GDT: Jan 26 2019 | NHL All-Star Game (aka players we wish the Oilers had playing against each other)

Who will get another NHL job first?

• Total voters

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Central division against Gibson 7 goals in 10 minutes
Central division against everyone else 6 goals in 30 minutes

Reactions: Aerrol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pacific looks like the best on paper easily IMO.

This post sure didn't age well.

My take is the Pacific clubs generally milk so much out of their top players that there is virtually nothing else left. McDrai looked dead out there as did everybody else. Doughty, Burns, Petersson Gaudreau etc had nothing in this game.

I think the combo of Gaudrea, Petersson, Keller, the pacific team representing here was uncharacteristically small.

I will say that theres times like this where Sidney Crosby continues to look like the best player in hockey and just owning in the ASG. This game is watched by a ton of people that barely watch hockey otherwise and the takeaway from this game would be Crosby being the best player and Letang being the best D with special mention of Karlsson.

The Metro team looked strong to me on paper as did the Atlantic.

The Western Conference teams had a very poor showing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That puck and player tracking blows. Makes it look like I’m watching a video game. Newsflash: players have jerseys with names and numbers on them. I don’t need a ****ing name bar and arrow in the middle of the screen pointing to said player. The Foxtrax puck sucked then. Sucks now. This better be a user option because this ****ing blows. Looks more like it’s to help dumbass fans who can’t follow a black puck on white ice.

Multiple players on the same teams had the same numbers. The names made it easier for non typical fans to follow. The puck tracker, the wife quite enjoyed that and she said it gave an element to the game that you can miss a little otherwise. I tend to agree I didn't hate it. It wasn't like Foxes old multi colored rainbow tracker. With this one it was non intrusive and it was interesting when players were controlling the puck you get more feedbuck on what they are doing with the puck.

I used to feel like you, I'm a purist so stuff like this always seems like a gimmick but its about the NHL growing its game and getting some more fans.

btw Shaw viewers will have the special user option of not having to see the puck tracker. Instead they will see flickering images, stream distortion and stop frames and complete screen blackouts..

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You could spot Daddy Johnny out of a police lineup.. Spittin image except nose looks 3 times larger. holy crap that things a monster. Looks like lil Johnny could actually possibly look worse. Imagine if he was crying all the time with a nose like that. Would be like a snot spewing fire hydrant.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Pacific looked completely disorganized and had no idea what pace they should play at, being the first game. Obviously it was less effort than the other teams put in, including especially the goaltending.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Wonder how many Stanley Cup rings got swiped from laptop cases this weekend at the local nightclubs.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Wow that was a real boring game. 3 on 3 ruined it.

Don't think I will watch next year (watched half of this one)

3x3 for 5 minutes in a regular season game is great. 3x3 for 20 minutes in an ASG is really bad. This is just a gimmick and it will eventually die out.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wow that was a real boring game. 3 on 3 ruined it.

Don't think I will watch next year (watched half of this one)

Yeah, watching more than 5mins of this and it starts getting real old. To have 3 games of it and spread across 3hrs (and they milked every last minute of that with copious advertising and fluff. No reason they couldn't get all this done in a 2hr window. Each minigame is only 2omins, have 15 min breaks to do the ice and get the next game on. The pacing of this way too slow. I swear there was 45mins of nothing going on from the East game to the Final game.

3 on 3 is helpful only as a way to decide a tie in regular season. I could do without it there too but it has its advantage. As an ASG format as soon as one team gets a 2 goal lead its pretty much over. the other team starts cheating and when you do that 3 on 3 its fatal, more goals in back of your net. For instance the Pacific game was realistically over at say 4-1. Which is to say minutes from its start. I tuned in and it was already 2-0 in the first minute.. Its a complete joke as a format to see so many goals and I think they're really trying to entice a basketball crowd and that's not going to happen. Two different demographics.

Its like the NHL is kind of ashamed to offer its typical around 6 goals per game product and just assumes non typical viewers will lose interest. So the NHL purposely flirts with these goal a minute formats in the hope of attracting an audience that would be attracted to this pablum. Who, if they have attention deficit, or expect a goal every minute they won't watch anyway.

Its always been the case that the ASG game and format is garbage noise but its nevre been more of a gimmick. At this point its hardly even hockey. Its like a halfcourt strange thing.

Reactions: Oilhawks

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
3x3 for 5 minutes in a regular season game is great. 3x3 for 20 minutes in an ASG is really bad. This is just a gimmick and it will eventually die out.
I liked it the first two years they did it but it was awful last night. At a lot of times it just looked like a game of keep away to kill the clock.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Why can't they try 4x4 for a couple years. Get a few more regular "plugs" who would have hardest shot, fastest skater, etc. to come along.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
More proof they need to just scrap these all-star games is happening at the Pro Bowl right now. I’ve only been watching for the last fifteen minutes or so but it looks like a cross between two hand touch and flag football. I haven’t watched a Pro Bowl in years so I don’t know how long it’s taken to devolve into this but it’s unwatchable. The players don’t care about this. Stop having them do it.
If the players want to get together and shoot the shirt with each other then throw them a banquet. That would have just as much to do with their sport than the game does now.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
The funniest thing is some of the posters that wanted Leon and Connor to skip this event in order to "get some rest"
LOL
As if this event required any physical exertion....like f**ks sake, heaven forbid hanging with all stars, and scootin around half assed while giggling is going to break you down.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
"They're TIRED!!!!
THey need REST!, you expect them to play a FuN gAmE??????"
SpanishGloriousHorse-size_restricted.gif

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
The funniest thing is some of the posters that wanted Leon and Connor to skip this event in order to "get some rest"
LOL
As if this event required any physical exertion....like f**ks sake, heaven forbid hanging with all stars, and scootin around half assed while giggling is going to break you down.

I thought they meant they would rather have them at home resting instead of travelling

Reactions: LaGu

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
you think the others are at home relaxing?

I'm pretty sure they are doing everything other than being at home and resting.
True, but other players aren't playing 57 minutes a game. I don't care either way, I'm just trying to assume what the rationale would be for those advocating for a rest

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Eakins to get a job first as PC is making a lot of money to do nothing and no one is giving him a GM job anytime soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad