Jamie McGinn & Steve Downie

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Hi Guys,

Just simply wondering if you guys think that one of these guys are expendable or if you envision one of them not coming back after this season.

cheers

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
You never know of course. Downie is a pending UFA and he has to want to come back. McGinn is a RFA so he's easier to re-sign.

I do think these two provide some sandpaper to the team in addition to some offensive skill. They complement the speed/playmaking of Duchene/MacKinnon and Parenteau/Tanguay. I would think Roy would like to have them back.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Neither is probably available at this moment for anything short of an overpayment. I think the Avs lock up Downie before the deadline and McGinn is a RFA so there is more time.

Now if a deal was offered that brought back a 2/3 defensemen, the Avs would have to think about it. Something around a Gorges for McGinn deal, while not fair value and would have to be evened up, would get the Avs thinking.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
It sure is going to be tough locking up all these forwards in the long run, I could see Downie or Stastny being the odd man out. I see Downie getting at least a Jones type contract 4x4.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It sure is going to be tough locking up all these forwards in the long run, I could see Downie or Stastny being the odd man out. I see Downie getting at least a Jones type contract 4x4.

I don't think in the short-term (next ~2 years) it will be hard, it will be more difficult when MacKinnon is a RFA and Tangs and PAP are UFAs.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
I don't think in the short-term (next ~2 years) it will be hard, it will be more difficult when MacKinnon is a RFA and Tangs and PAP are UFAs.

I don't know that we keep Tangs past his current contract, that's when we have to roll in younger/cheaper talent (Sgarbossa or Hishon) to keep the core intact.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I want Downie on this team forever. His teammates love him.

They played a feature on the jumbotron last night where they asked the players what player on the Avs they would hate playing against and a good chunk of them said Downie because he's nuts.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
If Downie can't be extended by the deadline and the Avs aren't in a playoff hunt, he will be traded for a King's ransom. Players like Downie, as impending UFAs at the right age, will be worth their weight in gold to a contender.

I'd imagine Ginner wouldn't be moved short of an attractive overpayment.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't know that we keep Tangs past his current contract, that's when we have to roll in younger/cheaper talent (Sgarbossa or Hishon) to keep the core intact.

I would agree, and by that time he might be useless as a player. MacKinnon will be the big hurt. He could go from a 3.775 cap hit to a 7+ quite easily.

If anybody will be the sacrificial limb this year I think it will be Stastny and only because he will have the choice to stay or go. He isn't dumb and can see the writing on the wall that MacKinnon will take at least the #2C spot going forward relegating him to the 3rd line. Stastny has to decide if being on the 3rd scoring line will be sufficient for him.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
If Downie can't be extended by the deadline and the Avs aren't in a playoff hunt, he will be traded for a King's ransom. Players like Downie, as impending UFAs at the right age, will be worth their weight in gold to a contender.

So we trade him for a windfall, then sign him as a UFA- excellent idea.

The other scenario is that we'll be in the playoffs and not trading guys like Downie.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
If Downie can be signed for a reasonable deal, he stays. If he plays well and looks like he could get a 4-5 million dollar deal, he probably goes.

McGinn stays if Downie goes, no question, but if Downie gets extended, decent odds of McGinn being traded in a package for a D man.

Between them, Downie is the more physical of the two, which probably gives him an edge over McGinn in staying with the Avs long term.

The 3rd alternative is if Stastny or O'Reilly are traded, the odds of Downie and McGinn both staying are very good. There are not really any players in the system that are projecting to jump into the top 3 lines for sure next year, so the Avs are not in any rush to shake up the depth on the wings. The only guys that MIGHT jump into the top 3 lines are both centers in Malone and Heard, and odds are those to guys both compete for the 4th line spot more than the 3rd line.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
I could see McGinn being moved in a package along with Stastny and a draft pick or two for a defenseman. Downie is a player who the Avs need to keep. He is a talented gritty winger. A bit crazy too but in all the right ways.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
The problem with Downie is that if he has a great season he could easily demand 5mil, or even more if he hits UFA. Let's hope he is really happy playing with #9(0) and he'll stay.

But TPS said it very well. If we're out of PO's, he's gone. If were in, we'll do everything to get him back and rather have that run despite possibly losing him to FA.

DrurySakic, let's hope Sgarby will be there then.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Tough to say. The only thing I'm sure of, is that the team will be very different next year. Whether those guys are expendable depends on what moves we make.

I am pretty confident that if a GM inquired about them today, Roy/Sakic would ask for the moon.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
What I love about Downie is he can be mean, nasty and still play like he belongs on a scoring line. He really does remind me of a crazy version of Pepe. We really haven't had that kind of player in a long time. I really hope he can stay healthy and enjoy a lot of success with the AVs.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I know we have a lot of offensive power right now, but I think trading both Stastny and Downie/Mcginn in one move, even for a great d-man would be hard to take for our depth right now, or even 8 months from now. With Tanguay not exactly being a spring chicken either. So Tanguay/Stastny/Mcginn being gone in a fairly short period. eek

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
It would be tough for me to swallow moving either of these guys. They both serve an important roll for this team in their own way. If I could only keep one though I'd keep Downie.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
The Avalanche are pretty weak at wing depth and no one to really step in if we lose both. I can live with losing one if it meant a D-man coming in but I would hate to see both gone.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The Avalanche are pretty weak at wing depth and no one to really step in if we lose both. I can live with losing one if it meant a D-man coming in but I would hate to see both gone.

Hello, welcome to the Colorado Avalanche forum.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I would understand if Downie isn't settling for less than what David Clarkson got. Twice the player, younger and have a better record over his career.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I would understand if Downie isn't settling for less than what David Clarkson got. Twice the player, younger and have a better record over his career.

Downie is a top line winger now it seems. that's a 5-6 million dollar position. Mackinnon will be 1B, he'll be up around Duchene numbers. Stastny will be gone one way or another unless he drops to 3~ million and goes to third line center.

I have no problem with Downie getting that much, I see him being a 60 point guy this year or more.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
What kind of raise does McGinn get? It's almost hard to believe he only makes $1.75mil now.

After one game, yes...but given his body of work last year that is what he deserves.

If he manages a 15-20 goal season with 20-30 assists and plays a decent sandpaper game, he could be anywhere in the 3-4 range depending on term. If he has a fantastic year with Mac, 25-30 goals COULD happen, but I doubt it.

3.5 x 4 years would not shock me if he has a decent year. (that 20 goal 20 assist type of year)

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com

I would give it a month to make sure Downie is 100% healthy and then work very hard to get a deal done during the season if I was the Avs. I imagine the price is .5-1mill cheaper if you can get him signed before Christmas.

McGinn at 3.5 x 4
Downie at 4 x 4

Get both guys under contracts that expire when none of the big guys currently on deals or that will be signing second contract deals should expire.

Downie and Clarkson may be comparables to a point, but Clarkson was coming off of a 30 goal season and a decent performance in the playoffs 2 years ago and a season that probably projected him to get close to 30 goals again in the short season. Downie has only broken the 20 goal mark once, and that was 3 years ago. Granted, Downie MIGHT break 30 this year if he plays a whole season with Duchene and O'Reilly, but that's why you sign him early in the season if at all possible.

At 4 million Downie would be tied with PA in terms of being the highest paid winger on the team. Could throw him a bone and put it at 4.1 if you want to make him the highest paid winger. (if you do not include O'Reilly as a winger, nothing certain there yet)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->