Jarome Iginla Versus Patrice Bergeron

Which player would you rather start a franchise with?

• Total voters

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Bergeron's a great player, future HOFer and no team would be disappointed selecting his 1st overall in a draft. With that said I easily take Iginla.

Dabruins

Mar 15, 2003
Canada
Bergeron might be the most overrated player of all time according to some fans here. Its Iginla AINEC. He won 2 rockets, a Ross and a three time hart finalist. Iginla stats look worse off cuz he played 3 seasons to chase a cup with the Avs and lacked elite linemates. Bergeron if he plays 1500 games will see his career ppg drop drastically as well from now. Bergeron is not the best player on his line right now. He isnt an elite playoff performer.

I don't care if people are taking Iginla here but this post is just friggen ridiculous. People are literally just stat watchers. Go ask Pasta and Marchy who the best player on their line is? Go ask most Bruin fans who the most important forward we have is? People understand that more goes into winning hockey games than checking the box score or looking at season point totals. Now all I see is Bergy being written off in every conversation because Pasta and Marchand just carry him..... my god. Those two are unique players and obviously superstars, but they make several plays a game that will have you screaming at them for stupidity (also several that will have you jumping for joy).... I think in his 16 year career so far in which I personally have seen about 98% of his ice time I have yelled at Bergy for something stupid like 10 times and that might be being safe. The guy wins. If the Bruins falter Bergeron will be far down the list of reasons why unless it's injuries.

Reactions: PB37 and Trap Jesus

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
With all due respect to Bergeron and his fantastic all around game, Iginla is still better.

hanshin44

Mar 17, 2017
I think the line-mate argument is pretty silly personally. Marchand didn't have more then 61 points until 2016-17. Pasta didn't emerge until that same season. That's just a meme at this point.
Personally I'd build my team around Bergeron for sure, he's a good forward who is absolutely incredible at D. I wouldn't rank him as Yzerman level, but he's one of the best two way players in the post-lockout NHL. There are not many players at his level, and those who are, are valued highly. He has the highest face-off percentage among any active NHLer and an even higher percent in the playoffs. Arguing that he's not an "elite playoff performer" is ridiculous. The guy has 103 playoff points despite being a two-way player. I swear to god half the things that come out of people's mouths.
Iginla is unarguably one of the best wingers in recent memory, but I'm going to take the center who is going to enhance the players he's on a line with. Is Iginla the better scorer? Certainly. Is he the better player? I'd argue not so much. Bergeron is a generational two-way guy who I think only Toews has ever outplayed (you can argue that). Iginla was outshined at times by better wingers during his prime (including Kovalchuk, who played for the outright god-awful Thrashers).
I think both are easily HOFers, but if I'm looking for the rock for my franchise, I'm going with Bergeron. That's just my pick, and it might be wrong.

Reactions: PB37

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Iginla had the higher peak, but Bergeron has had more consistency. Both are great leaders and are revered by their teammates and local communities. If I had to pick, I would pick the center over the right winger to start a franchise with but I don't think there's a wrong answer here; both are all time greats of their era.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I've watched them put up the same number of goals and points on the same team and can tell you who was exponentially more impactful. Iginla is one of the most consistent offensive producers, but Bergeron is the most consistent elite defensive forward ever, and points per game he's at 0.80 compared to Iginla's 0.84. He's also now producing at a higher rate the last few years than Iginla was at the same age.

Yeah but Bergeron has no impact on winning. Bruins are barely a playoff team with him in the lineup this season - and among the best teams ever when he's out. Bruins also have a better record when he's out of the lineup than in the lineup for his career

Based on your post history i know how important you consider this to be. You voted for Iginla right??

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
There would surely be a situation where i'd pick Bergeron over Iginla. If my team needed a C, or a in particular time during their careers.

But to start a franchise i'd pick Iginla. 30-50 goals virtually every year, multiple high-end seasons, tough as anyone and just in general a unique player in todays game.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Yeah but Bergeron has no impact on winning. Bruins are barely a playoff team with him in the lineup this season - and among the best teams ever when he's out. Bruins also have a better record when he's out of the lineup than in the lineup for his career

Based on your post history i know how important you consider this to be. You voted for Iginla right??
Uhh what? They're 38-13-10 (.705) with him in the lineup. By barely make the playoffs do you mean way out in 1st in the league?

Reactions: Dabruins

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Uhh what? They're 38-13-10 (.705) with him in the lineup. By barely make the playoffs do you mean way out in 1st in the league?

They have a better record with him out of lineup, than in.

Literally only Bergeron fans can try to spin a better record without him in the lineup as a positive.

If you don't believe me - ask this guy here - he made the same case in another thread about Crosby.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
They have a better record with him out of lineup, than in.

Literally only Bergeron fans can try to spin a better record without him in the lineup as a positive.

If you don't believe me - ask this guy here - he made the same case in another thread about Crosby.
In 9 games vs. 61 in a season; if you read the Bruins board in his injury stretch you could tell how bad the team actually played as well. Marchand went pointless in 5 of those 9 games, compared to going pointless in 12 of the other 61. Them going to Marchand-Krejci-Pastrnak looked so bad that they abandoned that halfway through the Bergeron injury and split Marchand off from those two. They have a .705 points percentage with him in the lineup lol.

Reactions: wintersej

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
In 9 games vs. 61 in a season; if you read the Bruins board in his injury stretch you could tell how bad the team actually played as well. Marchand went pointless in 5 of those 9 games, compared to going pointless in 12 of the other 61. Them going to Marchand-Krejci-Pastrnak looked so bad that they abandoned that halfway through the Bergeron injury and split Marchand off from those two. They have a .705 points percentage with him in the lineup lol.

If you prefer career vs one season - Bergeron also looks bad.

Literally only a Bergeron fan can try to spin a better record without him in the lineup as a positive.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
If you prefer career vs one season - Bergeron also looks bad.

Literally only a Bergeron fan can try to spin a better record without him in the lineup as a positive.
Haha I love how you so subtly just slip in "since Crosby's rookie season" to the total, yet for some reason don't feel the need to do that with Boston's 2005 and 2006 seasons. 05/06-06/07 they were 60-76-22 with him, which is a 74 point pace. No need to break that off like you did with Crosby's I guess. If you include Crosby's rookie season it drops it down to 100 points as an 82 game average.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Haha I love how you so subtly just slip in "since Crosby's rookie season" to the total, yet for some reason don't feel the need to do that with Boston's 2005 and 2006 seasons. 05/06-06/07 they were 60-76-22 with him, which is a 74 point pace. No need to break that off like you did with Crosby's I guess. If you include Crosby's rookie season it drops it down to 100 points as an 82 game average.

You removed Crosby's rookie season in that thread before I did - I just responded in kind. If you remove Bergeron's rookie season - it hurts him, doesn't help him.

Bottom line - you made an absolutely ridiculous statement regarding Crosby in that thread. And if you truly believed that (which you don't - just pushing an agenda) - Bergeron looks even worst in that regards. His teams wins more with him out of the lineup, than in the lineup.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
You removed Crosby's rookie season in that thread before I did - I just responded in kind. If you remove Bergeron's rookie season - it hurts him, doesn't help him.

Bottom line - you made an absolutely ridiculous statement regarding Crosby in that thread. And if you truly believed that (which you don't - just pushing an agenda) - Bergeron looks even worst in that regards. His teams wins more with him out of the lineup, than in the lineup.
Because I knew what the rhetoric was going to be if I included it. You can't include the down years for one and not the other, that isn't a fair comparison.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Id usually take the center over the winger if things are close but Iginla in his day was a force. Tough as nails and highly skilled. Iginla would be my choice.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Iggy is the better player but if I'm building a franchise from scratch I take the C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad