Japanese goalie signs with NWHL NY Riveters

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/j...-fujimoto-signs-with-nwhls-new-york-riveters/

Before the camp began, Fujimoto had said she believed she had the opportunity to become a role model for young players in Japan were she to make it to the NWHL and continue to develop her skills. Following her signing, she reiterated just how much her presence in the women’s pro league could help hockey grow in Japan.

Quite a challenge, to be a role model for an entire country.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
A legend in Cincinnati hockey lore, Kevin Gadker aka "Heckler from Hell" used to deliver obscenities at former Reading goalie Yutaka Fukufuji in Japanese. It was a hoot:laugh:

R.I.P. Kevin.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Win win situation, great to spread the game, add some diversity and bring international attention to the league. Gives her a platform, a challenge and a job. Don't see any downside at all.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I suspect that beyond some of the Northeast NCAA juniors that will be drafted, I suspect this will be the type of players the NWHL will get. I doubt you will see too many, if any at all, Canadian players jumping to this. As well, I don't think the top American will jump.

I know a couple Boston Blades have jumped, but it wasn't like Hillary Knight switched sides. I truly believe that despite its paltry pay, the NWHL will be AAA women's hockey compared to the CWHL. But I am all for seeing development of other countries, so that it isn't always Canada/US in nearly every final. So if it means that this league will be full of Europeans and Asians, that's ok too. It will help development.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I'm shocked there ate pro leagues of women. We see how costly it is in the minors just to fail. I'm surprised anyone is burning that on women. Just didn't think there was any real demand from a spectating point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad