Jarome Iginla's turn to appologize

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
"We're sorry," said Iginla.

"I think everybody involved with this is sorry it took a year. All the people who this took jobs from, or had bars or restaurants ... it goes right down the line how it affected people in different cities. There's no question we're sorry. Hopefully we work together as a group and down the road learn from it and be better next time."

Jarome had these words to say to the fans on Calgary's Fan960 last night while being interviewed. To me it really shows a difference in class between Jarome and the like of a JR or Sean Avery. At least one of the true elite superstars in the game has come forward to appologize, and likely more to follow.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
ryz said:

"I think everybody involved with this is sorry it took a year. All the people who this took jobs from, or had bars or restaurants ... it goes right down the line how it affected people in different cities. There's no question we're sorry. Hopefully we work together as a group and down the road learn from it and be better next time."

Jarome had these words to say to the fans on Calgary's Fan960 last night while being interviewed. To me it really shows a difference in class between Jarome and the like of a JR or Sean Avery. At least one of the true elite superstars in the game has come forward to appologize, and likely more to follow.
It's nice to see a player accept his role in this mess and apologize to the people who lost income and the fans who lost their sport for over a year . . . . and to do so without blaming Goodenow or Bettman (who should apologize as well).

SENSible1*

Iginla should be the face of hockey coming out of the lockout.

Class act all the way.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
the interview was done at the annual Jerome Iginla Juvenile Diabetes Golf Tourney. I was there and talked to Jerome a few times. He is a very very decent guy. The only issue I have with him is that he should have been an oiler :(

BTW, I picked up a signed and framed Mike Civik Jersey. The lockout has been real tough on the refs and linesmen as none went to europe and stole jobs. Mike was as nice a guy as you will ever meet which is a good thing considering his size ( 6'7" I think)

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Thunderstruck said:
Iginla should be the face of hockey coming out of the lockout.

Class act all the way.
I think he pretty much will be. Especially if he has another good year. Maybe another Maurice Richard trophy will do it?

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
HockeyCritter said:
It's nice to see a player accept his role in this mess and apologize to the people who lost income and the fans who lost their sport for over a year . . . . and to do so without blaming Goodenow or Bettman (who should apologize as well).

Bettman did apologize even though of everyone involved he was the one who least deserved to.

Goodenow had a chance to apologize and preferred to publically blame everyone else instead.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Crazy_Ike said:
Bettman did apologize even though of everyone involved he was the one who least deserved to.

Goodenow had a chance to apologize and preferred to publically blame everyone else instead.
I know Bettman did, he needs to do so again ---- apologize for it taking so long and then make a statement saying the League needs to move forward.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
HockeyCritter said:
I know Bettman did, he needs to do so again ---- apologize for it taking so long and then make a statement saying the League needs to move forward.

Look at the deal that's being negotiated. It wasn't Bettman that took so long, it was the NHLPA. Bettman would have happily signed this deal a year ago.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
arnie said:
Look at the deal that's being negotiated. It wasn't Bettman that took so long, it was the NHLPA. Bettman would have happily signed this deal a year ago.

In all fairness...let's be frank, it wasn't just the PA that held this thing up. Don't get me wrong, I'm neither an PA or an Owner supporter, I'm a hockey supporter. But Bettman didn't exactly welcome negotiations with open arms.

I believe he said that the starting point would be a Salary Cap or that they would be talking for a while...that's not the way to start negotiations. Plus both sides were stubborn in the beginning.

If you ask me, I'd like to see some owners apologizing. They paid the high salaries too. They just as much as fault in this than the players.

A Good Flying Bird*

ryz said:

Does anyone else feel warm and fuzzy when millionaire athletes apologize to us?

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
ryz said:
Come on, Roenick? The guy that has said "we get paid too much" on PTI, and has said--repeatedly--that time is of the essence and they needed to get a deal done since the beginning? You're gonna put him in the same boat as Avery?

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ryz said:

What's wrong with JR, Avery, Esche or Legace apologizing? I think that's great! It shows a little humility on their part....

The one's I'd really like to hear publically comment are the Vinny Damphouses, etc. who spent so much time throwing stones from behind Bob's back and telling the guys who came out early on in this thing saying maybe we're going down the wrong path (I can't think of their names ... Madden, a Panther, a Canadien, you know???) that they're Pejorative Slured and better retract their statements pronto!!! I bet when those little guys were initially chirping ... even JR Chelios & Modano to an extent, if the PA took a vote to see whether to move forward and negotiate a cap, they'd have found well over 500 yes votes. Then Goodenow would have likely been able to save face and say I'm doing what the players want instead of throwing out surprises such as a rollback in December a cap in Feb and a linkage in June ... the guy just had no plan and some of the committee should have been able to see that early on!!!!

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
ryz said:
I think he pretty much will be. Especially if he has another good year. Maybe another Maurice Richard trophy will do it?
I think a Conn Smythe and the tandem of Hart and Ross trophies should get him there.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
HockeyCritter said:

It was funny listening to him praise the negotiating committee of Linden,Guerin and Bougner for their "hard work" but didn't mention Goodenow at all. :handclap:

He also said he agree's with some of Avery's comments (didn't elaborate)

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
futurcorerock said:
I think a Conn Smythe and the tandem of Hart and Ross trophies should get him there.
Well, he has 1 of the 3 and has been within an inch of the other 2. But still, fair enough, I understand the point you are trying to make but if that is part of the criteria then who would you choose as the "face" of the league upon re-launch? Also remember that Iginla is a marketers dream. Regardless of trophies he is the obvious choice to me.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
ryz said:

Iginla really seems to be a class guy. I read in a story oonce where during the Salt lake City Olympics or one of the others he Put some guys up in a hotel that were sleeping in their car and he had only just met them.

Now all we need are the NHL marketing morons to actually market some of these great players and Great guys that seems to be an easy concept that these Jackoffs just dont get.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
c-carp said:
Iginla really seems to be a class guy. I read in a story oonce where during the Salt lake City Olympics or one of the others he Put some guys up in a hotel that were sleeping in their car and he had only just met them.
As the story goes some Flames fans from Calgary had driven down to Salt Lake to see some games at the Olympics. They had no $$$ left for a hotel when they got there and were sleeping in their car, not to mention they couldn't even get tickets. Iginla filled their gas tank, put the up in a hotel and gave them all tickets to the game the next night. That's the story I had heard around the time it was supposed to have happened.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
ryz said:
As the story goes some Flames fans from Calgary had driven down to Salt Lake to see some games at the Olympics. They had no $$$ left for a hotel when they got there and were sleeping in their car, not to mention they couldn't even get tickets. Iginla filled their gas tank, put the up in a hotel and gave them all tickets to the game the next night. That's the story I had heard around the time it was supposed to have happened.
It was one of the Kids Father who leaked that info to the Calgary Sun at the time,i don't think he filled their gas tank but he did put them in a room and gave them tickets to 2 games.this all happened in a restaurant where Iginla was having dinner. It wasn't that the kids were totally broke it was more of a case that they underestimated the cost of rooms and how hard it was to get tickets during the Olympics.

Either which way it shows what kind of person Iginla really is. And it's very rare these days!

A Good Flying Bird*

T@T said:
It was one of the Kids Father who leaked that info to the Calgary Sun at the time,i don't think he filled their gas tank but he did put them in a room and gave them tickets to 2 games.this all happened in a restaurant where Iginla was having dinner. It wasn't that the kids were totally broke it was more of a case that they underestimated the cost of rooms and how hard it was to get tickets during the Olympics.

Either which way it shows what kind of person Iginla really is. And it's very rare these days!

Pffft.
Iginla is an overpaid, greedy, arrogant, SOB.
He should try working at a factory for $14 an hour.

mackdogs*

Newsguyone said:
Pffft.
Iginla is an overpaid, greedy, arrogant, SOB.
He should try working at a factory for $14 an hour.
He's one of the few players I actually think should earn 5 mil/year to play a game. He's a great guy on and off the ice. I partied with him a few times back in his Red Deer days, great kid.

Not sure what you have against him but you're coming off looking like an idiot. I hope that was your intent.

labatt50

Feb 26, 2005
[/QUOTE]Now all we need are the NHL marketing morons to actually market some of these great players and Great guys that seems to be an easy concept that these Jackoffs just dont get.[/QUOTE]

You are right. Is is this type of player (and there are many more) that can bring the fans back, not a rookie that hasn't proven himself. The NHL is expecting Crosby to "save" the game, it shouldn't be Crosby. It should be Iginla, Sakic, Yzerman, Lemieux, etc. doing that, these are the players the fans misssed this season. While I hope Crosby is everything most people think he will be, that is a lot of pressure to put on him, not only to perform in the Big League, but to save it at the same time

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
ryz said:
Jarome had these words to say to the fans on Calgary's Fan960 last night while being interviewed. To me it really shows a difference in class between Jarome and the like of a JR or Sean Avery.

I'll tell you what the difference is.

Jarome Iginla was standing strong with his bloodsucking union trying to tear you and every fan out there a new one. Then when it appears he has lost, he talks down to people in the typical, "say the right things for the gullible" way, in the hope that the more simple-minded will swallow that load bull.

JR is a guy who says what's on his mind, and was very vocal from the start about certain issues that were wrong from the NHLPA standpoint. He doesn't sugarcoat it, calls it as he sees it. The other side of the coin is, he doesn't sugarcoat it either when it comes to saying what he thinks on other issues as well, and that may shock some fan.

I'd rather listen to JR over and over again instead of hypocritical fools like Iginla, who will no doubt be legions in the coming weeks. They're all going to come up with their mea culpas, and it's not worth **** to anyone who has seen raining before.

Good for him if that stunt can satisfy the gullible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad