Jared Staal

OilBuoy

Sep 8, 2006
Does anyone have any scouting reports on Jared Staal? I seem to recall hearing one of TSN's hockey analysts label him as the best of the Staal brothers in terms of long-term potential earlier this year. I just checked out his stats and see he only had 3pts in 63 games this past season as a right winger for the Sudbury Wolves. Those numbers don't seem too impressive for the best of the Staal brothers.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The quote was supposed to be Jordan.

Jared is nothing special. He'll get drafted because of his name but he's definitely the weakest Staal brother by a fair margin.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It was a misquote. They were talking about Jordan. Jared to this point has not come close to living up to his brothers, but who knows what will happen? I am sure someone will take a flyer on him at some point even if it is a 7th rd. pick based on name alone.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
he will get drafted because he's last name is staal.

lol. some people still think it was jared that was said to be the best.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

The article was J. Staal. Many interpreted it as Jared Staal when it was infact talking about Jordan.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Jared Staal offers nothing other than name value. If his last name was Johnson he wouldn't even merit a ranking from central scouting in his draft year.

rydude189

Oct 22, 2003
www.rydude.tk
I wouldn't put the verdict out on him, he played a very limited role last season getting only a few shifts a game. Let him play this season out and then make a judgment on him.

I remember the rookie season of Marc Staal, he was slower than the rest, but during the offseason he must of worked on his skating and was one of the quickest skaters on the Wolves the next season. There is definatly some potential.

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Aug 12, 2006
so quick to judge him.......i bet only rydude has seen him play...Jared has potential, dont look into those stats at all 3 points in that amount of games is nothing when you play no to 4 minutes of icetime a game. He'll see a elevated role next season and players can improve drastically in a year...is he the best staal?probably not but still a nhl draft prospect.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
so quick to judge him.......i bet only rydude has seen him play...Jared has potential, dont look into those stats at all 3 points in that amount of games is nothing when you play no to 4 minutes of icetime a game. He'll see a elevated role next season and players can improve drastically in a year...is he the best staal?probably not but still a nhl draft prospect.

Keep in mind Jordan was not too solid in his rookie year, I think it was about 30 points. He had a good playoff but still he didnt seem too impressive. Even in his draft year he had only 68 points. But no one questions him now.

Killer

May 16, 2006
Karlstad
Let say his 2nd year in the OHL is OK, but really not good enough to get picked in the early rounds, do you think teams like Hurricanes, Penguins and Rangers will try to get him in some of the early rounds so that they will have two Staal Brothers?

NativeHockey77*

Jared Staal:MY Opinion

We've all heard critisism about this Staal brother and how he isnt developed into the star so far like his other brothers. But this kid could still blossom into a 3rd or 4th round (Legitimately) But I tihkn he should of started his junior career against less talent from the OHL and rather play in the Best Junior A League in Canada, that is the BCHL. Look at Casey Pierro-Zabotel, he got cut from the Calgary Hitmen when he was just turning 16 and he went down to Junior "A" and now he is a bright prospect for the Penguins. Even read the wikipedia page I wrote up on Zabby and if he could blossom after being CUT from Major Junior and having a less than stellar first year in the BCHL, Im sure Jared can do the same thing but put the dude in the BCHL so he gets more ice time in the best Jr.A League in Canada ;) then when he develops enough put him back in the "O"

read this for yourself...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Pierro-Zabotel

Players are different but I still have faith in Jared :)

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
We've all heard critisism about this Staal brother and how he isnt developed into the star so far like his other brothers. But this kid could still blossom into a 3rd or 4th round (Legitimately) But I tihkn he should of started his junior career against less talent from the OHL and rather play in the Best Junior A League in Canada, that is the BCHL. Look at Casey Pierro-Zabotel, he got cut from the Calgary Hitmen when he was just turning 16 and he went down to Junior "A" and now he is a bright prospect for the Penguins. Even read the wikipedia page I wrote up on Zabby and if he could blossom after being CUT from Major Junior and having a less than stellar first year in the BCHL, Im sure Jared can do the same thing but put the dude in the BCHL so he gets more ice time in the best Jr.A League in Canada ;) then when he develops enough put him back in the "O"

Hockey Canada regulations prohibit 16-year-olds from moving between branches to play junior A hockey. He could not have played in the BCHL this past season.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004

Not too sure he could play in the BCHL. Almost positive he'd have to play in the OPJHL.

Gapper

Jan 3, 2007
I watched one of his games against Barrie last season and he did nothing, he didn't get much ice time but he did not look like he belonged

henri2014

Jul 30, 2005
The team with the most staals will be the most attractive for Erik when he is UFA so Jared will get picked by the penguins the rangers or the hurricanes.

OilerOlli*

Don't know anything about him, but a line with Eric Staal, Jared Staal and Jaret Stoll would be cool...and interesting for the commentators. :D

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I'm tired of hearing he has the most potential, but this will definitely be the year to keep an eye on Jared.

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
The team with the most staals will be the most attractive for Erik when he is UFA so Jared will get picked by the penguins the rangers or the hurricanes.
That's a very silly rationale for drafting a player. And you can certainly count Pittsburgh out of your list. They'll pick Jared Staal if they think he's the best available prospect; not because of his last name.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I could see Carolina making him a late round pick. They like to throw their picks away like that.

Oh, and Eric isn't going to be a free agent.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
Staal brothers wanting to play together reminds me of the Jordan Staal to Carolina for Jack Johnson rumor last summer. I'm sure they'd like to play with one another, but it's not the overwhelming dominating factor some make it seem to be.

Obviously the Jordan to Carolina deal didn't happen, and it's just as unlikely that NYR, Carolina or Pittsburgh would pick Jared Staal just because of his last name. If he's deemed the best prospect, I'm sure they would, but that's it.

And besides, if Jared has to go through the minor leagues or doesn't even crack an NHL roster it won't even matter. Maybe Jared will be the Brent Gretzky or Alain Lemieux of his family, who knows.

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
Does anyone have any scouting reports on Jared Staal? I seem to recall hearing one of TSN's hockey analysts label him as the best of the Staal brothers in terms of long-term potential earlier this year. I just checked out his stats and see he only had 3pts in 63 games this past season as a right winger for the Sudbury Wolves. Those numbers don't seem too impressive for the best of the Staal brothers.

There was a time a few years ago when a few people thought that way, but for the most part Jared is seen as a fringe NHL at best.

I play golf regularly with a good friend of the Staal's (plays hockey with their dad Henry), who has watched the boys alot over the years, and he said he would be surprised in Jared made it past the ECHL. He also said, before Jordan played a game in the NHL, that he felt Jordon would be the best of the four of them.

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
Jared got maybe 1-2 minutes of ice time per game, and quite a few of those games he didnt even get a shift. When he did get shift, at first he looked out of place, but by the end of season he started to look way better. If he gets the ice time this season, he'll prolly put up decent numbers, but thats a huge IF for the ice time as Foligno's other son gets to join the Wolves this year (ugh)....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->