. That makes for a perfect 4th liner. When you have a 4th line that can keep possession and wear down the opponent, you will indirectly create a lot of chances for the top 9 when they come on with fresh legs to take over the cycle on the change.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
I really liked him when he was on the fourth line last season. With the depth this team has now and the "energy line" now entirely gone, I hope Jaskin can cement himself a place on the fourth and stop being a fill in guy when somebody gets hurt on the top nine.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Posted this on the main trade forum

Jaskin is one of the weirdest players I have ever seen, he is not as bad as his regular numbers (Goals, Assists) look but he is also at the same time not as good as his advanced stat numbers are lol I cannot figure him out, solid 4th liner who can move up in a pinch for a couple games.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Posted this on the main trade forum

Jaskin is one of the weirdest players I have ever seen, he is not as bad as his regular numbers (Goals, Assists) look but he is also at the same time not as good as his advanced stat numbers are lol I cannot figure him out, solid 4th liner who can move up in a pinch for a couple games.
Jaskin is just the perfect example of how advanced stats go misused. Those advanced stats are simply possession stats, and Jaskin is a great possession player because of his cycle skills and board work. He's not bad defensively, but his lack of speed will prevent him from being on a shutdown line. He lacks NHL level vision and passing to be a playmaker, and he doesn't have a great shot. If he ever finds a way to just drive the net like a bull, then he might increase his production to be a 3rd liner, but that's really his only shot.

He's a decent top 9 fill-in because he does allow for more possession time, but he has to be with players that can do everything on the puck. Even when he is with those players, his goal/assist numbers still aren't much. Simply he doesn't do much to directly score, but he does help in increasing the possession time in the offensive zone.

He's a good 4th liner, he just should never start in a healthy top 9. It wouldn't surprise me if he eventually becomes a Maroon-type at some point, he just needs to find a way to use his size effectively to score in the NHL.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm 100% happy with this deal. I think Jaskin is the best 4th liner in the organization and is fairly paid at $1.1 mil. If young guys pass him up, that's fine. $1.1 mil in the press box is not a bad thing at all and he can adequately slide up the lineup a bit when the injury bug bites. His cycle work is the best on the team, he';s more physical than most our forwards and he is decent defensively. I agree that his monster possession numbers are more a result of his cycle than his defense, but his defense is at least slightly above average in the NHL.

We're still in good shape with the cap. Assuming Maroon signs at $1.7 mil, Capfriendly puts us at $3.335 in space. However, that's with a full 23 man roster, so we would also need to send a contract down once extending Ed (and similarly with Schmaltz). I think Thorburn's the first man through waivers, but for the sake of a conservative argument, let's assume it is Nolan since his contract is the lowest on the team. That would effectively give us $4 mil in space to extend Ed without moving anyone. If Ed comes in at $3.75 mil, then you can sign Schmaltz to his QO (or a longer/one way deal at the same AAV) without making a trade.

I still think Gunnar/J-Bo will be moved fairly early in the year to free up space and a roster spot for Schmaltz, but we should be able to do a 4-5 year deal for Ed without needing a team to take one of them in the summer. It might require some cap massaging and tons of paper transactions on off days with our waiver exempt players, but we should be able to make it work.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
$1.1m is fair for a player that contributes positively towards possession despite getting buried in the D-zone.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
They should have let him and Sundquist both walk

Why? How would letting them walk make the team better? Or conversely, do you know what a buried contract is? Sundqvist is completely buriable. All but $75K of Jaskin is buriable. $1,025,000 of any contract buried in the AHL does not count against the cap. Anyone signed for that or less is irrelevant to the cap if they don't make the team.

By signing Sundqvist, there are 3 things that can happen. a) He makes the team, in which case he earned a spot as the best depth we can have. b) He is waived and claimed, which means we are no worse off than if we didn't sign him. Or c) he is waived and passes through waivers. In which case, he does not affect our cap, and we have a good AHL player to fill San Antonio's seats and help improve our prospects. At the very least both guys are good AHL players and borderline NHLers with some untapped upside. Nolan was the best depth forward we could get cheap enough to bury. I'll take either guy over him.

So again, what's the downside? Don't tell me that they suck. Assume the fact they suck as NHL players as a given. They are proven AHL players. So what is the downside of signing them when we don't have the cap to sign anyone better and dumping them has no effect on our cap?

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
I really liked him when he was on the fourth line last season. With the depth this team has now and the "energy line" now entirely gone, I hope Jaskin can cement himself a place on the fourth and stop being a fill in guy when somebody gets hurt on the top nine.
despite producing almost no offense or points himself the last 3 seasons, hes still managed to consistently have a positive plus minus so he definitely doesnt hurt you.

4th line is fine for him. responsible defensively and will keep posession.

he wont help you score when you are behind in games but if you are ahead and need to kill time he does a nice job.

Reactions: Stealth JD

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Jaskin is just the perfect example of how advanced stats go misused. Those advanced stats are simply possession stats, and Jaskin is a great possession player because of his cycle skills and board work. He's not bad defensively, but his lack of speed will prevent him from being on a shutdown line. He lacks NHL level vision and passing to be a playmaker, and he doesn't have a great shot. If he ever finds a way to just drive the net like a bull, then he might increase his production to be a 3rd liner, but that's really his only shot.

He's a decent top 9 fill-in because he does allow for more possession time, but he has to be with players that can do everything on the puck. Even when he is with those players, his goal/assist numbers still aren't much. Simply he doesn't do much to directly score, but he does help in increasing the possession time in the offensive zone.

He's a good 4th liner, he just should never start in a healthy top 9. It wouldn't surprise me if he eventually becomes a Maroon-type at some point, he just needs to find a way to use his size effectively to score in the NHL.

I agree with this comment. Jaskin keeps possession by circling around with the puck, keeping his body between the puck and the defensive player. This protects the puck pretty well, Berglund used to do this a lot too. But its more productive to evade the defender and take the puck to the net, if you have the skill to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad