Confirmed with Link: Jarome Iginla is Retiring

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
That was fantastic. Guys like Iggy in sport hardly ever come around. And we had him for 16 years. It feels weird knowing he'll never play in the NHL again

Vkonroy

Oct 29, 2014
Calgary
As amazing as he is as a Flame, that "Iggy, Iggy, Iggy!" golden goal is always the first that comes to mind when remembering specific moments of greatness. Such a clutch player and for a good couple of years the best in the world playing the game.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Man, it hit me reading all the quotes from this presser. Definitely going to watch when I get home from work.. Really sucks I won’t see Iginla donning a flaming C ever again. The epitome of class, one of the best to ever do it.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Also apparently it was between Iginla and Jagr last season.

I wish we would've signed Iggy but I'm not sure I would've liked seeing him go out in one of the worst seasons we've had to endure. Could he have moved the needle and gotten us to the playoffs with his leadership and helped us where GG didn't?

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Also apparently it was between Iginla and Jagr last season.

I wish we would've signed Iggy but I'm not sure I would've liked seeing him go out in one of the worst seasons we've had to endure. Could he have moved the needle and gotten us to the playoffs with his leadership and helped us where GG didn't?
We'll never know. All Burke said was he and Treliving were considering Iggy & Jagr, doesn't mean Iggy would have agreed to play here.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
We'll never know. All Burke said was he and Treliving were considering Iggy & Jagr, doesn't mean Iggy would have agreed to play here.

I was actually told this by someone who works for the team earlier this week and the fact that it was confirmed today sort of proves he was legit. He said that there was actually some bad blood between Iggy and Tre after they went with Jagr. Obviously it's all sorted now but he said Iginla would have 100% signed here given the opportunity.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I was actually told this by someone who works for the team earlier this week and the fact that it was confirmed today sort of proves he was legit. He said that there was actually some bad blood between Iggy and Tre after they went with Jagr. Obviously it's all sorted now but he said Iginla would have 100% signed here given the opportunity.
Yeah, with his limited options, I could see him agreeing to play here, but a couple years ago I know that wasn't what he (or most of the fans) would have wanted. What we'll never know is if the Iggy experiment would have been any more successful than the Jagr one. Sounds like that hip was really bothering him even while he was still playing.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Iginla provided 'hard-nosed' identity for Flames' playoff run in 2004

“Jarome was one of the most competitive guys I’d ever seen in my life. Anything that was going on, he wanted to win,” recalled longtime teammate Robyn Regehr, second to Iginla among the Flames’ career leaders in games played. “We used to play this ridiculous computer game called Age of Empires. We’d play it on the plane. Technology wasn’t what it is now, so we would have wires running everywhere, duct-taped to the ground so they wouldn’t trip anyone as they were walking around.

“Denis Gauthier was really, really good at this game. I wasn’t that great, Denis was awesome, and I would say that Jarome and Craig started as average. But they didn’t stay average for very long. I heard from sources — reliable sources — that Craig was hiding in his bathroom, reading these books about how to improve his Age of Empires strategy, and Jarome was always sending him stuff.”

Oh man, that just paints a hilarious picture

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Theory time: A few months back, Kipper had some telephone interviews with Ryan Leslie and he mentioned that he was planning a trip to Calgary soon. Could we maybe see both jerseys retired sometime next season? Perhaps on the same night?

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Theory time: A few months back, Kipper had some telephone interviews with Ryan Leslie and he mentioned that he was planning a trip to Calgary soon. Could we maybe see both jerseys retired sometime next season? Perhaps on the same night?
I doubt they'd do it the same night. I'm sure both Iggy and Kipper would prefer it that way, but the fans would want to celebrate each player individually.

Doesn't Kipper just live in Okotoks, or is he back in Finland now?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I doubt they'd do it the same night. I'm sure both Iggy and Kipper would prefer it that way, but the fans would want to celebrate each player individually.

Doesn't Kipper just live in Okotoks, or is he back in Finland now?

Pretty sure he's been gone to Finland for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->