Jarmo, JD receive contract extensions -- Torts also gets extension (post #27)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Meh, I'm fine with it. Although I like Davidson more than JK. What was funny to me is that I got to see Mike Priest's name again. I totally forgot about him.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Meh. They helped lead the franchise out of the basement and brought moderate respectability. They deserve this, for now.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I don't understand the timing of it...

What happens with Panarin, and to a slightly lesser degree Bob -- could very well be franchise altering ... suddenly we decide to hand out extensions today at 1:15? There has to be more to it...

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Great move by the #CBJ. Look at where we were prior to them coming in, and where we are now from a talent perspective. There is now some work to be done in restocking our prospects, but they have drafted very well, and traded even better.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

What happens with Panarin, and to a slightly lesser degree Bob -- could very well be franchise altering ... suddenly we decide to hand out extensions today at 1:15? There has to be more to it...
Not really... they have shown a steady hand, and pretty good judgement in handling contracts, and trades. Their job isnt contingent upon Bob or Panarin. I'm sure the management team feels confident that they will handle both situations based on their track record. Lets be clear, Bob would be signed today, if they felt he was worth the money Bob wants, and the term. They are not remotely in the ballpark, and Jarmo has shown he will not over pay on contracts. Panarin is what it is. He doesnt seem to value a place that can win the cup, he wants to be entertained daily, and values the community (russian) more , and theres nothing a gm can do to change that, other than do whats best for the team

Reactions: thebus88

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
CPTN71 said:

What happens with Panarin, and to a slightly lesser degree Bob -- could very well be franchise altering ... suddenly we decide to hand out extensions today at 1:15? There has to be more to it...​
Davidson said the contract extensions in the hockey operations department won’t change how they approach the pending situations with Panarin and Bobrovsky.
“When you have an important decision with people like Panarin and Bob, you submit that to ownership and they’re on board with whatever we do,” Davidson said. “We’d like to have both players be part of us for a long time. But you get the curveballs.
“They’re ours. They’re both Blue Jackets right now. Hopefully they both sign with us, but we’ll deal with it, however it goes. That’s part of the business.”

Reactions: CPTN71

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

You can only expect them to be able to do so much. It takes two to tango.

Happy about this. Stability is a good thing.

Reactions: thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

its-a-conspiracy.jpg

Not everything revolves around the HFCBJ Hysteria Of The Moment, y'know.

* * *​

Howson lost a half season to the lockout, and MacLean a full season, but still. Wow.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Not really... they have shown a steady hand, and pretty good judgement in handling contracts, and trades. Their job isnt contingent upon Bob or Panarin. I'm sure the management team feels confident that they will handle both situations based on their track record. Lets be clear, Bob would be signed today, if they felt he was worth the money Bob wants, and the term. They are not remotely in the ballpark, and Jarmo has shown he will not over pay on contracts. Panarin is what it is. He doesnt seem to value a place that can win the cup, he wants to be entertained daily, and values the community (russian) more , and theres nothing a gm can do to change that, other than do whats best for the team

Not contingent upon Bob or Panarin? So if they screw up both of those situations its fine? No big deal that the franchise takes 5 steps back when Panarin walks for nothing?

Secondly, not overpaying on contracts? I'm 100% sure I'm not the only person on here who will disagree with you on that statement. Hell, Foligno is my favorite player but him and Dubinsky are both playing on contracts that CBJ overpaid for...

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
You can only expect them to be able to do so much. It takes two to tango.

Happy about this. Stability is a good thing.

Sure, stability is a good thing. Sure, it takes two to tango. Extending them before they figure out two of the biggest decisions of their career is a bit interesting though.

its-a-conspiracy.jpg

Not everything revolves around the HFCBJ Hysteria Of The Moment, y'know.

Far from what I said and has nothing to do with hysteria.

But its par for the course with your replies to people who have opinions that are different than yours. I see the 'holier than thou' act on this sub board is still alive and well.. good times...​

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Not contingent upon Bob or Panarin? So if they screw up both of those situations its fine? No big deal that the franchise takes 5 steps back when Panarin walks for nothing?

Sure, stability is a good thing. Sure, it takes two to tango. Extending them before they figure out two of the biggest decisions of their career is a bit interesting though.

What would have to happen for you to consider the Bob or Panarin "situations" to be "screwed up"?? They are both NOT going to be on the CBJ in 10 months, NO MATTER WHAT. We seem to have people still holding out hope in BOTH situations that the guys might stay. While I think we should have looked and should continue to look at moving BOTH guys, I don't think this team is ruined with both guys traded before the year and I don't think they'd be ruined if kept for the entire year. I do however think it would be best for the future of the team to get some sort of legit assets for AT LEAST 1 of them. However, people have to remember these ARE NOT Rick Nash's Bluejackets, you better believe that the front office would be able to find a UFA or a trade partner, and be able to bring in 1-2 "elite" or VERY "impactful" players with the 12+ million in 'cap' that would be opened up.

Also can we go easy on the conspiraphobic responses and images. We's are people too. We's were born this way.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Far from what I said and has nothing to do with hysteria.
"What about Panarin" and "nothing to do with hysteria", when talking about the jobs of folks who are not Panarin, are mutually exclusive states. You cannot ask about the former while asserting the latter. They are inextricably intertwined. Because that means you feel that the Panarin situation somehow escalates to what amounts to something worse than a firing-worthy offense.

EDIT: Let's spell it out, just in case this was somehow missed:
  • What effect does this have on whether or not Panarin gets signed? None whatsoever.
  • What effect does this have on whether or not Panarin gets traded, at any time? None whatsoever.
  • What effect does this have on whether or not they can be replaced, if things go poorly? None whatsoever.
So in asking about Panarin, one is implying that somehow this should be petulantly "held over their heads" until... I dunno, something or rather happens with that situation somehow some way. It's nonsensical. It's akin to whining about our signing Riley Nash because he committed the inexcusable crime of Not Being Panarin.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJFan827

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
What would have to happen for you to consider the Bob or Panarin "situations" to be "screwed up"?? They are both NOT going to be on the CBJ in 10 months, NO MATTER WHAT. We seem to have people still holding out hope in BOTH situations that the guys might stay. While I think we should have looked and should continue to look at moving BOTH guys, I don't think this team is ruined with both guys traded before the year and I don't think they'd be ruined if kept for the entire year. I do however think it would be best for the future of the team to get some sort of legit assets for AT LEAST 1 of them. However, people have to remember these ARE NOT Rick Nash's Bluejackets, you better believe that the front office would be able to find a UFA or a trade partner, and be able to bring in 1-2 "elite" or VERY "impactful" players with the 12+ million in 'cap' that would be opened up.

Also can we go easy on the conspiraphobic responses and images. We's are people too. We's were born this way.

Its only human instinct to hope for the best right? :laugh:

Panarin - walking at the end of the season with no assets coming back and assuming no further success in the playoffs - is what I would consider a failure.

Bob - I should have clarified that its a lot less of a concern. The way I see it, if he walks at the end of the year we are likely stuck between Korpisalo & Elvis to step up...and thats a big gamble. Good goalies don't just appear on the market or grow on trees... so hopefully one of the two work out long term.

As far as the sudden opening of cap space in the event of no more 9/72 - I'm sure it will be nice to have but according to many on this board, the only money spent in FA is bad money on old players. Doesn't exactly sound super enticing right now.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I'll agree with most here, quite happy with this news.
They've brought respectability and instilled a new culture in the CBJ.
Leadership starts at the top.

That being said, before this news, I had a feeling if this season didn't go so well, JK would be let go and I could see someone like Mark Hunter being approached for our GM.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
3 playoff appearances, 2 of which were back to back with a 3rd possible this coming season barring disaster. And could have been 4 playoff appearances had they not been devastated with injuries after the first playoff appearance of Jarmos tenure.

I don't know how anyone could truly be surprised. It's not like the organization has high standards set from previous regimes.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Mediocrity.

The second rate saga continues. The Broadcaster and The Scout endure.

Ownership must not like having their calendars cluttered with hockey crap in May or June.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Mediocrity.

The second rate saga continues. The Broadcaster and The Scout endure.

Ownership must not like having their calendars cluttered with hockey crap in May or June.

The Broadcaster and The Scout

Step number one in how to disparage your GM and Pres: pretend these men haven't spent their entire lives in hockey in numerous roles, including NHL player.

latest

93e0676dbe484a3ca9bd0358f394b553_front.jpg

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The Broadcaster and The Scout

Step number one in how to disparage your GM and Pres: pretend these men haven't spent their entire lives in hockey in numerous roles, including NHL player.

latest

93e0676dbe484a3ca9bd0358f394b553_front.jpg
Step Number Two.

Pretend that playing in the NHL negates John Davidson's one playoff series win in 12 years as a Team Prez.

Pretend that Jarmo's 55 NHL game career really matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad