Value of: Jamie Benn at the TDL

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Contract and his skating will be a big detriment in dealing him but with some retention there will be teams who will consider. Probably be best for Stars to keep him and see if he can get it going again before selling at a lower return.

Edit after seeing his contract details as someone else mentioned his actual dollars are good after his next bonus but the cap hit will still be high. His value in a deal will be higher after start on next season contract wise.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Contract and his skating will be a big detriment in dealing him but with some retention there will be teams who will consider. Probably be best for Stars to keep him and see if he can get it going again before selling at a lower return.

Edit after seeing his contract details as someone else mentioned his actual dollars are good after his next bonus but the cap hit will still be high. His value in a deal will be higher after start on next season contract wise.

The only issue with him is his effort. His skating is fine

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'd be open to trading Benn, but this isn't something that happens at the deadline.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015

I really hope he turns it around because when he is on he is fire. I don't want to see him in another teams jersey but if it remains status quo then there is no other choice.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
If I'm the Stars GM and the Edmonton GM brings up Lucic, I hang up the phone. Plain and simple he is done and his contract will be very hard to trade, even to a place like Arizona because the team getting it doesn't get enough Cap AAV benefit. Aka, If it's so easy to trade Lucic and retain then you do it.

As far as the rest of the package for Benn, it's just not good enough for a player of his caliber. You are offering:

Lucic: Big minus
Poolparty: Bust
Bear: AHL Fodder
2019 2nd: Decent draft but still a 2nd
2020 1st: Too much of an unknown

If Edmonton wants Benn then they have to give up the 2019 1st. And it needs to start from there.
I would take Drai for Benn ;)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Is he not happy in Dallas then? We've all heard the comments from management is he even more tuned out now? He seems to be slower but if disinterested would explain it.

He's kinda always been like this for most of the seasons, while occasionally going into beast mode and racking up the points. This year we haven't seen the beast mode though yet, and it doesn't appear it'll happen. He cruises around the ice most of the game, turns the puck over every time he touches it, and relies on Radulov and Seguin to generate everything.

I honestly don't know what it is. I think he's happy, but I also think he's lazy and knows he gets paid either way so he just cruises around until the playoffs come.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Please find me one flaw in the proposal other than “lol it has Lucic in it”. Again, if Dallas were willing to retain 2 million on Benn, retaining 2 million of Lucic makes a LOT more sense

Ok fine...

Puljujarvi is a reclamation project, for all intents and purposes. Likely even heading towards Bust territory. He'd do nothing besides joining the line in our org.

Not interested in Ethan Bear/another defenseman who is likely to ride the pine.

Not interested in picks that our scouting unit screws up on consistently.

Reactions: Remember2004

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
He's kinda always been like this for most of the seasons, while occasionally going into beast mode and racking up the points. This year we haven't seen the beast mode though yet, and it doesn't appear it'll happen. He cruises around the ice most of the game, turns the puck over every time he touches it, and relies on Radulov and Seguin to generate everything.

I honestly don't know what it is. I think he's happy, but I also think he's lazy and knows he gets paid either way so he just cruises around until the playoffs come.

The saddest part about that, is his same lack of effort has indirectly caused Dallas to miss the playoffs for most of Benn's career. :laugh:

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
From a fan perspective that i have seen and heard (myself included) that his hustle is all but gone and hi leadership abilities are all but gone. Now this could just be because of the team he is on currently and it could/probably come back with a change of scenery. The linemates he is playing with are not benefiting from him anymore it seems and i feel that the writing is on the wall that he could be shipped out at some point either at the TDL or in the off-season.
There is exactly zero percent chance he is traded at the deadline.

Reactions: mouser

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

That's shitty that's his attitude now loved him as a player when watched him before would have loved him on Vancouver. However he doesn't look the same to me and well Stars management throwing him and Seguin under bus doesn't bode well either. Hope he gets it going as that's a long contract length shame really. Seguin and Benn together was the envy of a lot of fans even last year. Good luck with him and Stars too much talent there to be not doing better.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
I’ll play.

Lucic, Pulju, Bear, 2019 2nd, 2020 1st.

I know people will balk at Lucic, but if Dallas were willing to retain a million or 2 on Benn, you could retain a million or 2 on Lucic instead (who’s actual salary drops to 4 per this summer), and flip him. It actually saves Dallas money/cap as Lucic has shorter term remaining.
1st needs to be this years, cause thats a whole lot of meh

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I have no idea why, but I feel like NJ could be a great fit for him.

What would the return look like? I would do Wood, McLeod and a 2nd.

I know it’s not an ideal return, or maybe it is what do I know, but Dallas would be getting a couple of young assets and some cap relief. They aren’t going to get a player of similar value in exchange for Ben.

hagan88

May 19, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Let’s just say eventually if they agreed to mutually part ways. He would probably be only going to Vancouver.

Benn-Peterson-Boeser

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
What would the return look like? I would do Wood, McLeod and a 2nd.

I know it’s not an ideal return, or maybe it is what do I know, but Dallas would be getting a couple of young assets and some cap relief. They aren’t going to get a player of similar value in exchange for Ben.
Why does everyone assume Dallas needs to dump his contract? Jim Nill may suck at drafting but his is amazing at the salary cap. Dallas will have a ton of cap space this off season and that includes Benn and Seguin contracts. There is no need to dump him and it’s not worth selling him low for trash offers.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Please find me one flaw in the proposal other than “lol it has Lucic in it”. Again, if Dallas were willing to retain 2 million on Benn, retaining 2 million of Lucic makes a LOT more sense
I like the Lucic idea but Pulijarvi is a bust. Need to add a better prospect.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Neal at 5.75m
Hathaway
Kylington
19 3rd
1st 20
2 2nds in the next 5 years?(Cgy's choice?)

For
Benn 9.0M(500 k retained)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->