Player Discussion Jaroslav Halák

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I once coached a team with two capable netminders and wondered how I was going to give them enough playing time. It was almost as if splitting it down the middle was unfair to both.

I thought back to Don Cherry and how he used the three goalie rotation back in the day for the Bruins and how abnormal that was.

So I created an internal competition that brought out the best in both guys. I simply told them that I don't care at what point in the game we are, you play until you allow a goal.

Worked out great. Won 38 of 48 games, 9 shutouts (almost as many shutouts as losses) and had the fewest goals against my a country mile.

Would never happen in the NHL. But sometimes... outside the box thinking …..
Beleive we can confirm that there was a good chemistry between the goal keepers.... and possibly in the team. Good work coach. ;)

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
hate to point out some negatives... but since nov 4... last 2 months... not counting tonights 4 goals agginst on 37 shots

halaks numbers are pretty ordinary
in 14 games an 8-5 record
.915 save
2.74 gass

this is why when he was so white hot earlier in the year some of us said he cant be given the number 1 starter role. this guy has been hot and cold his entire career. these numbers were what many of us predicted.

not to say hes a bad goalie. this is still not bad numbers for a bottom teir starting goalie. hes a backup we can play 30-35 games and expect to be above 500.

I like what hes done this year... but most the numbers were done in October and we might not see that again the rest of the year

lets hope he has some magic for us at playoffs

Reactions: LSCII

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Had a **** game this evening and kept Calgary in it to the end all by himself. Rask plays half as poorly as that and there are a hundred Rask sucks posts...

It's almost like a guy who has a history of getting hot, got hot, and people started acting like idiots. Now the team has Rask to help take some of the work instead of Vladar/McIntyre.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
True but his play declined a lot in December and it continued with his first January start

It’s not a good trend he is currently on
Hasn’t been good his last two but didn’t he peel off 3 straight wins prior to that ? Bruins have a tough stretch upcoming. They need both Halak and Rask playing well .

Reactions: Chief Nine

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Hasn’t been good his last two but didn’t he peel off 3 straight wins prior to that ? Bruins have a tough stretch upcoming. They need both Halak and Rask playing well .

Last 10 games Goals Against

More bad starts than good lately

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
True but his play declined a lot in December and it continued with his first January start

It’s not a good trend he is currently on
Agree but still, if he had got a shutout tonight and a save % of 1000 it would be as misleading as counting this one game for Jan.

I would like to see Rask go for 4-5 games and then bring Halak back in, at this stage Halak is better as a backup instead of playing the amount of games he has been playing.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Agree but still, if he had got a shutout tonight and a save % of 1000 it would be as misleading as counting this one game for Jan.

I would like to see Rask go for 4-5 games and then bring Halak back in, at this stage Halak is better as a backup instead of playing the amount of games he has been playing.
I would play Rask in the next two and then see what Halak can do against Washington on Thursday night .

Reactions: missingchicklet

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
since Christmas

4 games 15 goals against on 93 shots... save% under .850

I still am a supporter of his signing... have been since moment 1 it was announced... but please please please people... the next time you are screaming for someone to become our starter please use some common sense

buys like khubodin and halak are in their 30s with a well established history. a handful of games on a hot streak will never last

lets just hope the guy is hot when playoff time comes

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Well the 50-50 split is benefiting Rask. Not sure I change anything 'yet' as Rask doesn't like a heavy workload.

Hopefully that week off helps Jaro find his game.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
since Christmas

4 games 15 goals against on 93 shots... save% under .850

I still am a supporter of his signing... have been since moment 1 it was announced... but please please please people... the next time you are screaming for someone to become our starter please use some common sense

buys like khubodin and halak are in their 30s with a well established history. a handful of games on a hot streak will never last

lets just hope the guy is hot when playoff time comes

The shine has worn off in big way. I too was all on board since the get go but this guy has been putrid lately.

Reactions: bbfan419

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
The weird thing is Halak will make some crazy stops on shots you think he has no chance on, then let in 3 consecutive soft wristers from just inside the blue line.

it's maddening really.

Reactions: Alicat and Pia8988

Broussej

Sep 20, 2014
Halak was a starter or a split goalie for many years. A carreer backup will be fine to play only once every week or every two weeks but a guy like Jaro need to play a little more to stay sharp.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Halak was a starter or a split goalie for many years. A carreer backup will be fine to play only once every week or every two weeks but a guy like Jaro need to play a little more to stay sharp.
How can they play him more when Rask is playing better right now ? All he deserves to play at the moment is when the Bruins are playing back to backs unless Rask’s game falls apart .

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->