Confirmed with Link: Jani Hakanpaa to Dallas Stars (3 years, 1.5M AAV)

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Ridiculously cheap. Jani should fire his agent. One more year of solid D and he could've looked for Chiarot/Ceci type money.

Welp, great get anyways. Nice.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I thought it was weird that he was going to mull over his decision and wouldn't sign on day 1. Most of the time after day 1 the money is all gone. I mean this guy got a lot less than Ceci and Poolman, that just doesn't make sense.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Ridiculously cheap. Jani should fire his agent. One more year of solid D and he could've looked for Chiarot/Ceci type money.

Welp, great get anyways. Nice.

He doesn't have a lot of leverage... he's played 62 NHL games over the last 3 years at 29 y/o with minimal production. If I were him I'd be happy with the term and the marginal increase in pay, plus Helsinki South.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He doesn't have a lot of leverage... he's played 62 NHL games over the last 3 years at 29 y/o with minimal production. If I were him I'd be happy with the term and the marginal increase in pay, plus Helsinki South.
He does not, that's why he should've made a 1 year deal if he wanted to maximize his income (Yes, that would be risky). But this is great for the Stars, obviously.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
No wonder I hadn't heard much about this guy before last year. That was basically his rookie campaign. Played in the AHL and 5 games for the ducks the year before.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I still think Harley ends the year in the Top 6, but it seems pretty likely he starts the year in Texas.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Really nice value for you guys. At the cap hit I would have expected a one year 'show me' deal to try and earn legit 4/5 type money next year.

I think Hawk is a pretty ideal bottom pairing RHD, especially given that puck moving LHD seem to take up the vast majority of #6/7/8 roles in the league. You'll get a strong, physical presence without the undisciplined running around. Keeps everything safe and simple with the puck. He spent a big chunk of the season playing top 4 and even top pairing minutes alongside Cam Fowler when the Ducks were struck by injuries, and handled it well. So whether you're looking to balance your pairings or run into injuries, this is a guy who can slide up and take on a bit more responsibility.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Really nice value for you guys. At the cap hit I would have expected a one year 'show me' deal to try and earn legit 4/5 type money next year.

I think Hawk is a pretty ideal bottom pairing RHD, especially given that puck moving LHD seem to take up the vast majority of #6/7/8 roles in the league. You'll get a strong, physical presence without the undisciplined running around. Keeps everything safe and simple with the puck. He spent a big chunk of the season playing top 4 and even top pairing minutes alongside Cam Fowler when the Ducks were struck by injuries, and handled it well. So whether you're looking to balance your pairings or run into injuries, this is a guy who can slide up and take on a bit more responsibility.

I noticed that he didn't put up too many points with the ducks, but seemed a lot more productive with the Canes. Is that just a fluke or did he start improving near the end of the season as he got more used to the NHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad