Jared Staal?

Midas0

Only the best Scouts
Dec 12, 2009
Peterborough, ON
What's the deal with this kid? I haven't heard anything about him in ages, and I just found out that he did a stint in the ECHL and didn't even do that well there.. Does this kid have any chance to be an NHL player, or maybe even an impact AHL player?

Thoughts?

Shesty31

Jul 10, 2011
Connecticut
In before somebody says "but I heard his father say that he was the most talented staal"

But seriously, he just isn't good enough. I'm pretty sure Phoenix only picked him in the 2nd round due to his last name. He may not even become a career AHL'er, let alone play in the NHL.

Last edited:

Midas0

Only the best Scouts
Dec 12, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Poor kid... Imagine Christmas dinner with the Staal family.. Jared asks, "Hey dad pass the gravy please", and his dad replies, "No, your not good enough and you've disgraced our families name. Get out of the house"... What a sad reality that kid lives..

HalbertGil*

Poor kid... Imagine Christmas dinner with the Staal family.. Jared asks, "Hey dad pass the gravy please", and his dad replies, "No, your not good enough and you've disgraced our families name. Get out of the house"... What a sad reality that kid lives..

:laugh: That was a bit melodramatic.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Yeah I feel bad for him too, having three brothers who are solidified full-time NHL players and you're the odd one out who's toiling around in the minors. Not to mention he's the only one who wasn't drafted in the first round either so clearly the same potential wasn't there either.

:laugh: That was a bit melodramatic.

Agreed :laugh:

His Beardliness*

41787_214277156210_9019_n.jpg

Apr 6, 2011

awkward post...

Iplayhockehh

Aug 20, 2010
Surrey
Jared Staal is the most talented Staal I have ever seen. I predict he will be a generational 100 point power forward and will put up 1500+ points in his career, 900 of those being goals.

No but seriously, Carolina is probably just hoping he can develop into a third line grinder capable of putting up 10-15 goals. In 249 OHL games he put up 153 points, which isn't amazing but isn't bad by any means. He has the size(6"4 and 214 pounds) if he puts some work into his skills he will make it. But honestly what in the world was Jared doing when the rest of his brothers were practising.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Jared Staal is the most talented Staal I have ever seen. I predict he will be a generational 100 point power forward and will put up 1500+ points in his career, 900 of those being goals.

No but seriously, Carolina is probably just hoping he can develop into a third line grinder capable of putting up 10-15 goals. In 249 OHL games he put up 153 points, which isn't amazing but isn't bad by any means. He has the size(6"4 and 214 pounds) if he puts some work into his skills he will make it. But honestly what in the world was Jared doing when the rest of his brothers were practising.

Playing goalie? :sarcasm:

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010

His spot at the dinner table is then taken by Gunnar Staal

backdoorpass

the fifth stall had a chance but hes not what his bros are, who can blame him when eric, marc, gunner and jordan are that good, he doesnt even go glove like the other staals, how good could you be

The Fuhr*

But honestly what in the world was Jared doing when the rest of his brothers were practising.

Watching interviews with the Staals it looks like Eric and Jared were the two closest together and Mark and Jordan were always together.

My theory is Eric became an awesome player at a young age out practising in the backyard rink. Mark became a defenseman being the second oldest and had a lot of practice defending Eric which allowed him to be great. Jordan then tried to become a shutdown center and teamed up with Mark to shutdown Eric.

Jared a few years younger did not get to practice with these three when they were developing there young skills. Then when they played 2 vs 2 in the outdoor think it was Eric and Jared vs Mark and Jordan... so Eric carried him and Jared.

Just my theory

I still think with Jared's size and being able to practice with his brothers in the summer to get better he may become a bottom six forward still after a few years of development.

This will be a big season to see if he put in a lot of work this summer to bring his game up.

Flyersfan1014

Jan 6, 2010
Reading PA
I saw him play in the ECHL against the Reading Royals (go there all the time because I live about 10 minutes away) and he was absolutely awful. Imagine someone with about the speed of Jody Shelley trying to dump the puck in and chase after it every time he goes up the ice. I went to that game in particular actually rooting for the other team for him just for fun and I was thouroughly disappointed. Absolutely awful and I don't think he'll even make it as a career AHLer. This guy should quit hockey or play a different type of game. His style would work if he was fast but he's so slow it doesn't work, even in a league as bad as the ECHL.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I feel so bad for him honestly. Three star older brothers and then Jared, someone who can't even make the NHL. It must hurt his confidence (I'm the younger brother, I somewhat know how he feels).

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Not like he works at all for it though, the guy is by far the most out of shape and laziest of his brothers to go along with the lacking talent level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad