Jan Kovar

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
Mozyakin and Zaripov?

Or it can be a story about, that in the club, he is undisputed 1st line center playing with best wingers, when in NT, his role is significantly smaller.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
But his role in the NT also isn't that significant. I mean, he is not used that much. Or?

It is indeed similar. Mozyakin on the NT is just another scoring winger somewhere on the 3rd line behind guys like Kovalchuck and Radulov, not the big superstar he is in Magnitogorsk.

Kovar benefits big time from playing on a top line with such linemates.

In fact Zaripov is the driving force of the line, not Mozyakin. Mozyakin never was that great without a linemate like Zaripov.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Mozyakin was among the best players in the league when he played in Atlant and had no linemates comparable to Zaripov.

Mozyakin without Zaripov:

points per game: 1.12

Mozyakin with Zaripov:

points per game: 1.49

I think you get the idea. Being over a ppg player is great. To produce like he does now he needs a Zaripov. Believe me this line will fall apart without Zaripov. It won't without Mozyakin.

tohaa

Apr 23, 2012
Mozyakin without Zaripov:

points per game: 1.12

Mozyakin with Zaripov:

points per game: 1.49

I think you get the idea. Being over a ppg player is great. To produce like he does now he needs a Zaripov. Believe me this line will fall apart without Zaripov. It won't without Mozyakin.

Sure, but Mozyakin led the league in 08-09 and 09-10 when Jagr was in the league, as well as Zaripov and Radulov, etc.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Now I see that the line Mozyakin - Kovar - Zaripov is that good not just because of Russians. This Czech can play as well. Yeah, he kinda crapped the bed on that 1st goal vs Canada, but otherwise he's been very good the whole tournament.

He can play defense, he's good on FO and he isn't terrible playmaker as well.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
So he leads the playoffs in scoring, 25 points in 18 games. Why doesn't he play like this for Czech NT?

I have to find time to watch at least KHL playoff sometimes to see him play. He should be probably our first center in WHC. From what I saw him play on int. stage I always doubt his skating. He has a potential to be game changer but from what I remember he confirmed it only in 2015 quarterfinal against Finnland. guys like Cervenka ussually disappear when they face NA team, and its unfortunately also Kovar's case. I dont know whether he is well aware of his ceiling or he just isnt hungry enough to start from zero and battle for NHL. Russian mentality might fits him more but sad true is that there are not so many players in Europe generally who are able to outplay one of these better canadian teams in WHC. Overall quality of present czech players also plays role in it imo. If you are an average skater it wouldnt be that big issue on big ice when you have for example Martin Straka on wing...

I wish I am wrong but he is already 27 and time is flying. He will be very good in KHL for sure but even if he decides to go overseas and work on his weaknesses,I am afraid its too late for him to adapt his nice personality to more business oriented enviroment.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The answer is obviously Mozyakin. Undeniably Kovar is a great player in his own right but half of his offensive production has to be attributed to a great chemistry with Mozyakin. Both prefer slower paced game, both create space (albeit by different means), both take great advantage of each others tools. And really, thinking about Czech NT, who is a good fit to play with Kovar? I have hard time imagining him playing with Voracek for example.

About his NHL future, I think it's mostly about if he's willing to take a pay cut and can cope with wear and tear of NHL game. If he can, definitely a worthwhile 3rd line player.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
The answer is obviously Mozyakin. Undeniably Kovar is a great player in his own right but half of his offensive production has to be attributed to a great chemistry with Mozyakin. Both prefer slower paced game, both create space (albeit by different means), both take great advantage of each others tools. And really, thinking about Czech NT, who is a good fit to play with Kovar? I have hard time imagining him playing with Voracek for example.

About his NHL future, I think it's mostly about if he's willing to take a pay cut and can cope with wear and tear of NHL game. If he can, definitely a worthwhile 3rd line player.

I can somehow imagine Pastrnak-Kovar-Voracek line. Or guys like Radil, Vondrka around him. Still we talking about WHC. He wasn't chosen to World cup team, probably for reasons above...

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Kovar can play great hockey if he has enough ice-time and good skating wingers who can finish. I'm not so sure about JV, i'd rather see him to play with someone else.
Radil and Kubalik come to my mind, they seemed to have great chemistry at Karjala back in november.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad