News Article: January 16

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins lose to Providence in scrimmage, 7-5
Tuukka Rask gave up six goals on 24 shots. Max Sauve scored two goals for Providence. Rask was the victim of several unlucky bounces. But he also saw some pucks go through that he should have turned back.

“I think it was sloppy throughout for all of us,†Rask said. “We’d rather take it now than Saturday, right?â€

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2013/01/bruins_lose_to_1.html

Bruins need presence from David Krejci’s line
One of the more significant questions for the Bruins is how quickly Lucic and linemates David Krejci and Nathan Horton can gain traction in the 48-game season.

Management and the coaching staff can project, within reason, how the three other lines will perform. Patrice Bergeron’s threesome will be a two-way threat. Chris Kelly and his wingmen will provide scoring depth and be defensively responsible. The fourth line will skate hard, bang, and give teammates a jolt.

The variances in Krejci’s line, however, swing more wildly.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey...krejci-line/LNNgfG0KzyfR8wxm7ehHpM/story.html

Bruins sloppy in defeat .
The Bruins’ lone scrimmage of this abbreviated preseason was not what coach Claude Julien was hoping for. But all things considered, it probably wasn’t much more than what could have been expected.

With three days of practice under their belts after being apart for eight months, Julien’s charges dropped a sloppy, disjointed 7-5 decision to the organization’s top farm club from Providence last night, with both of the Bruins’ top goalies, Tuukka Rask and Anton Khudobin, having rough nights.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/2013/01/bruins_sloppy_defeat

Fans embrace chance to finally see hockey
If B’s fans were bitter about losing more than three months of the season to a labor dispute, they certainly weren’t showing it.

“I guess it’s kind of sad, but we’re so excited,†said Kimberleigh O’Connell, 19, of Weymouth. “Especially now at the height of football season, it’s almost over, so it’s nice to have hockey back.â€

http://bostonherald.com/sports/brui...013/01/fans_embrace_chance_finally_see_hockey

Brad Marchand not just pest
The rise of Brad Marchand has been nothing short of meteoric.

It may be hard to believe, but it was only two years ago this month that Marchand, then a rookie, moved from the fourth line to the second line with Patrice Bergeron and Mark Recchi, which now, with budding star Tyler Seguin replacing Recchi, can easily be called the Bruins’ first line.

After being a big contributor in the B’s Stanley Cup run (11-8-19 totals in 25 playoff games), Marchand earned a two-year, $5 million extension in his summer of restricted free agency.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/boston_bruins/2013/01/brad_marchand_not_just_pest

Boston Bruins winger Brad Marchand doesn’t want to get left behind
The Bruins’ talented, entertaining, irritating (to opponents) left wing didn’t play during the lockout, although he considered it plenty of times.

“I could have played in Switzerland, or for a few teams in Russia, and in a couple other places,†Marchand said. “There were a couple times I seriously considered going over. But I figured I’d try to wait it out.

“It was one of those things where I thought ‘I’ll give it a couple more weeks. If nothing happens, I’ll go.’ Then it would look like something was going to happen, so I’d say ‘OK, I’ll give it a couplemore weeks.’â€

http://www.patriotledger.com/sports...Brad-Marchand-doesn-t-want-to-get-left-behind

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Good to hear Horton is looking good. Fluto is right on target though...that line is the key as we know we will get production from the Bergeron line and DK is likely in game shape....but Lucic and Horton will be rusty....Horton especially.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
NHL returns, but TV viewers may come back slower
Including cable partner NBC Sports Network, the NBC Sports Group will air 70 regular-season games.

The payoff to the company's commitment to the sport will hinge on whether fans flock back — and if so, how quickly. Appealing playoff matchups would help in that regard.

"We know going into this that an all-Canadian Stanley Cup final would be different than a Boston Bruins-Chicago Blackhawks Stanley Cup final," Flood said. "That's just the basics of market size."

The Bruins' Game 7 victory in 2011 earned the highest rating for an NHL game in 37 years — and that was, in fact, against a Canadian team in the Vancouver Canucks. That followed strong numbers for finals involving the Red Wings, Penguins, Flyers and Blackhawks.

"You're only as good as the matchups and the quality of play on the ice," Flood said.

http://bostonherald.com/business/me...nhl_returns_tv_viewers_may_come_back_slower_0

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I am pretty sure the NHL executives are crossing their fingers that two very large market teams end up in the cup final this year.

I like the fact that Marchand is trying to improve his game. I think his agitator ways are part of his game and make him better, but he has the ability to be more than a rat, and its nice that Julien sees that and Marchand is responding to it.

I think it is probably going to take longer than any fans hopes for Lucic and Horton to find their games, and the bad thing with the lock out is that neither has enough pre-season time to get there. They are going to be playing games when they likely aren't quite ready for it.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I am pretty sure the NHL executives are crossing their fingers that two very large market teams end up in the cup final this year.

I like the fact that Marchand is trying to improve his game. I think his agitator ways are part of his game and make him better, but he has the ability to be more than a rat, and its nice that Julien sees that and Marchand is responding to it.

I think it is probably going to take longer than any fans hopes for Lucic and Horton to find their games, and the bad thing with the lock out is that neither has enough pre-season time to get there. They are going to be playing games when they likely aren't quite ready for it.

Good point. They're going to be tearing their hair out if it's Tampa Bay vs. Phoenix. :laugh:

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I think NBC would rather have two Canadian teams in the final than Tampa and Phoenix.

NBC and the NHL are going to want to feature games and have a playoff that has large market draw. Small market teams are going to make it harder for the network to get TV fans to watch. Good news for NBC is that at least the end of the lockout coincides with the end of football season (or at least close enough).

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I am telling you, NBC and the NHL are hoping for original six or at least large market teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad