Speculation: Jamie Benn: already demoted to 3rd line LW

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
I'd do that from the Canucks perspective.

How long does Benn have under contract?
6 years. I’ve said in my posts over the past two seasons that I think Benn would do much better with a fresh start and with no captaincy, and thought back home in BC with his brother would be icing on the cake. I want him to do well, just not overly confident it will happen in Dallas again.

From a Dallas POV, I value cap space and flexibility to re-sign Heiskanen in two years and Klingberg in three. Plus, I want the team to be forced to play it’s youngsters more. It’s far easier to sit, waive, or trade a $3M player than it is a $9M one.

Thanks for the reply.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
6 years. I’ve said in my posts over the past two seasons that I think Benn would do much better with a fresh start and with no captaincy, and thought back home in BC with his brother would be icing on the cake. I want him to do well, just not overly confident it will happen in Dallas again.

From a Dallas POV, I value cap space and flexibility to re-sign Heiskanen in two years and Klingberg in three. Plus, I want the team to be forced to play it’s youngsters more. It’s far easier to sit, waive, or trade a $3M player than it is a $9M one.

Thanks for the reply.

It's a risk, but we're kind of all in over the next few years. If his hips are as suspect as a few posters here are saying (I don't know if that can be all of it), LTIR is an option while her rehabs and recovers, but there's a risk on both sides. Now we just need one owner or the other to reach out, which given their history....might be the most fantastic if in the whole deal for either side.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'd love him on the Habs and he will be with his BC buddies in Weber and Price. That being said, Habs should only go for him if he is cheap like Subban while including Alzner.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
But there's no way Benn would allow a trade to Ottawa.

Last year, cost per point:
Benn: $179,245
Ryan: $172,619

Given Benn has 3yrs longer on his contract, I don't think Ottawa would even want him for a straight swap. Since 2018, Benn has been marginally better than Ryan, but his contract is just as awful unless he gets back to form. Personally, I don't think he will get back to the 70+ guy he once was.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Remember when he won the Art Ross?

931212_1.jpg

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
It's a risk, but we're kind of all in over the next few years. If his hips are as suspect as a few posters here are saying (I don't know if that can be all of it), LTIR is an option while her rehabs and recovers, but there's a risk on both sides. Now we just need one owner or the other to reach out, which given their history....might be the most fantastic if in the whole deal for either side.
Interestingly, I don't think trading Benn is a contradiction to the team's "win now" situation. The top two lines could have two stalwarts (Seguin, Radulov, Hintz, and Pevelski), with a potentially productive player as the third line-mate (e.g. already on roster, prospect, or via trade). A trade could also improve depth. Plus, it improves flexibility drastically to have smaller contracts.

Reactions: Cogburn

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Ottawa could offer Ryan (3 years left) + much better sweaters than Pearson (tons of picks/prospects and middle 6 players)
I agree that this would be better for Dallas but, as another poster implied, Vancouver would be a much more desirable destination for Benn than Ottawa would. That comment is in no way out of disrespect to Ottawa or the team, only out of respect to his NMC and the likelihood of him waiving it.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Interestingly, I don't think trading Benn is a contradiction to the team's "win now" situation. The top two lines could have two stalwarts (Seguin, Radulov, Hintz, and Pevelski), with a potentially productive player as the third line-mate (e.g. already on roster, prospect, or via trade). A trade could also improve depth. Plus, it improves flexibility drastically to have smaller contracts.

It is impossible to trade Benn and not be saddled with capdumps in return. I don’t see any team touching that contract.. 6 years at 9.5M is killer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad