Jared Coreau signing with the Wings

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Seems like a solid pick up. We have Mrazek at the minor league level and nothing else. Paterson still a year left in juniors.

Anchor Town*

Numbers aren't great and he played in a very defensive system so you expect him to put up better numbers than what he did. Doesn't even rank in the top 30 in save percentage or goals against. About th only thing going for him is his size. A kid I wish they would look at is Stephon Williams from Minnesota State. Won WCHA Goalie of the Year and WCHA Rookie of the Year as a freshman. Only 19 years old too

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Numbers aren't great and he played in a very defensive system so you expect him to put up better numbers than what he did. Doesn't even rank in the top 30 in save percentage or goals against. About th only thing going for him is his size. A kid I wish they would look at is Stephon Williams from Minnesota State. Won WCHA Goalie of the Year and WCHA Rookie of the Year as a freshman. Only 19 years old too

He put up a 0.919 save% on a pretty bad team this year, that looks good to me.

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
The really scary version... This has nothing to do with Pearce and McCollum but rather Howard's negotiations have completely broken down.

I mean it would be interesting to watch Mrazek next year, but I think one more season in the AHL is probably best for him.

That wouldn't really make sense since this guy won't even see an NHL rink for 3-4 years. Just means goodbye Pearce and McCollum after the season. Who wants Howard for the rumoured seven years anyways? I sure as hell don't.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That wouldn't really make sense since this guy won't even see an NHL rink for 3-4 years. Just means goodbye Pearce and McCollum after the season. Who wants Howard for the rumoured seven years anyways? I sure as hell don't.

I said that first and that is what I think it is, that is why the other is the really scary version. If Mrazek is gone they cannot wait for Paterson to show up at that level and would have to really pursue this. As is they can get whatever, I did expect this kind of thing if they didn't plan on putting McCollum still down in the minors on a deal after clearing him through waivers.

I am very content with our system of goalies, I hope Howard's deal isn't longer than 5 years. Ideally it would be four, but five is okay, six still puts us in control of an RFA Mrazek even though I am angry at that point, seven is no good at all in my opinion.

Anchor Town*

He put up a 0.919 save% on a pretty bad team this year, that looks good to me.

Not when the entire defensive philosophy is everyone to collapse to he's facing low percentage shots from the outside. Trust me I've watched Northern multiple times this year, he was not impressive whatsoever

HTT3*

Jared is a solid goaltender. I go to Northern, and have seen him the past 3 years. He has the drive and work ethic to become a pro. Nice size, good hands and good laterally. Sees the puck well and is good low. Overall, he could be a decent backup in the NHL, with a chance to be a #1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S4ZEMOQrFc

Not when the entire defensive philosophy is everyone to collapse to he's facing low percentage shots from the outside. Trust me I've watched Northern multiple times this year, he was not impressive whatsoever

Interesting.... Who to believe and who knows nothing about hockey talent? :amazed:

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
Wings are definitely bottom 10 in the league when it comes to goalie depth in the system, so this makes sense.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

He's replacing Pearce. Not that difficult to do so no big deal IMO.

Aug 6, 2012
Could've had Vasilevsky too. Stevie Y used our 1st rounder to draft him, and he's doing very well in the KHL. Our depth is still solid.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I don't really have a problem with the signing, but don't understand it.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Right now, the Wings have:

Howard
Gustavsson
Mrazek
McCollum
Pearce

After this season (without this signing), the Wings might only have:

Howard
Gustavsson
Mrazek

While it's likely that McCollum re-signs, the Wings need someone in the Pearce/McCollum spot and potentially the Mrazek spot in the future. Immediately, he'll probably push McCollum for his job and at worst start in the ECHL.

Now, the comments about him maybe seeing NHL time are just plainly out to ****ing lunch. I have no idea what that's about. Source:

The Griffins are the AHL affiliate of the Red Wings. According to the source inside the NMU hockey program, the 6-foot-4, 208-pound Coreau could see time not only with the Griffins, but the Wings as well.
From the Mining Journal or whatever it's called.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Apparently, the Wings will sign Jared Coreau, a 6'5'' goalie out of NMU.

http://www.miningjournal.net/page/c...oreau-reach-tentative-agreement.html?nav=5075

MARQUETTE - The Detroit Red Wings have reached a tentative agreement with Northern Michigan University junior goaltender Jared Coreau, who will be in the Motor City today, according to a source within the Wildcats hockey program.

TSN's Bob McKenzie first reported Monday evening of the deal between Detroit and the NMU starting goalie, who has one more year of NCAA eligibility left, but has decided to forgo his senior season to turn pro.

In an interview last week with The Mining Journal, Coreau said he had seven teams, including the Wings, interested in him following the Wildcats' first-round CCHA playoff series loss at Michigan.

EDIT : My bad, didn't see he already had another thread.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Now, the comments about him maybe seeing NHL time are just plainly out to ****ing lunch. I have no idea what that's about. Source:

From the Mining Journal or whatever it's called.

Wings not happy with Monster or something? :huh:

It makes absolutely no sense for him to leapfrog Mrazek and get a shot in an NHL game now.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I can already see Ryan Miller in a wings jersey.

I don't see how this signing affects that at all.

I don't see it happening either, but I guess that's another issue ... they're going to give Howard a long term contract this summer and Miller still has a year on his deal. The Wings would have to deal Howard next summer if they're going to wait Miller out, they'd have to pay full market price for Miller as a UFA, and they'd have to give up a lot of assets if they wanted to get Miller early.

Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

It's pretty simple, I think.

They don't have any goalie depth in the pipeline, they thought Coreau had potential, and they snapped him up.

McCollum is a bust and they look like they're going to cut their losses on him this summer. Ditto for Pearce.

Mrazek is the #1 in GR next year. They'll probably sign an AHL journeyman, and then he and Coreau can battle it out to see who's in GR and who's in Toledo.

Paterson has another year of junior eligibility left and there's no reason to rush him. His numbers are awful but supposedly they like how he's developing - I haven't seen him so I don't know. Sounds like they're going to leave him in junior for another year.

That's my guess anyway.

Either way, I'd much rather they stick to this route for stocking the goalie pipeline than waste more early round picks on goalies. Late picks and undrafteds, that's the way to build a goalie pipeline.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't see how this signing affects that at all.

I don't see it happening either, but I guess that's another issue ... they're going to give Howard a long term contract this summer and Miller still has a year on his deal. The Wings would have to deal Howard next summer if they're going to wait Miller out, they'd have to pay full market price for Miller as a UFA, and they'd have to give up a lot of assets if they wanted to get Miller early.

Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

It's pretty simple, I think.

They don't have any goalie depth in the pipeline, they thought Coreau had potential, and they snapped him up.

McCollum is a bust and they look like they're going to cut their losses on him this summer. Ditto for Pearce.

Mrazek is the #1 in GR next year. They'll probably sign an AHL journeyman, and then he and Coreau can battle it out to see who's in GR and who's in Toledo.

Paterson has another year of junior eligibility left and there's no reason to rush him. His numbers are awful but supposedly they like how he's developing - I haven't seen him so I don't know. Sounds like they're going to leave him in junior for another year.

That's my guess anyway.

Either way, I'd much rather they stick to this route for stocking the goalie pipeline than waste more early round picks on goalies. Late picks and undrafteds, that's the way to build a goalie pipeline.

Paterson isn't allowed by rules to be up next season because of that junior eligibility unless he is in Detroit and that just isn't happening.

He is impressive when he doesn't have to play with that team just look at the month with team Canada where people raved about him. He is the odds on starter for Team Canada at the next WJC, him and Fucale will battle it out.

Having Mrazek and Paterson at this point is pretty good depth, better than it has been in a while although we will have to wait and see how Paterson does as Team Canada #1 and a pro.

Still agree with this signing, but think we have solid goaltender depth in the system with a couple guys having high upside. Better than it has been in a while and not bottom ten in the league.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
As another NMU alum, I'm less enthusiastic about this signing than aceman. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Goalie depth signing, nothing more; if he turns out to be worth some salt, awesome -- if not, nothing lost. I don't really know how enthusiastic one should be about it, but hey, it takes all kinds.

That's true. He's been behind a fairly modest defense at best. This season one of the worst in the CCHA for goals against, if I'm remembering correctly. And like most college goaltenders, there's still lots of opportunity for him to grow as a player.

I'll be rooting for him, that's for sure. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->