Jared Seminoff article

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
As a Nelsonite, I feel compelled to contribute articles in the local paper about prospects coming out of my area. Especially ones I went to high school with.

Jared Seminoff joins Ivy League school next season

It didn't take Nelson's Jared Seminoff long to catch the eye of scouts from colleges south of the 49th parallel.

Midway through his inaugural season with the Nanaimo Clippers of the BCHL, the 18-year-old Heritage City native saw an offer to his liking and has now committed to attend Cornell University in the fall of 2005.

Seminoff will join current Clipper teammate Tyler Mugford at the Ivy League school next season.

LVR grad Beth Dibella (kmad note: I know her personally, she's my friends sister, she's a huge slut) is currently completing her first year at Cornell.

"I'm really excited that it's now happened after talking about it for what seems was a long time," Seminoff told the Nelson Daily News from his billet's home in Nanaimo.

"My coach (Bill Bestwick) and the coach at Cornell are good buddies so a lot of Clippers tend to go there," Seminoff added. "It's such a great school with its old 18th century buildings. It's like a place right out of a movie. I'm so excited things just fell into place."

Some critics think Seminoff accepted the scholarship too early in his BCHL career. Generally, players wait until their final season before taking the American College route.

However, Seminoff is quite happy to commence college, knowing full well what his future holds.

"Going to college I know I'm going to get an education," said Seminoff, always knowing he wanted to pursue the college route instead of playing in Tier I junior hockey.

"Plus I could get hurt in my first year, and I still know I'm going to have four years of paid school guaranteed."

Bestwick said it's been no secret the relationship between Cornell University and the Nanaimo franchise. More Clippers are playing at the Ivy League school than any other junior club in the country. Jared is just another one of those players that fits that bill.

"Jared is a solid defender who plays the game intelligently with smarts," said Bestwick as the Clippers prepared to embark on a three-game nothern road trip.

"He's a very well-balanced player that will continue to play that way when he gets to Cornell."

Despite only joining one of the elite teams in the BCHL this season, Seminoff feels he's been on the college scouting radar screen for some time.

"I played two seasons of junior hockey at Notre Dame," Seminoff explained. "Scouts are always around because it's such a good program and known for producing hockey players."

It seems like it was many years ago when the Nelson Bantam Reps won the BC Minor Hockey AA title in Salmon Arm.

Seminoff, current Clipper teammate Chris Kestell, and Geoff Kinrade, who now plays for Cowichan Valley of the BCHL, anchored the defense for Bill Kestell's provincial winning squad.

However, instead of staying home to complete his minor hockey career, Seminoff decided to attend Notre Dame, in Wilcox, Saskatchewan. The move, according to Jared, was the right one to make at the time.

"It was definitely a bonus for me and I feel a turning point in my life," Seminoff explained. "It made me focus more on hockey and schooling. I don't think I could ask for it to work out any better."

Seminoff's improved play had other junior teams calling. Nanaimo provided the best opportunity for Seminoff to refine his skills while pursuing a championship.

"I always wanted to win a championship and Nanaimo came close last year so when they contacted me I thought this year would be even better," said Seminoff, who has five goals and 13 assists in 36 games for the Coastal Division leaders.

And now that Seminoff is committed for four years to the full-ride Cornell deal, he can concentrate on helping the Clippers get back to the Royal Bank Cup.

"Getting back to the Royal Bank tournament has been the team focus from the start of the season," Seminoff admits. "Getting the scholarship over this early is great. Now I don't have to worry about it and can focus on hockey."

Nanaimo, 39-7-0-3, had a poor start to the northern road trip, losing 5-3 Thursday night to Quesnel. However, the Clippers remain one of the powerhouses in the BCHL, and a favorite to repeat as league champs. It's obvious, with Jared Seminoff anchoring the defense, repeating may be just a little easier.

-Bruce Fuhr, Daily News Sports.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
good hear abotu the local kids doing well cause the Nelson Leafs sure arnt doing anything positive.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
"Jared is a solid defender who plays the game intelligently with smarts"

That's a welcome change of pace from all those other guys who play the game intelligently without any smarts.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Mr Bugg said:
That's a welcome change of pace from all those other guys who play the game intelligently without any smarts.

Most people who post here have better editorial skills than local hockey writers.

Beth Dibella probably doesn't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->