Jarmo, JD receive contract extensions -- Torts also gets extension (post #27)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Only one thing is certain. Markus Nutivaara will be a future Stanley Cup champion, Jack Werenski won't be.

At the highest World Championship level Nutivaara has garnered in eight games 3+6, besides lifting the Kanada Chalice with Kärpät.

Zach has brother who plays hockey?

Reactions: leesmith

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Only one thing is certain. Markus Nutivaara will be a future Stanley Cup champion, Jack Werenski won't be.

At the highest World Championship level Nutivaara has garnered in eight games 3+6, besides lifting the Kanada Chalice with Kärpät.

Ok I remember this.

Love it though. Doubling down and doing Vicki's dirty work.

The difference between Jones and Werenski is larger than Nutivaara and Werenski.

The real question is where does Ryan Murray fit in this?

Jones > Murray > Werenski > Nutivaara > Savard....??

Reactions: stevo61

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Ok I remember this.

Love it though. Doubling down and doing Vicki's dirty work.

The difference between Jones and Werenski is larger than Nutivaara and Werenski.

I dont know if im as extreme as you but I feel like im the only one along with you who really kept such a positive view of Murray. I had been over a year asking for Murray-Jones as the top pair and I couldnt be happier it finally happened, definitely is a better all around pair. Now we just need Gavrikov in NA for Werenski to have a long term partner

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018

Only one thing is certain. Markus Nutivaara will be a future Stanley Cup champion. Ryan Murray won't be.

oulun-karpat-sebastian-aho-2015.jpg

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I dont know if im as extreme as you but I feel like im the only one along with you who really kept such a positive view of Murray. I had been over a year asking for Murray-Jones as the top pair and I couldnt be happier it finally happened, definitely is a better all around pair. Now we just need Gavrikov in NA for Werenski to have a long term partner

Yes, I believe you were made the VP of the fan club. And yes, along with our goalies overseas, I don't think many people realize just HOW GOOD Gavrikov is.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017

WHAT?!
giphy.gif

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I don't recall anyone thinking Murray wasn't a good player. Most of us have been very frustrated at his inability to stay healthy. The more games he's able to play in a row, the more he's shows his talent and value (And a contract year doesn't hurt either)

Reactions: CPTN71

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'll credit Jarmo for staying out of the running for the top wings available last summer. There was a clamor for it, but it looks like we're better off without making big commitments to any of JVR, Neal, Pacioretty, etc... (yes this is probably rubbing someone's nose in it).

Jarmo got burned badly with Horton and I hope he's learned to stay away from that level of forward in UFA. Those guys are usually terribly overpaid. It's going to be interesting next summer if Duchene or Stone make it to UFA, because those two are higher level. Stone is closer to Panarin level.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This is a comment on Howson's record, not on Jarmo - who has done an amazing job building one of the league's best D groups. But Howson doesn't have a thread so I'm putting it here:

On the latest 31 thoughts podcast they did a whole segment on "how do you find Tom Wilson" these days. That is, how do you get a big hitting nasty player who can score and make a difference in the playoffs, in an era when that sort of player isn't being developed anymore. They made it seem as if this is a question every team is asking. And I'm listening to that and thinking "not my Blue Jackets". Howson acquired Jenner, Anderson, Foligno, and Dubinsky, and those four guys do that job for us. They're taken for granted here. Jarmo has never had to go out of his way to find that sort of player. And I hope folks realize that it's a special thing to have them all. If this club has anything special to offer in the playoffs, it's probably because we have the kind of players who can play with passion, intensity, and are sometimes just plain nasty.

Reactions: thebus88 and Viqsi

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
I thought Wennberg, Eller and Oshie out of Kekäläinen era drafted forwards were doing the job of winning games in that series through personal impact while captain Foligno led by example and lost four in a row which is quite critical in a play-off setting.

Not to say that Jenner and Anderson aren't fine players. The assets used to trade for Dub and Fog could have perhaps been used to shape the Blue Jackets brand more adventurously but credit goes to Kekäläinen for extending the stay of these tossing pouches.

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I don't recall anyone thinking Murray wasn't a good player. Most of us have been very frustrated at his inability to stay healthy. The more games he's able to play in a row, the more he's shows his talent and value (And a contract year doesn't hurt either)

Your memory is failing.

There were "lots" of people calling him a bottom pairing defenseman and were questioning if he should be traded or even resigned.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
This is a comment on Howson's record, not on Jarmo - who has done an amazing job building one of the league's best D groups. But Howson doesn't have a thread so I'm putting it here:

On the latest 31 thoughts podcast they did a whole segment on "how do you find Tom Wilson" these days. That is, how do you get a big hitting nasty player who can score and make a difference in the playoffs, in an era when that sort of player isn't being developed anymore. They made it seem as if this is a question every team is asking. And I'm listening to that and thinking "not my Blue Jackets". Howson acquired Jenner, Anderson, Foligno, and Dubinsky, and those four guys do that job for us. They're taken for granted here. Jarmo has never had to go out of his way to find that sort of player. And I hope folks realize that it's a special thing to have them all. If this club has anything special to offer in the playoffs, it's probably because we have the kind of players who can play with passion, intensity, and are sometimes just plain nasty.

Its almost as if simply having the "most skilled" offensive players possible fill up 12-18 roster spots ISNT a recipe for success.

This isn't NBA basketball.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Also, where's all the "THE GAME IS MOVING AWAY FROM THIS STYLE OF HOCKEY" talk?

What style?

Where does the team rank offensively? Without added "math".

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Yes, I believe you were made the VP of the fan club. And yes, along with our goalies overseas, I don't think many people realize just HOW GOOD Gavrikov is.
Now I have always fought that Murray was one ofnthe mist underrated D in the league not just among our own team and fans and if you want to see someone advocate for Gavrikov I am probably 75% of all posts involving him on the site haha Inhavensaid he was NHL ready and would be onnour top 4 since basically he was drafted. I honestly believe he would be AT WORST 4th best on our current team and at best 2nd. He is elite world class talent.

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad