Jan Bednar 107th Overall

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I am enthusiastic for this pick but I also wonder why they didn't take a goalie sooner in the draft.

They've had better luck drafting goalies earlier than this (bad luck drafting them this late) and they had multiple picks in several rounds before this.

It is kinda surprising he was still available, but I just think it gets into the conversation about whether they were slightly prioritizing size over skill after concluding that they didn't really feel confident enough in any other goalie who was a little more popular.

Anyway, let's see what he can do! Hopefully, he's the next Hasek.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotLeddy

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I am enthusiastic for this pick but I also wonder why they didn't take a goalie sooner in the draft.

They've had better luck drafting goalies earlier than this (bad luck drafting them this late) and they had multiple picks in several rounds before this.

It is kinda surprising he was still available, but I just think it gets into the conversation about whether they were slightly prioritizing size over skill after concluding that they didn't really feel confident enough in any other goalie who was a little more popular.

You can't draft goalies earlier when there are hardly any. This was considered a weak class for goalies outside Askarov, so they took one in the 4th.

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
You can't draft goalies earlier when there are hardly any. This was considered a weak class for goalies outside Askarov, so they took one in the 4th.
Well, there were a few guys who were more popular in the rankings, but not many (you're right).

In their defense, this guy I think could've been drafted just a little bit earlier, not much, but a little. So, he's maybe a little bit of a steal. However, supposing that might be true, then I wonder, if they were really targeting him instead of just seeing who was left over, why didn't they take him earlier? That gets into what I said and what I think you agree with, that they might not have been confident enough in the more popular goalies, albeit, as you pointed out, there weren't many.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oddbob

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
The feeling I get with Bednar from everything I've read is "all action, no direction", he has great size and athleticism but relies on them solely. Hopefully they can refine his technique and teach him good habits. Then we might have something. Worthwhile project.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I would have liked Daws, but I can understand why they liked the skaters better where he was projected to go.

Reactions: DetroitRed

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The feeling I get with Bednar from everything I've read is "all action, no direction", he has great size and athleticism but relies on them solely. Hopefully they can refine his technique and teach him good habits. Then we might have something. Worthwhile project.

Sound nothing but good, that he has all the tools, but takes some yyears to build the technique. That's how goalie prospects should always be.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I would have liked Daws, but I can understand why they liked the skaters better where he was projected to go.

Daws was a draft prospect I was looking at too!

My initial impression was that Bednar was drafted about where he should have been. That was just according to average popular rankings, but I think Stevie said about the same thing in the post-draft interview (he said he was taken about where he should have been). But, I also thought one or two of the skaters they drafted in Round Three and earlier in Round Four were reaches.

Considering the whole thing again, I think that despite his ranking, he's a guy who I would expect interested teams to reach for rather than wait around on because of his size and athleticism. So, I still kinda feel that if this is the guy you are targeting, then you reach for him and wait around on one of the skaters I alluded to, instead. However, if they were targeting him, then I guess it worked out anyway.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands

I feel sorry for Jan... A 5.26 GAA and a .844 save percentage. His statistics have been regressing every year...

He needs to get confidence...

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI

I feel sorry for Jan... A 5.26 GAA and a .844 save percentage. His statistics have been regressing every year...

He needs to get confidence...

To be honest, the 1st 3 Goals he literally had no chance... 4th one was off a tough rebound... 5th one was a rough one shortside with like 5 sec left in the period, his confidence in the game was shot by that time.

Young Goalies will have their ups and downs... Not worried

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Daws was a draft prospect I was looking at too!

My initial impression was that Bednar was drafted about where he should have been. That was just according to average popular rankings, but I think Stevie said about the same thing in the post-draft interview (he said he was taken about where he should have been). But, I also thought one or two of the skaters they drafted in Round Three and earlier in Round Four were reaches.

Considering the whole thing again, I think that despite his ranking, he's a guy who I would expect interested teams to reach for rather than wait around on because of his size and athleticism. So, I still kinda feel that if this is the guy you are targeting, then you reach for him and wait around on one of the skaters I alluded to, instead. However, if they were targeting him, then I guess it worked out anyway.

I thought Hanas was a little bit higher than I would have liked, but I had him on my list
Not a big fan of Viro, but 70 seemed right for him.
The two that surprised me were Sebrango and Stange.
I never once entertained the idea of either guy anywhere in the draft - though I look forward to finding out I was wrong.
I would have gladly drafted Daws in front of Sebrango and still drafted Bednar at 107.
Truth is, though, I had bigger fish to catch that Sebrango or Daws.

Reactions: DetroitRed

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I have serious questions about his athleticism and have heard that from a few scouts. I think he has figured things out his positional issues and that is why he came on as an overage guy. However, I wonder if he can be anything more than a backup when I watch his movement. Certainly goalies have a long development runway, but happy to have Bednar. I thought he was a top 5 goalie in this year's draft and didn't have Daws in that picture personally.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I thought Hanas was a little bit higher than I would have liked, but I had him on my list
Not a big fan of Viro, but 70 seemed right for him.
The two that surprised me were Sebrango and Stange.
I never once entertained the idea of either guy anywhere in the draft - though I look forward to finding out I was wrong.
I would have gladly drafted Daws in front of Sebrango and still drafted Bednar at 107.
Truth is, though, I had bigger fish to catch that Sebrango or Daws.

Sebrango has played a bunch with Canada internationally, was pretty highly touted for the OHL draft and slipped because he was NCAA committed, and was generally ranked top 85ish in pre draft rankings.

If you didnt entertain the idea of drafting him, when the wings had that many picks, its more of a you issue than an issue with the wings drafting. Like you really didnt think they could've picked him wit a 5th or 6th rounder?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Sebrango has played a bunch with Canada internationally, was pretty highly touted for the OHL draft and slipped because he was NCAA committed, and was generally ranked top 85ish in pre draft rankings.

If you didnt entertain the idea of drafting him, when the wings had that many picks, its more of a you issue than an issue with the wings drafting. Like you really didnt think they could've picked him wit a 5th or 6th rounder?

Maybe you're right.
But I'm still not high on him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Maybe you're right.
But I'm still not high on him.

To me not being high on him is fine but the way you said you didnt even entertain the idea of drafting him seems very over the top. Guys as highly touted as him coming into the OHL and then playing internationally for Canada always get drafted. Now hes even invited to Canada camp as a oyunger guy with a pretty stacked D corps there

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
To me not being high on him is fine but the way you said you didnt even entertain the idea of drafting him seems very over the top. Guys as highly touted as him coming into the OHL and then playing internationally for Canada always get drafted. Now hes even invited to Canada camp as a oyunger guy with a pretty stacked D corps there

Over the top?
I had a draft list 100 players deep. Sebrango wasn't on it. Wasn't even considered. Stats didn't stand out. None of the scouting guys I read were high on him.
Upon the draft, i went back and re-read the guides I have and I'm still not sold on that pick.
No Big deal. It's one guy's opinion.
D+1 seasons have changed my opinion in the past.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Well he is doing a bit better now, he is a 3.88 GAA , 0.892 SV% goalie in the QMJHL playing for Acadie who should be a top team this year

Seems to me that he is looong term project

Reactions: bedtime20

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
He is definately improving this year, he is a 2.97 GAA, 0,902 SV% goalie. Still needs to be more confident in net.

Fun fact, a year before the 2020 draft, people had him going 1st round after a really good season playing in the Czech men's league.

Reactions: Ratatoskr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad