Injury Report: Jan. 12/13: Braydon Coburn (reported as foot injury), could miss 4 weeks

R3M1N1SC3

Feb 19, 2012
To me, if I am Hextall I am trying to trade him to a contender making a push who would be willing to give up there late 1st round pick.

Now, if you are that team I am not so sure about giving that for a defensemen coming off an injury who is (probably) having his worst season as a Flyer.

The question is can we get a first for him? Or, is it actually worth settling for the 2nd round pick?

AFTeRMaTH*

Trade him right when he gets back. Also trade MacDonald if possible. Grossmann as well. Hell I wouldn't even mind trading Streit because he will be ready to retire when this team is ready to compete seriously. Sign Schultz, MDZ, and 2/3 more Schultz types like Cola and call up Hagg and Alt towards the end of the season. Stink it up this year and the next and then we should be solid.

AFTeRMaTH*

I think Streit deserves the chance to play for a contender. Maybe the Red Wings? Smart GMs trade players while their value is high and plan for the future. I love Streit but he will be no good when we are serious playoff contenders... Plus we could get some good assets for him.

RJ8812*

I would hold onto Streit unless there's a team that gives us an offer we can't refuse. He's our only real good puck mover, so it wouldn't be smart to move him until the young guys are ready.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I agree. Even if Ghost makes the team out of camp next year, he should start out running the 2nd PP unit, not the 1st.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I would hold onto Streit unless there's a team that gives us an offer we can't refuse. He's our only real good puck mover, so it wouldn't be smart to move him until the young guys are ready.

I agree with this sentiment.

Think about PP1 with MacDonald on the point. That's something I'd like to avoid at all costs.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Gostisbehere will be 22 this spring so even with the set back it will be pretty disappointing if he can't nail down a roster spot at some point next year assuming there's no more set backs health wise

He's probably our best bet out of the defensemen to make Streit expandable (Morin & Hagg don't really factor in since they play different roles).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
22 is when Keith made the NHL but he played 170 AHL games first. I think Ghost will start off with the Phantoms next season and get promoted at some stage. Same with Morin.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
22 is when Keith made the NHL but he played 170 AHL games first. I think Ghost will start off with the Phantoms next season and get promoted at some stage. Same with Morin.

Keith left college to play in the WHL in his first year after being drafted then played his second & third years after being drafted in the AHL that's why he played so many games. Keith was also drafted in his first year of eligibility unlike Gostisbehere who was drafted in his second year of eligibility.

Gostisbehere's old & mature enough to likely not need much AHL time before making the NHL. My guess is that he finishes this year out in the AHL & possibly plays a quarter of the season at the start of next year so that will probably be around 50 some AHL games. Most guys fitting his profile don't really spend much time in the AHL.

Last edited:

RJ8812*

Gostisbehere will be 22 this spring so even with the set back it will be pretty disappointing if he can't nail down a roster spot at some point next year assuming there's no more set backs health wise

He's probably our best bet out of the defensemen to make Streit expandable (Morin & Hagg don't really factor in since they play different roles).

With the setback, I don't see him starting on the Flyers next season, and there's no problem with that. I don't think there will be more than 1 rookie on the blueline next year at the beginning (if everyone is healthy) and I think that will be Alt.

I think we'll see Gostisbehere at some point during the 2nd half of next season

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
With the setback, I don't see him starting on the Flyers next season, and there's no problem with that. I don't think there will be more than 1 rookie on the blueline next year at the beginning (if everyone is healthy) and I think that will be Alt.

I think we'll see Gostisbehere at some point during the 2nd half of next season

You never know but I'm not really expecting it with Hextall at the helm. Gostisbehere would really have to go above & beyond from the time he comes back from his injury until the end of next camp to make the club right away.

If he's not up playing by the quarter mark next year though it will be pretty disappointing given his age. He should get enough games in by that time to prove himself so either he's underperforming or Hextall's being way too conservative if he's not up by then.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If the Phantoms go on a Calder Cup run it will make up for the time missed though...

:D

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If the Phantoms go on a Calder Cup run it will make up for the time missed though...

:D

I think they could make a little noise if they finally get their roster back to full strength. They also may get some late additions from the CHL guys who could potentially help in some way.

They've managed pretty well despite having guys leave the lineup for various reasons.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I think our Defence looks better without Coburn and Grossmann. For now and the future.
If Coburn isn't injured he could fetch us a 1st at the the deadline.

Macdonald - Streit (When the both are on there game this is a decent pairing)
Del Zotto - Schultz (Both have speed, one has skill the other is sound defensively;both physical.
Coliacovo/Manning-Schenn (Coliacovo has proved he's still a good d man and can handle the 3rd pairing well
And even manning has shown he can dominate in the AHL so for 3rd pairing it's not bad. Schenn's game has been good of late. If he maintains that this is fine.)

NEXT SEASON:

Morin-Streit
Del Zotto - Macdonald
Gostisbehere - Schultz
Schenn (Try and move him if the top 6 beat him out. You could get a 1st too for L. Schenn too I believe.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The chances of Manning being a regular defensemen in the NHL at this point is slim to none. He's 24 playing in his fourth year in the AHL & despite the Flyers regularly employing one of the worst defenses in the league during that time frame he hasn't sniffed much NHL time unless there was a rash of injuries. The time he did get there was really not much to indicate there might be something there.

He's not really good defensively at AHL level & his offense likely won't translate to the NHL level. His skating also isn't NHL caliber.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm so excited to see Ghost come back, it'll give me a reason to watch Phantoms games again. I'd love for them to extend their season long enough to get some CHL guys playing a bit.

Manning is kinda like the defensemen version of Vandevelde. He'll never be a consistent NHL player because he's not above average offensively, not above average defensively, not a great skater, and they're not even tough like a Rinaldo type guy. They're just so boring and forgettable. Neither have a spot on the roster of a contender.

RJ8812*

I think our Defence looks better without Coburn and Grossmann. For now and the future.
If Coburn isn't injured he could fetch us a 1st at the the deadline.

Macdonald - Streit (When the both are on there game this is a decent pairing)
Del Zotto - Schultz (Both have speed, one has skill the other is sound defensively;both physical.
Coliacovo/Manning-Schenn (Coliacovo has proved he's still a good d man and can handle the 3rd pairing well
And even manning has shown he can dominate in the AHL so for 3rd pairing it's not bad. Schenn's game has been good of late. If he maintains that this is fine.)

NEXT SEASON:

Morin-Streit
Del Zotto - Macdonald
Gostisbehere - Schultz
Schenn (Try and move him if the top 6 beat him out. You could get a 1st too for L. Schenn too I believe.

Highly doubt that they call-up Manning after the deadline. They already know what they're getting from him and he's not an NHL defenseman. You'll see Alt or even Gostisbehere instead

SchennSational1022*

How will it be dissappointing for a 22 year old defensemen, one year removed fr NCAA and 7-8 months removed from an ACL tear to not make his NHL team? Absolute nonsense.

Also i doubt Alt ever even turns into a bottom pairing defensemen. He is just not that good at anything.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Highly doubt that they call-up Manning after the deadline. They already know what they're getting from him and he's not an NHL defenseman. You'll see Alt or even Gostisbehere instead

I think if they need a #7 after the deadline who won't play unless it's an emergency they might call up Lauridsen.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
How will it be dissappointing for a 22 year old defensemen, one year removed fr NCAA and 7-8 months removed from an ACL tear to not make his NHL team? Absolute nonsense.

Most highly touted defensemen who spend that much time in the NCAA typically don't play that long in the AHL if they don't bypass it altogether. The ACL injury shouldn't be a problem since he'll have enough time to recover & get games in.

He wasn't that far off from playing in the NHL this year (probably would have if Hextall wasn't the GM) so yes it would be disappointing if he isn't in the NHL at some point next year.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Most highly touted defensemen who spend that much time in the NCAA typically don't play that long in the AHL if they don't bypass it altogether. The ACL injury shouldn't be a problem since he'll have enough time to recover & get games in.

He wasn't that far off from playing in the NHL this year (probably would have if Hextall wasn't the GM) so yes it would be disappointing if he isn't in the NHL at some point next year.

I think Gostisbehere is a full time NHL player by next year's trade deadline. I think that's when they're finally able to move Schenn and Grossmann to open up a permanent spot for him.

Imo, the only young guy with a good shot of making the roster out of camp next year is Morin. Ghost not making it is a combination of losing half a season of development and there not being any spots open because no one wants Grossmann, Schenn or MacDonald.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think Gostisbehere is a full time NHL player by next year's trade deadline. I think that's when they're finally able to move Schenn and Grossmann to open up a permanent spot for him.

Imo, the only young guy with a good shot of making the roster out of camp next year is Morin. Ghost not making it is a combination of losing half a season of development and there not being any spots open because no one wants Grossmann, Schenn or MacDonald.

It really depends what they do with Coburn, Del Zotto, & Schultz from now until the start of camp in regards to spots. Del Zotto & Schultz we should have a good idea with by the deadline. Coburn could still be moved in the offseason so we might have to wait on that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad