Jared McIsaac signs 3 year Entry Level Contract

Bonnaroo

Sep 19, 2018
Is he eligible for Grand Rapids? The little blurb on CBS I saw on the signing said his first step would be there, but I assumed because he’s only 18, he’d be shipped back to Halifax.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I've really lost track of rules/policies. What does this signing imply exactly? I'm fairly sure they didn't have to sign him and so to me this implies they either really like him and or they plan to move him to GR sooner than later.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Its too bad he got hurt, he would've got playing time in the preseason before being sent down unlike most of the junior prospects. He was clearly the best dman behind Cholowski in the prospects tourney. I think hes going to have a sneaky good season and likely make the WJC team.

I hope he can have a Saad type post draft season. Went way lower than he was projected to start his draft year but finds his groove again and becomes a free top 15 pick

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I've really lost track of rules/policies. What does this signing imply exactly? I'm fairly sure they didn't have to sign him and so to me this implies they either really like him and or they plan to move him to GR sooner than later.
A lot of the time early signings like this are a combination of a reward for good performance and trying to sign a player they think is going to improve over the season (and ask for more next year). That said, this doesn't change when he'll be in GR. He was always going to GR right when able.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
A lot of the time early signings like this are a combination of a reward for good performance and trying to sign a player they think is going to improve over the season (and ask for more next year). That said, this doesn't change when he'll be in GR. He was always going to GR right when able.

Yeah, it's a small reward. He'll get the ELC signing bonus for 1st year, even though his ELC contract would slide, when he is returning to Halifax. He'll 92 500 dollars instantly as a signing bonus.

Do WHL, OHL and QMJHL Players Get Paid? -

That signing bonus is huge add for the sums the players normally earn in Canadian junior hockey leagues.

Jared McIsaac - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

A basic example for a player, like McIsaac who signs ELC as 18-year old, but won't play in NHL for first 2 years. Salary will be paid like this:

1st year (ELC slide) 18-year-old, signing bonus paid, 92.5k
2nd year (ELC slide) 19-year-old, signing bonus paid, 92.5k
3rd year (in AHL) 20-year old, signing bonus paid, 92.5k + minors salary 70k = Total 162.5k
4th year (50%AHL, 50%NHL) 21-year old, no bonuses, minors salary 50% of 70k + 50% of 832.5k = Total 451.25k
5th year (NHL) 22-year-old, no bonuses, 832.5k

So signing bonuses are always paid (entry-level slide or not) on 1-2-3 year after the signing, but normal salaries after the slide-years.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Is he eligible for Grand Rapids? The little blurb on CBS I saw on the signing said his first step would be there, but I assumed because he’s only 18, he’d be shipped back to Halifax.

Not for 2 years...

One season at Halifax is ok, but at next season they should try to find some place for pro debut, one way or another...

I think playing in Europe is the only loophole on this case.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Any report to the extent of his injury and when he might play for Halifax this year?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nice to see him doing well after the shoulder injury.

15 games, 5+11=16 points, +10.

Only three defencemen are over one point per game, and those two others are much older guys.

McIsaac is imo, the best of his age class in the QMJHL. He was projected to be a shut-down guy, so this pointscoring is more of a plus.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Nice to see him doing well after the shoulder injury.

15 games, 5+11=16 points, +10.

Only three defencemen are over one point per game, and those two others are much older guys.

McIsaac is imo, the best of his age class in the QMJHL. He was projected to be a shut-down guy, so this pointscoring is more of a plus.

Yep hes third in points per game in the Q for dmen behind 2 older guys. Hes 2 goals out of the top 5 with at least 6 games less played than anyone in the top 5. I didnt realize he was actually that high in scoring for a dman. Hes noticeably outscoring high pick Noah Dobson

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yep hes third in points per game in the Q for dmen behind 2 older guys. Hes 2 goals out of the top 5 with at least 6 games less played than anyone in the top 5. I didnt realize he was actually that high in scoring for a dman. Hes noticeably outscoring high pick Noah Dobson

Talk about 2 teams at the opposite end of the spectrum...

Halifax has scored 98 goals and Arcadie-Bathurst have scored 47.

I feel bad for Dobson, he is on a sinking ship. All their talent left. But he will be getting moved soon.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Talk about 2 teams at the opposite end of the spectrum...

Halifax has scored 98 goals and Arcadie-Bathurst have scored 47.

I feel bad for Dobson, he is on a sinking ship. All their talent left. But he will be getting moved soon.

Yeah shoulda mentioned that I guess. Halifax is stacked and obviously Dobsons team is brutal. Still really good to see that his production is better than such a highly touted player though

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I keep hoping Halifax will trade for Dobson and pair him with McIsaac.

I'm sure hes a guy that will be on Halifax's radar. They host the mem cup and hes on a horrible team, almost seems like too good of a fit. McIsaac with Dobson would have to be the best 1-2 dman punch in the Q I would think as well

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
McIsaac should be right up there with Veleno and Zadina. Kid is known for being sound defensively and is also now putting up big points. He's gonna massively outperform his draft position. Glad to see the Wings recognizing this.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
McIsaac should be right up there with Veleno and Zadina. Kid is known for being sound defensively and is also now putting up big points. He's gonna massively outperform his draft position. Glad to see the Wings recognizing this.

I like McIsaac a lot... had him ranked top 20... but just a reminder that XO also went basically a PPG in his +1 year.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I like McIsaac a lot... had him ranked top 20... but just a reminder that XO also went basically a PPG in his +1 year.

As did Cholowski, and look how he's turning out. Each prospect is different.

McIsaac is a solid puck moving D, which is key in today's NHL, I'm excited to see him in the World Juniors.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
As did Cholowski, and look how he's turning out. Each prospect is different.

McIsaac is a solid puck moving D, which is key in today's NHL, I'm excited to see him in the World Juniors.

Cholowski played NCAA in his +1, but I know what you mean.

Key thing is McIsaac skates way better than XO ever did. Was just saying while PPG in the Q in your +1 is good, it’s not unprecedented or anything.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Cholowski played NCAA in his +1, but I know what you mean.

Key thing is McIsaac skates way better than XO ever did. Was just saying while PPG in the Q in your +1 is good, it’s not unprecedented or anything.

Yeah skating is the big difference. Everyhting that Ouellet does is at top 4 NHL D level except his skating never really improves. He was a really good dman in junior, one of Canadas best at the world juniors as well. McIsaac is already a great skater. But youre right, point per game isnt unheard of, and Ouellet fnished that year third in scoring and third in points per game for dmen in the Q.

Reactions: Winger98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad