Jared Coreau signing with the Wings

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
College UFA G Jared Coreau of Northern Michigan in DET tomorrow. Tentative agreement in place with Wings tho actual signing date TBD.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Bottom line, though, is Coreau will be Red Wing property.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Pearce is leaving the system, Mrazek will be in DET soon. Makes sense to get some depth and the guys a monster

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not like we didn't already know this but goodbye McCollum, looks like the Wings plan for next year to be Mrazek's last AHL season as well. He will come up for Monster right after that in the backup role. Paterson and Coreau will be in Grand Rapids, nice organizational depth all of a sudden at the goalie position. This kid is massive and has a lot of potential. Like the move, wonder what our contract numbers are at right now really need to shed Parkes, Fournier, and Coetzee.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
:huh:
Don't really understand this move.

Northern is not a good hockey team. Sorry if that hurts some feelings, no harm intended. Only MSU finished lower than Northern in the final CCHA standings. With that being said a .919 SV% is pretty impressive. Add in the fact the young man is pretty big and there's really no downside. I agree that McCollum and Pearce are about to peace out so it doesn't hurt to take a flyer on this guy and see what happens. Interesting to see where they put him, does he get a shot at backing up Mrazek this season?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The really scary version... This has nothing to do with Pearce and McCollum but rather Howard's negotiations have completely broken down.

I mean it would be interesting to watch Mrazek next year, but I think one more season in the AHL is probably best for him.

Aug 6, 2012
The really scary version... This has nothing to do with Pearce and McCollum but rather Howard's negotiations have completely broken down.

I mean it would be interesting to watch Mrazek next year, but I think one more season in the AHL is probably best for him.

If Jimmy wants 7 years then I'm all for Mrazek starting next year. But unless KH has an epiphany there's no way our orginization let's a 21 year old carry the load.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

I don't think it has anything to do with Howard. We're talking about a guy who might get a shot in GR next season if he's lucky. There's no guarantee he'll even sniff the NHL. Even then, Mrazek is a little further from the NHL than we think imo. He needs to be eased in.

Last edited:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

That would be quite scary. I really like Mrazek but there is no guarantee that he ends up as good as Howard, mind you I'm one of Howards biggest supporters so I'm a bit biased, and rushing Mrazek may end up ruining him.

This is a no downside signing, if I had to guess they're hoping that one of Patterson/Coreau is the backup in 6-7 years. He's also huge so there's always a chance we could develop him into a Rinne. I think that 2-3 years from now Mrazek will be backup/1B, then 2 years later we have Mrazek starting and one of these guys backing him up.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
based on rumors their are a # of good to elite NHL goalies said to be available at the moment/this summer

if we let Howard go(we wont) its not so we can let Mrazek be our #1 guy, its cause we landed one of Luongo, Miller, Bernier, Kipper, etc.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So according to Capgeek we have 51 contracts.

4 are EL SR (Tvrdon, Frk, Ouellet, and Sproul)

5 are expiring and seem done with Wings (Mursak, Pare, McCollum, Pearce, and Raedeke)

The Wings need to move some of these contracts assuming that rule still exists in the new CBA which I think it does.

If we want to be in on DeKeyser, plus sign Marchenko, Nedomlel (maybe), Jensen (this year otherwise he probably walks as a UFA after his senior season), and Quine.

Lets be honest Nestrasil (probably the best chance but really minimal), Coetzee, Fournier and Parkes (second best shot) have no future with this organization. All have an additional year on their contract.

Now sure some of these numbers are inflated by the 26 contracts up with the Wings, but this is concerning.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
So according to Capgeek we have 51 contracts.

4 are EL SR (Tvrdon, Frk, Ouellet, and Sproul)

5 are expiring and seem done with Wings (Mursak, Pare, McCollum, Pearce, and Raedeke)

The Wings need to move some of these contracts assuming that rule still exists in the new CBA which I think it does.

If we want to be in on DeKeyser, plus sign Marchenko, Nedomlel (maybe), Jensen (this year otherwise he probably walks as a UFA after his senior season), and Quine.

Lets be honest Nestrasil (probably the best chance but really minimal), Coetzee, Fournier and Parkes (second best shot) have no future with this organization. All have an additional year on their contract.

Now sure some of these numbers are inflated by the 26 contracts up with the Wings, but this is concerning.

Well if we assume that Cleary, Miller & White walk that's 3 more contract spots to play with. So we could be in on DeKeyser and sign Quine & Marchenko, I would like to get Jensen signed but I have a feeling he's going to not sign with us. However next year after we let those 4/5 contracts go we have enough space to sign Jensen, Patterson or anyone else we need to sign.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
He can't be any worse than McCollum or Pearce...I don't have a problem with the signing.

aceman5434

Mar 18, 2013
Jared is a solid goaltender. I go to Northern, and have seen him the past 3 years. He has the drive and work ethic to become a pro. Nice size, good hands and good laterally. Sees the puck well and is good low. Overall, he could be a decent backup in the NHL, with a chance to be a #1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S4ZEMOQrFc

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Jared is a solid goaltender. I go to Northern, and have seen him the past 3 years. He has the drive and work ethic to become a pro. Nice size, good hands and good laterally. Sees the puck well and is good low. Overall, he could be a decent backup in the NHL, with a chance to be a #1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S4ZEMOQrFc

Thanks for the info, guess he was worth signing up a user name for.:handclap:

Here is the video without URL

aceman5434

Mar 18, 2013
Yes, i've been meaning to sign up for one. I read these boards every day, just never really respond.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad