Jared Bednar on his growth as coach, Avs goalies, Mikko Rantanen (PHT Q&A)

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Certainly, Gabriel Landeskog is part of that line and can’t be overlooked because they all play a different game but they find a way to complement one another and there’s a chemistry there that I’d like to see them continue to grow as a line. Last year, just being the first step, they can continue to improve as individuals and as a line, to be honest.

Certainly sounds like the top line stays together next year.

Reactions: MacBradley

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Good interview.

I like Jared. When he was speaking about his ECHL days, it made me realize what he had to do to become an NHL coach. He wasn't gifted the job like former NHL players or assistant coaches, he worked his ass to the top. How unfair for him it would have been to fire him after the 48 pts season. I'm so glad he's still around, he's a great coach and also a great human being. I hope he sticks around for many more years.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Good interview.

I like Jared. When he was speaking about his ECHL days, it made me realize what he had to do to become an NHL coach. He wasn't gifted the job like former NHL players or assistant coaches, he worked his ass to the top. How unfair for him it would have been to fire him after the 48 pts season. I'm so glad he's still around, he's a great coach and also a great human being. I hope he sticks around for many more years.

I'm not crying YOU'RE crying.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Great interview. Bednar may not be the most exciting interview in front of the camera, but he's great in print because he has such an analytical mind.

Sounds like the #1G may still be Varly's to lose. They'll ride whoever gets hot, but it sounds like he still believes Varly is their guy if he's healthy.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It’s absolutely insane anyone thought that line wasn’t staying together.
I can't find it now, but there was an interview with Mikko where he said they all talked with each other before the game about strategy and what they were going to do.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
"Mikko is a really nice kid, had a breakout season. He’s a hard-working guy in the off-season and also during the season. I think he’s just scratching the surface of his potential. He’s still a young player, both age-wise and from an experience standpoint in the league. I think that he has another level that he can get to, we’re going to try to push him to that level here this year as a coaching staff and demand more of him. He can still become more consistent. But he’s a real receptive guy. He’s a highly-intelligent, highly-skilled player and he’s got great size and strength, too. Sky’s the limit for Mikko…"

Agreed, Jared. Mikko might just be a nearly perfect version of a modern times' power forward in the making. I'm very excited about the chance to watch him develop further in the next couple of seasons.

Reactions: Ippenator

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I've liked him from the beginning and hope he and the team continue to improve. I think he's exactly the kind of coach this league needs. He's not in love with talentless grinders, he doesn't put young players in a position to fail, and he's not an overly conservative coach, which makes him anathema to a vast majority of the pro ranks. I've said before I'm not 100% he's The Guy that'll make this team a contender, but he deserves the chance to prove it.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I've liked him from the beginning and hope he and the team continue to improve. I think he's exactly the kind of coach this league needs. He's not in love with talentless grinders, he doesn't put young players in a position to fail, and he's not an overly conservative coach, which makes him anathema to a vast majority of the pro ranks. I've said before I'm not 100% he's The Guy that'll make this team a contender, but he deserves the chance to prove it.
Agree 100%. Always liked him and still do. I was glad they gave him another chance after that awful season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->