Sportsnet: Jared Cowen is not going to file a grievance against the Toronto Maple Leafs

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I don't disagree much with management, but I feel like this is a move where they are thinking they are smarter than they are.

There are tons of examples of players being awful somewhere and turning it around in another environment on another team. I feel like this will come back to haunt us, having not even given him an AHL game to show he can still play.

Half a year of a rest and a strong offseason, there will be a guy looking to prove himself. Is it likely he is nothing more than a bottom pairing D in the NHL or goes to europe? Yes.

However how many times does this organization need to burn itself before it reaches for the oven mitts. Giving up on young talent never works, especially without giving them a chance.

A lot of people forget how good of a player he was when he was drafted, and even when he started his career with Ottawa.

Can't take a proper look at a player if they are a wounded warrior , plus he has two years left on his deal.

So we take the time to try and "fix" him

He inks a 1 year PTO with someone next year and say it works out

Now , do you think we would have any inside track in the 2017/18 ?

a repaired UFA looking for a team and we come a knocking? pay it forward, maybe?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
If he did, Lou would make his life next season a living hell. Take the buyout and shad ap!

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Cowen is a former top pick. It's not as if the pedigree isn't there for him.

I don't disagree much with management, but I feel like this is a move where they are thinking they are smarter than they are.

There are tons of examples of players being awful somewhere and turning it around in another environment on another team. I feel like this will come back to haunt us, having not even given him an AHL game to show he can still play.

Half a year of a rest and a strong offseason, there will be a guy looking to prove himself. Is it likely he is nothing more than a bottom pairing D in the NHL or goes to europe? Yes.

However how many times does this organization need to burn itself before it reaches for the oven mitts. Giving up on young talent never works, especially without giving them a chance.

A lot of people forget how good of a player he was when he was drafted, and even when he started his career with Ottawa.

Cowen was a big mistake at #9. He was big -- and was able to physically dominate younger, smaller players. But he was never a good player, even at the WHL level. 0.43ppg in the WHL in his draft year as a mutant man-child is actually pretty poor. And his draft+1 year, 0.5ppg, is actually worse, because players that make it to the NHL improve much more.

He only ever looked good against children. And not even that good.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
Smart Cowen. You don't want to mess around with this managment group.

Anyone heard from Robidas recently...??

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
He'll get an nhl deal somewhere. Nothing long term or anything but some GM will give him a shot.

I think he might end up back in Ottawa and his part in the deal was expected to turn out like this. Toronto helping out Ottawa financially to cover as much of the Phaneuf salary as possible without retaining on Dion.

We'll see but I won't be surprised if he's signed by Ottawa to a cheap contract once Toronto buys him out.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Let me think here......I could go home and get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars?!?! Hmmmmm.....let me think about this a little more.....hmmmmm

SIGN ME UP!!!

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
I'd like the NHLPA to file a grievance against a move like this eventually to settle it once and for all. No player should have a right to play. The player only has a right to receive his negotiated salary by being willing to show up for work. This is probably why the NHLPA doesn't want to file a grievance because they know they'll lose it.

The NHLPA represents the players. And the players want to get paid. No way they'd turn their backs on the players they're supposed to represent and say "Sorry guys, no play, no pay".

That's the kind of thing that Bettman and his cronies would push for.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
He can't skate and can't move the puck - being injured didn't change those facts.

Yea, I can't believe people are advocating to bring back poor man version of Luke Schenn.

Ottawa makes terrible decisions with defenders, see Weircoch and Ceci. Yet, Cowen was scratched. That should ring significant alarm bells.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad