Player Discussion Jaroslav Halák

False Start

May 8, 2018
Jobs his hes officially #1 after tonight there is no debate anymore.

I hope we don't work him too hard and keep him fresh for the postseason. Plenty of starts rest of the way for Rask. Don't care what either guy makes. Hope he can take home the Vezina he has to be in the lead right now.

Nothing wrong with a Grubauer/Holtby situation in Boston.

That ended up working well for the Caps no?

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Legit Question. Imagine you din't had Rask.

Would you guys take Carey Price for Halak 1v1? Regardless of salary.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island

Regardless of salary? Price easily. Had a huge argument with a guy on the main boards over Halak vs Fleury last year and I take Halak over someone like him though. However Halak has shown in the past he can go on tears of otherwordly goaltending. Seems to be re-energized playing in front of a team with at least some defensive structure.

The way he bounced back after that bad start and competed makes him an easy guy to root for.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

that price contract is tough... very tough. I would still rate him among the top 3 goalies in the nhl but there are cracks in the armour

if you remember jose theodore… he fell off the face of the earth overnight. we had a guy here jim carrey same thing.

there is a history out there where the best goalie in the world can develop some issue and be gone in just a couple years.

due to the reality of the cap... I couldn't take price onto my team under any circumstances at the moment. if you are a fan of his I hope for your sake im wrong and price bounces back and makes me sorry for my thoughts. but honestly even if he was waived right now, I couldn't take him onto my team.

as for halak… if he was still signed to a 5 mil per year contract I couldn't gamble on him either. he was being shopped desperately by the islanders under his old contract and no one was biting. contract definitely matters.

I was a big supporter of the halak signing... I expected some good times with him. hes exceeded my expectations so far so imagine how delighted I am. but if he was costing us too much money I wouldn't be happy with him either.

and im not too happy with rask at the moment. I strongly supported him his entire career... but on the day he signed I wondered what he did to deserve more than quick money. after a few years on the new contract I continue to wonder why we are paying him 7 mill. I think rask is a contender for one of the top 5 goalies in the nhl himself so its not that I question his ability. its just contract cap hits matter.

I think the key to good goaltending is find talented backups on other teams and do what it takes to trade for them when they are ready to excel. keep them until they get their huge contract and then trade them for the next guy.

Reactions: Strafer

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
that price contract is tough... very tough. I would still rate him among the top 3 goalies in the nhl but there are cracks in the armour

if you remember jose theodore… he fell off the face of the earth overnight. we had a guy here jim carrey same thing.

there is a history out there where the best goalie in the world can develop some issue and be gone in just a couple years.

due to the reality of the cap... I couldn't take price onto my team under any circumstances at the moment. if you are a fan of his I hope for your sake im wrong and price bounces back and makes me sorry for my thoughts. but honestly even if he was waived right now, I couldn't take him onto my team.

as for halak… if he was still signed to a 5 mil per year contract I couldn't gamble on him either. he was being shopped desperately by the islanders under his old contract and no one was biting. contract definitely matters.

I was a big supporter of the halak signing... I expected some good times with him. hes exceeded my expectations so far so imagine how delighted I am. but if he was costing us too much money I wouldn't be happy with him either.

and im not too happy with rask at the moment. I strongly supported him his entire career... but on the day he signed I wondered what he did to deserve more than quick money. after a few years on the new contract I continue to wonder why we are paying him 7 mill. I think rask is a contender for one of the top 5 goalies in the nhl himself so its not that I question his ability. its just contract cap hits matter.

I think the key to good goaltending is find talented backups on other teams and do what it takes to trade for them when they are ready to excel. keep them until they get their huge contract and then trade them for the next guy.

I appreciate and respect alot more Halak than Price.

I think Price was massively overated.
On the other hand Halak is massively underated.

If I had the choice I would take Halak over Price any day, just because he has that extra clutch gear that Price doesn’t have.

With a good structured team like yours and a goalie like Halak there’s a chance you guys might be in another stanley cup final this year.

0.974+ sv% back to back, thats some monstruous perfomances.

I definitly am rooting for Halak and hopefully we will get to see him be a wall once again in the playoffs.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

If I had the choice I would take Halak over Price any day, just because he has that extra clutch gear that Price doesn’t have.

With a good structured team like yours and a goalie like Halak there’s a chance you guys might be in another stanley cup final this year.

I definitly am rooting for Halak and hopefully we will get to see him be a wall once again in the playoffs.

Extra Clutch Gear? :shakehead

You know this how? Because of some run (if you can call getting to the 3rd round 5 game defeat a "run") almost a decade ago?

How has Halak's "Extra Clutch Gear" been working out for him the decade since? You know considering he hasn't won a series in that timeframe. Doesn't seem like his teams make the playoffs all that often or when they do, he's on the bench, considering he's appeared in just TWO playoff series since 2010.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Extra Clutch Gear? :shakehead

You know this how? Because of some run (if you can call getting to the 3rd round 5 game defeat a "run") almost a decade ago?

How has Halak's "Extra Clutch Gear" been working out for him the decade since? You know considering he hasn't won a series in that timeframe. Doesn't seem like his teams make the playoffs all that often or when they do, he's on the bench, considering he's appeared in just TWO playoff series since 2010.

I mean you are seing it right now.

Many reasons as to why he hasn’t won a playoff round since 2010. I think it has to with not being trusted or loved enough by his own team. But i rly cant be the judge of that as i dont have mire info about it.

Just look at him now, hes 5.10, drafted 271st overall and is killing it in the league in a time where almost every other goalie is doing terribly bad. Hows that not clutch?

Reactions: HOLDEN44FAN

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

was price rated as a vezina/hart guy? and halak as a 1A who shared the net with another starter? Price as a guy that teams would give a long term 10 million dollar contract too and halak as a guy that would be traded every 3 years when his team felt he couldn't be counted on for a second contract because he hadn't been good enough on his first contract to warrant it?

I think if that's the case... they get rated around where their performance says they should

halak is a very nice 1A goalie who if he doesn't get exposed has enough talent to put up some very nice results. hes on one of the best runs of his entire career this month. its possible it could last a few more months. hes very talented. but to expect him to be as good next year is just going to leave you very disappointed

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Player Poll:
upload_2018-11-13_11-43-11.png

Reactions: Boston Bandit

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
was price rated as a vezina/hart guy? and halak as a 1A who shared the net with another starter? Price as a guy that teams would give a long term 10 million dollar contract too and halak as a guy that would be traded every 3 years when his team felt he couldn't be counted on for a second contract because he hadn't been good enough on his first contract to warrant it?

I think if that's the case... they get rated around where their performance says they should

halak is a very nice 1A goalie who if he doesn't get exposed has enough talent to put up some very nice results. hes on one of the best runs of his entire career this month. its possible it could last a few more months. hes very talented. but to expect him to be as good next year is just going to leave you very disappointed

Price has a very good agent.
And he was drafted 5th overall.

Thats probably the only reasons why he still has a job today. He had 1 great year which happend after 7 years of average perfomances.

On the other hand Halak took a mediocre habs team to the ecfs, he defeated ovechkin and Crosby back to back and was an absolute stud in game 6 and 7 va the caps.

Halak is posting Tim Thomas numbers right now, he’s a veteran, he’s very strong mentally and there’s no reason as to why he cant keep this up.
Hes the type that puts a ton of pressure on him self and he definitly wants to win.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Price has a very good agent.
And he was drafted 5th overall.

Thats probably the only reasons why he still has a job today. He had 1 great year which happend after 7 years of average perfomances.

On the other hand Halak took a mediocre habs team to the ecfs, he defeated ovechkin and Crosby back to back and was an absolute stud in game 6 and 7 va the caps.

Halak is posting Tim Thomas numbers right now, he’s a veteran, he’s very strong mentally and there’s no reason as to why he cant keep this up.
Hes the type that puts a ton of pressure on him self and he definitly wants to win.

brian boucher pitched 4 shutouts in a row... imagine how damn good his numbers were :)

halak is 33 years old with over 400 games of experience.
4 teams had him before we did... none were comfortable with him as their starter

he has a total of 12 playoff games in his career if you take away his 1 season in montreal you brought up
that was 9 years ago

no one who is a contender have looked at this guy as their solution. st louis was a contender and they asked brian Elliot and jake allen to replace him. I mean not exactly elite competion and he couldn't wrestle the starting job from them.

islanders turned to him... he did ok... they immediately got into a 3 goalie controversy. it wasn't A list guys they were trying to replace halak with.

sure he gets decent results... he has a career .916%
rask had his 3 worst seasons of his career averaging .916% and we want to run him out of town

please don't force me to tear halak apart... hes a great backup... maybe the best backup in the nhl
but if you try to rate him as a starter and put him above 25... that's very very very controversial

if you try to rate him ahead of 20 youd be laughed at

as a backup... hes outstanding and when hes on a hot streak hes freaking fantastic
hes had many many many many hot streaks before. its no shock to me hes having another

this isn't some 20 year old kid with no history we are talking about... hes 33 freaking years old
and we know him

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
brian boucher pitched 4 shutouts in a row... imagine how damn good his numbers were :)

4 teams had him before we did... none were comfortable with him as their starter

he has a total of 12 playoff games in his career if you take away his 1 season in montreal you brought up
that was 9 years ago

no one who is a contender have looked at this guy as their solution. st louis was a contender and they asked brian Elliot and jake allen to replace him. I mean not exactly elite competion and he couldn't wrestle the starting job from them.

islanders turned to him... he did ok... they immediately got into a 3 goalie controversy. it wasn't A list guys they were trying to replace halak with.

rask had his 3 worst seasons of his career averaging .916% and we want to run him out of town

please don't force me to tear halak apart... hes a great backup... maybe the best backup in the nhl
but if you try to rate him as a starter and put him above 25... that's very very very controversial

as a backup... hes outstanding and when hes on a hot streak hes freaking fantastic
hes had many many many many hot streaks before. its no shock to me hes having another

this isn't some 20 year old kid with no history we are talking about... hes 33 freaking years old
and we know him

I like Rask as a goalie, this is not a knock on Rask.

.974 back to back at 5.10 in a time where everyone else gets scored 5 goals a night or more you have to admit it its pretty impressive.

I think you’re underestimating the importance of a good agent. Halak’s agent probably caused him more problems than anything. He was drafted 271st after all, Bob Gainey mentioned In an interview right after deafting Price that they were also very interested in Halak.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

.974 back to back at 5.10 in a time where everyone else gets scored 5 goals a night or more you have to admit it its pretty impressive.

I think you’re underestimating the importance of a good agent. Halak’s agent probably caused him more problems than anything. He was drafted 271st after all, Bob Gainey mentioned In an interview right after deafting Price that they were also very interested in Halak.

on a related note... adam oates agent has to be worst one in histry

check out his career earnings compared to any of his top 10-15 contemporaries

either it was bad luck always signing his deal 1 year before the market adjusted itself the very next year... or one crazy incompetent agent

I mean oates was the top playmaker in the game... once gretzky lost his ability to score... compare these guys side by side and try to figure out who was the better player. but check their paychecks

even guys like pierre turgeron and dale hawerchuk were getting a lot more money. id put oates as a top 5 guy during his prime years and he was pretty much never paid that way

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

I will also mention... being paid less doesn't hurt a guy with the coach. most coaches probably have a very limited idea how much money the player makes. quite simply, it doesn't help the coach do the coaching

if you say halak got screwed on his paychecks because of a bad agent... hell sure.. why not... I don't need to argue that. I don't really care... it doesn't make him a better or a worst goalie

maybe if I was his kid looking for a handout I might care how bad his agent was... but as a bruin fan that is trying to anticipate how good halak will be in games this month... I couldn't care less how bad a deal his agent got for him 6 years ago

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Sounds like a some in here are just waiting for Jaro to fall off. It is not even "the glass is half full" optimism but "the glass also has finger prints on it". I am pulling for him the same way I had a feeling about Timmy and and everyone's fav, you know he is not allowed to score more then last year poster boy, Nordstrom.

Take off the training wheels and let these men grab what they see as probably the last big chance of their careers. I am sure they are not thinking, jeez I cannot wait to settle down to my old patterns and fail so everyone's expectations of me are right. Lets be happy that Sweeney got guys that are working out.

Stop dreaming for the elusive 6'4" power fighting forward that scores 50 goals, or the back up that is glad to be 2nd fiddle to Rask. Halak is playing lights out and not draining himself, maybe we are not allowed good things if we keep complaining - "yeah but" and "this other guy said" and "in the past", blah blah blah - blow it out your you know what. Enjoy it, things are good.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Price?

Bruins are headed to a cup with Price in net

Unless he’s got some lingering injury issues I am ignorant to which sounds likely, both that I am ignorant and that Price might have an injury issue

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
A big part of Price's great stats have to do with a solid D corps combined with defense minded coaching. Last year the defense not as solid and this year more offense minded style has exposed his weaknesses. I think his injuries have factored in as well.

I wouldn't take Price for free regardless of the goalie situation. This from a former Price fan. I don't think Price will revert to who he was in the past.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Price?

Bruins are headed to a cup with Price in net

Unless he’s got some lingering injury issues I am ignorant to which sounds likely, both that I am ignorant and that Price might have an injury issue
He also has a cap hit of 10.5 versus Halaks 2.75

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

When the Habs kept Price over Halak i was a little surprised. I've always considered Halak to be a stone cold wall of a goaltender. His speed, positioning, and his rebound control are superb. If the Habs kept him they would've had THE premier goaltending tandem of the league IMO for the past 10 years. They maybe even would've taken out the B's in '11 since Halak (again just my opinion) gave the Bruins more trouble than Price over the course of their careers.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

that was 9 years ago

and we know him
No disrespect but in another thread you mentioned that Rask may just need to be moved because he's been here so long. "Maybe he needs a change of scenery." If that's so, and since you appreciate Rask's fine body of work who would you propose being the #1 net-minder here in Boston if they were to trade Rask?
I feel that Rask will bounce back since the body follows the head and he seems to be sounding as though he feels much better and is appreciative of the Bruins all around sensitivity to his situation. Appreciation and loyalty go a long way in this world.

Reactions: FanSince72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad