Jarmo, JD receive contract extensions -- Torts also gets extension (post #27)

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Was it put into the extension that Milano, Bjork and the youngsters will receive proper minutes in order to progress and be the player we need them to be?? :)

Reactions: MoeBartoli

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Was it put into the extension that Milano, Bjork and the youngsters will receive proper minutes in order to progress and be the player we need them to be?? :)

Which players do you think should have their minutes cut to allow for that? It's just a deep team. Understanding that, I think Torts has given plenty of opportunity to both Milano and Bjorkstrand.

Reactions: Monk

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Which players do you think should have their minutes cut to allow for that? It's just a deep team. Understanding that, I think Torts has given plenty of opportunity to both Milano and Bjorkstrand.

Milano isn't developing getting 4-10 minutes a game or sitting the entire 3rd period. We've been through this before. Insert player who is overpaid, slumping, has an injury, isn't performing quite up to standards ===== can be bumped down for a little bit to let someone else give it a go.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Anything less than a playoff series win and Torts might not make it to his extension.

I remember Romeo Crennel was given an extension by the Browns after a season in which they came close to the playoffs. They proceeded to have the first of a franchise record 10 consecutive losing seasons (which is an active streak), and Crennel was fired without ever coaching one of seasons he was extended to.

So the Blue Jackets should have waited until the end of this season before doing anything with Torts's contract. Because this rash move could very well backfire on them, like the move with Crennel backfired with the Browns.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Anything less than a playoff series win and Torts might not make it to his extension.

I remember Romeo Crennel was given an extension by the Browns after a season in which they came close to the playoffs. They proceeded to have the first of a franchise record 10 consecutive losing seasons (which is an active streak), and Crennel was fired without ever coaching one of seasons he was extended to.

So the Blue Jackets should have waited until the end of this season before doing anything with Torts's contract. Because this rash move could very well backfire on them, like the move with Crennel backfired with the Browns.

Not commenting on the move, but to call it "rash" is ignoring the fact that proven coaches in the league usually bargain for more than a year long contract. Torts accepting 1 year deals up to this point is the exception not the rule (I'm not actually sure if they were 1 year deals, but I remember thinking that they seemed short compared to most coach's deals).

Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

I guess John Davidson-he of one playoff series win in a dozen years as a team president-didn't take note of what happened in Washington last season.

An unnecessary extension.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Agree with Big Z and Cyclone. I wouldn't have extended any of them, to be honest. Let them play the season and see how it goes. If they show improvement and win a series, great, extend away. If the wheels fall off, then they are let go in April and someone else gets a chance to take the team to the next level.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Short of an absolute major catastrophic season ala Todd Richards, Torts has at least this year and the start of next for a leash. That means (at the very worst) the Jackets would pay him a season and a half to not coach. That's not too much of a backfire. Plus, it's not like any of us are paying him.

If you let him coach out the season you run the risk of him A. getting annoyed and controlling his own situation (Same thing people are pissed with Panarin/Bob about) which is what happened to Trotz last season. Sure, they won the cup, but the drove the coach away by them giving him no security. Or B. Pulling an Atkinson and coaching "scared" all season because he has no security. It just adds more drama and distraction for a team with already its fair share of it.

Reactions: Viqsi and thebus88

Noldo

May 28, 2007
As an outsider looking in the decision to extend the management while Bob’s and Panarin’s situations remain open seems like the wise thing to do. Although the management has been steady and determined so far, the last thing a team should hope for is management that believes that they have to prove themselves after what they have achieved so far. It could too early lead to rash moves. This gives Jarmo and Davidson confirmation that they can and should keep the eye on the long term picture.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Also, lets not forget that Torts and Jarmo/JD actually haven't done anything or haven't NOT done anything that is reason for them to be fired or not extended.

"Changing it up" just for the sake of change, when you DONT NEED CHANGE, makes NO SENSE.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Pro tip: the Blue Jackets are not the Browns. Hell, the Browns make the Doug MacLean era look like a period of competence.

Reactions: Fairwhether

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018

Tulipunaruusu, you have have been watching highlights of Columbus Blue Jackets games this Autumn so how would you describe the play so far? Has meidän peli been fulfilled?

I have been indeed watching highlights of Columbus Blue Jackets games but to properly analyze the play a more cherished viewer would need to see at least one full period of play to be able to see into the future.

83070b069a634e741c10d50a3f8b6dfb55c8b111539635c4444e7e85c5ca5ec7.jpg

Jarmo Kekäläinen's contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets was extended. How do you see his era with the Blue Jackets in comparison to what or whom he was as the general manager of HIFK in 1990's or Jokerit during 2010's?

The hockey world has been following Jarmo Kekäläinen story for a while now. When the offer came to take the role of general manager of the Blue Jackets there were questions of how he would cope working with lesser material after years in charge of Eurasian ice hockey pyramid's top clubs. The former head coach of Chicago Blackhawks, Ape Suhonen, guessed that Keklu Kekäläinen would work couple years abroad before feeling the draw to return to the bigger Finnish market clubs. That was before Markus Nutivaara was lured into the scene from the second most recent Kärpät dynasty.

When the two worlds aligned in 2013, Jarmo Kekäläinen had already in the coniferous forests been seduced by the vertical side of hockey. He ceased to be Jarmo Kekäläinen and became Jarmo Kekalainen.

Have you noticed any changes during the Blue Jackets era of Jarmo Kekalainen?

When Jarmo Kekalainen made one of his first signature trades he identified and targeted Scott Hartnell, who would became the best forward to play for the Blue Jackets. Hartnell's game was that of wall-passes, of creation and utilization of the puck in order to either make or win space. Then John Tortorella was hired and Hartnell was handed the eldest card in the Americas, the ganster card. Hartsy was placed in the fourth line, making it the then best forward line of the Blue Jackets, alongside two part-timers in Gagner and Sedlak. Then came summer and Hartnell was bought out.

What does this tell of the Blue Jackets leadership? Does Jarmo Kekäläinen need to be replaced in order for Columbus Blue Jackets to prosper?

Jarmo Kekalainen has already been replaced and his successor is in charge. This new Jarmo Kekalainen has almost the same voice and similar looks compared to the old but remember that shape of the skull does not change throughout time or cannot be altered. The new Kekalainen is more mellow in his outbursts and actions when it comes to his approach to winning, drifting even further from ideals of meidän peli that some of his former acquisations personified.

The old Jarmo Kekalainen has perhaps retired to live at a summer cottage in Kuopio, Finland or just disappeared after the 2015 NHL entry draft where Markus Nutivaara was identified and targeted by using the same principles that brought in Hartnell originally and were seemingly in place before the sudden recruitment of John Tortorella later in 2015. The team might have sensed something evil which explains the eight straight losses that began and ended the season.

When leaving Finland Jarmo Kekäläinen spoke openly of how you should not be afraid of holding onto your dreams. In Columbus there has been no such talk, ever or after.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
...somehow I'd forgotten that sense of "what the actual ****" that accompanies reading a Tulip post.

Apparently we are the first National Hockey League team to have as our general manager a pod person.

remakes-watching-slide-890Z-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg

Reactions: pete goegan

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
A quick reminder that this dude was 1 of the VERY 1ST PEOPLE to express many negative things about Puljujarvi. In general and in relation to PLD and the decision who to pick. He also was BASHED quite a bit for this by MANY CBJ fans. Not to mention what he said about Nutivaara and the shit he got for that.

Now look at how people view both guys now, along with what Pulujarvi has "turned into". So while some may think "what the actual f***", and attempt to belittle him, I'll simply acknowledge that I can not "speak" Finnish, and that this dude has gotten more "right" with his insight on Dubois, Pulujarvi, and Nutivaara than the vast majority of people here.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
A quick reminder that this dude was 1 of the VERY 1ST PEOPLE to express many negative things about Puljujarvi. In general and in relation to PLD and the decision who to pick. He also was BASHED quite a bit for this by MANY CBJ fans. Not to mention what he said about Nutivaara and the **** he got for that.

Now look at how people view both guys now, along with what Pulujarvi has "turned into". So while some may think "what the actual ****", and attempt to belittle him, I'll simply acknowledge that I can not "speak" Finnish, and that this dude has gotten more "right" with his insight on Dubois, Pulujarvi, and Nutivaara than the vast majority of people here.
I don't doubt he's insightful. I just can't forget how he used to repeatedly insist that Nutivaara was the best blueliner prospect we had, above Werenski and the newly-acquired Jones.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I don't doubt he's insightful. I just can't forget how he used to repeatedly insist that Nutivaara was the best blueliner prospect we had, above Werenski and the newly-acquired Jones.

Is that really who he compared Nutivaara to? Jones?

Werenski I could see and seem to remember. Look at where they are today, not THAT much of a difference between the guys. I'm not taking ANYTHING away from Werenski when I say this, but Murray and Nutivaara would and DO look A LOT better when playing with Jones. Both on the ice and on the scoresheet and "advanced statistics".

Or were you guys just bent out of shape for him saying he was better than Carlsson and guys like that?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Is that really who he compared Nutivaara to? Jones?

Werenski I could see and seem to remember. Look at where they are today, not THAT much of a difference between the guys. I'm not taking ANYTHING away from Werenski when I say this, but Murray and Nutivaara would and DO look A LOT better when playing with Jones. Both on the ice and on the scoresheet and "advanced statistics".

He was pretty unequivocal about Nutivaara being our future best defenseman.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You continue to try and belittle him, but Nutivaara could be better than Werenski. Would not surprise me, actually.
I'm doubtful. Keep in mind that Nutivaara is three years older than Werenski (he was drafted as an overager).

I love Nuti to death and have enjoyed watching him get better, and if he keeps progressing I wouldn't be shocked if he became recognized as top-pairing capable, but I'm still not convinced he's going to be the best defenseman we have. He may have #1D upside, but Werenski and Jones have Norris contender upside.

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Only one thing is certain. Markus Nutivaara will be a future Stanley Cup champion, Jack Werenski won't be.

At the highest World Championship level Nutivaara has garnered in eight games 3+6, besides lifting the Kanada Chalice with Kärpät.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad