Speculation: Jamie Benn: already demoted to 3rd line LW

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Interestingly, I don't think trading Benn is a contradiction to the team's "win now" situation. The top two lines could have two stalwarts (Seguin, Radulov, Hintz, and Pevelski), with a potentially productive player as the third line-mate (e.g. already on roster, prospect, or via trade). A trade could also improve depth. Plus, it improves flexibility drastically to have smaller contracts.

I agree entirely. I meant the Canucks win now mindset though, right or wrong. Dallas is well set with their top six, losing Benn wouldn't be an impediment with the players they have brought in over the last few seasons if they get the cap flexibility from his contract.

Reactions: JesusNPucks

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Fake news

Benn-Seguin-Radulov reunited on the top line

Dallas desperate to finally get a win, 0-3 and in tough against the Caps, on the road......not surprised they're reuniting their top guns.

We'll see if it's effective tonight and, if so, how long it lasts.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
I agree entirely. I meant the Canucks win now mindset though, right or wrong. Dallas is well set with their top six, losing Benn wouldn't be an impediment with the players they have brought in over the last few seasons if they get the cap flexibility from his contract.
Oh my bad. Should have checked your profile. Lol. I thought Vancouver was rebuilding?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Oh my bad. Should have checked your profile. Lol. I thought Vancouver was rebuilding?

We haven't really been, and we should be, but we signed Ferland, Benn and Myers and traded a conditional first for JT Miller this off season...and our coach and manager seem to be behaving like this is their last chance to keep their positions, so it's anyone's guess.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
It seems Dallas fans are alright taking back bad contracts...but how about retention instead of an anchor level set of contracts back?

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Is the consensus from Dallas fans that his fallout is due to injury? Benn was fantastic for many years and it’s a shame how quick that turned.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Is the consensus from Dallas fans that his fallout is due to injury? Benn was fantastic for many years and it’s a shame how quick that turned.
I don’t think there is a consensus. I’m more optimistic than most about Benn’s future productivity, but I believe it is dependent on a fresh start.

SomethingHockey

Nov 7, 2016
I can buy the “fresh start” thing. With that said, if he’s mentally exhausted from the attention in Dallas, there are very, VERY few NHL teams who have less scrutiny and attention than the Dallas Stars. It almost certainly won’t be better elsewhere.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Trade him to the jets to play 2c

I can see it now...Benn and Wheeler together coasting 90% of every game and living off reputation while completely commandeering the Jets locker room as the “respected vets”.

They would have been a bad (as in awesome) duo of size and skill a few years back. Now...seems like an awful idea.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
I can see it now...Benn and Wheeler together coasting 90% of every game and living off reputation while completely commandeering the Jets locker room as the “respected vets”.

They would have been a bad (as in awesome) duo of size and skill a few years back. Now...seems like an awful idea.
While Benn has declined greatly, Wheeler is a good as he ever was.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Imo Benn was overpaid . At 30 years old a majority of hockey players are into decline mode .

5 more years left on his contract and a salary cap that just about every team in the league is at the ceiling and no serious talk about the cap going up that much next year means one of two things either Dallas is willing to eat a good portion of his salary no trade is feasabel

Next option Dallas has to deal with him .

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Power forwards generally (there’s always exceptions — Gordie, Ovi) fall off a cliff around 30 years old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad