Player Discussion Mark Jankowski, Still Not Best of his Draft; Better than Yakupov

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I had him at 1.9; good cap hit. Guy still has a lot to prove before you start passing out the cash.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
giphy.gif

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I havent been able to watch Flames as much as I'd wanted this season, but Jankowski seems to be doing ok if I'm only stat watching. 3 short-handed goals already, on pace for 11+18. Solid defensive middle6 C for the next few years at least? Actually the games I have watched Jankowski hasnt been anything special but like I said, I've seen only few games and I was kinda surprised about his stats.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
He seems to bring his best against larger teams...It'd honestly be nice to have another Janko on the roster.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Janko still has yet to pop. He's going to be our next Mikael Backlund, or better.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
He's improved defensively, and has more confidence in his game since early November. I really want him stapled in as our third line C. 6th among forwards in points, but is playing 11 minutes on average.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He has more to give offensively. Got a hell of a shot but it only ever comes off in shorthanded situations when he has ample time and space.

At 5-on-5, his line struggles to create chances. He's still yet to show the playmaking ability that he was well known for as a prospect

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Anyone remember watching Jankowski in college, waiting for him to wake up before he finally went PPG in his senior year? Patience is key with this kid

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Excellent shot, decent size, small wheels but a jolly player. Happy to have him on our team. Great guy

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
He still isn't a great 5 on 5 player IMO. His PK play has been A+ though and is really nice to see, but 5 on 5 he doesn't generate much. His shot is really good, but he doesn't shoot enough and can't set up Neal either (because he isn't that good). Was hoping he'd make strides this year over last year, but I ain't seeing it 5 on 5. Still patient with him unlike older players (like Neal), but hoping to see more from him 5 on 5.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He still isn't a great 5 on 5 player IMO. His PK play has been A+ though and is really nice to see, but 5 on 5 he doesn't generate much. His shot is really good, but he doesn't shoot enough and can't set up Neal either (because he isn't that good). Was hoping he'd make strides this year over last year, but I ain't seeing it 5 on 5. Still patient with him unlike older players (like Neal), but hoping to see more from him 5 on 5.

Honestly, looking at that draft, and minus the complete blunder of not just getting the BPA in Teuvo Teravainen when they had the chance; if Calgary can get a cheap bottom 6 guy, who can chip in for 30 points a season, be tough to play against (even if he doesn't score, he owns the puck) and PK... That's a win; and a big one.

I don't think he's a finished product, but he's close to finished at this time. He's never going to be the best player in his draft, but he'll be a dependable NHL'er for the next 7-10 years. That's a nice find if Calgary keeps him long term.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Good enough. I still think he needs a coach teaching him how to turn in under half the ice surface, but he's solid enough and he's still young.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
He has more to give offensively. Got a hell of a shot but it only ever comes off in shorthanded situations when he has ample time and space.

At 5-on-5, his line struggles to create chances. He's still yet to show the playmaking ability that he was well known for as a prospect
Same issue it looks like he's always had; he doesn't seem to think quite fast enough. Good passer, good shooter, but he generally doesn't create a lot of space or find it in tight areas. Reminds me a lot of Joe Colborne in that sense. At least Janko is a good PKer, though. Colborne was just a weak-ass low end scoring forward.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Same issue it looks like he's always had; he doesn't seem to think quite fast enough. Good passer, good shooter, but he generally doesn't create a lot of space or find it in tight areas. Reminds me a lot of Joe Colborne in that sense. At least Janko is a good PKer, though. Colborne was just a weak-ass low end scoring forward.

Filthy hands though. If we still had Colborne we would never lose a shootout again :D

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Jankowski slowly becoming one of the best PKers on the team, and soon to be recognized in the league. Only a matter of time before we see this guy really take it off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->