Player Discussion Jamie Benn - 2014-2015 Art Ross Trophy Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
We've tried Benn and Eriksson together before. It worked for a little bit but mostly Eriksson just seemed invisible when paired with Benn. Not a fan.

False. When they're on their game together, they're unstoppable. I can't even begin to imagine how many 2 on 1's they had when they were last together, and I think if they find that chemistry, it's definitely worth it.

If they don't have that chemistry though, leave Eriksson and his two way play with Ryder and Ribs. Benn's good enough to fend for his own for a few games.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Didn't they both have a pretty lengthy point streak going before that line was broken up? I always thought Loui and Benn looked pretty good together on the ice.

Same here, they went through a minor slump and then they got broken up for good.

MetalGodAOD*

Ya I don't agree. I mean there was an article written on their practice on NHL 12 and how it gave them chemistry in real games at one point. They were on fire as a pair for a while this season. I think they're a real pairing of our future.

The biggest problem is that when Ribs is off his game and not getting sheltered zone starts he's absolutely abysmal defensively, no matter who is on his line. Loui mitigates some of that, but not all of it. The Loui-Ribs-Ryder line was on fire while Benn was out, so it hasn't gotten changed yet. I imagine when we go into a slump, Benn and Loui or Ryder will get reunited.

LohPilot

Jul 16, 2011
Richardson, Texas
And that is why we need another top 6 forward.

We have been discussing what we need offensively for awhile. I still beleive we need a #2 center. This will allow Benn back on wing with Loui. Benn would like to be on wing and I believe the coaches would as well! A center and a shut down defenseman would be great going into the future. We have some excellent offensive and defensive players coming up from the minors that will make us a great team for years to come.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Benn would like to be on wing and I believe the coaches would as well!

I don't think you have any information that could support that opinion. Do you want him on wing? Sure, and that opinion is OK. However, I can't think of single quote or manner in which Benn is used on the ice that would offer support to the opinion Benn or the team want him on wing.

In fact I would say most indications would be the team overwhelmingly wants Benn at center. I can't recall a quote from Benn one way or the other on his opinion about playing center

MetalGodAOD*

I don't think you have any information that could support that opinion. Do you want him on wing? Sure, and that opinion is OK. However, I can't think of single quote or manner in which Benn is used on the ice that would offer support to the opinion Benn or the team want him on wing.

In fact I would say most indications would be the team overwhelmingly wants Benn at center. I can't recall a quote from Benn one way or the other on his opinion about playing center

He mentioned during an All-Star interview he wasn't comfortable at first, but now he likes it because he gets more space on the ice and controls the play more. He's also turned into one of our better FO men (not saying much but he's improved a ton). Center is his future.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
We have been discussing what we need offensively for awhile. I still beleive we need a #2 center. This will allow Benn back on wing with Loui. Benn would like to be on wing and I believe the coaches would as well! A center and a shut down defenseman would be great going into the future. We have some excellent offensive and defensive players coming up from the minors that will make us a great team for years to come.

Benn is a center. It's a lot harder to find a #1 center than it is to find a top line winger. He's staying there unless there's something we don't know.

What we do need a bluechip center prospect to replace Ribs once he's gone. However, with the way Ribs plays (not very physical, so he could last longer than guys like Morrow or Ott) and if he wants to stay here once his contract is up, that might not even be an issue for a couple more years.

Also, we could use two top 6 wingers to really get somewhere. But I think we'll try and fill one of those spots through FA, the other internally. This is a discussion that's been beaten to death on these boards.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Does anybody else think PA Parenteau would be a good UFA target for the Stars? Islanders fans think he is a decent playmaker and good on the PP, and fans of other teams think his production is all caused by playing with Tavares

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Does anybody else think PA Parenteau would be a good UFA target for the Stars? Islanders fans think he is a decent playmaker and good on the PP, and fans of other teams think his production is all caused by playing with Tavares

No, I would rather bring Glennie up.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If he signs for cheap and one year, why not?

I doubt he will, though.

A lot of his production is due to Tavares, but I think if he's with Benn, it wouldn't be that big of a change, as long as he can find a bit of chemistry with him.

LohPilot

Jul 16, 2011
Richardson, Texas
He mentioned during an All-Star interview he wasn't comfortable at first, but now he likes it because he gets more space on the ice and controls the play more. He's also turned into one of our better FO men (not saying much but he's improved a ton). Center is his future.

I missed the All Star game and Benn's quote regarding the Center position. Since that is what he said, I will agree.

budaj guy

Mar 7, 2012
Northern Alberta
anybody here have any idea what kind of contract offer Benn will be getting in the off-season?

Benn is one of the anchors on my fantasy keeper team, and prolly my second favorite player in the league after Duchene.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Probably ~6 million per. I'd prefer to see a Tavares type contract, but it'll probably be a bit more.

Bennrocks

Mar 19, 2011
anybody here have any idea what kind of contract offer Benn will be getting in the off-season?

Benn is one of the anchors on my fantasy keeper team, and prolly my second favorite player in the league after Duchene.

Both parties seem to want to wait for the off season... i don't think he is going to pull a turris though if that is what you're worried about

budaj guy

Mar 7, 2012
Northern Alberta
Probably ~6 million per. I'd prefer to see a Tavares type contract, but it'll probably be a bit more.

yeah i was hoping for ~5 million per, the less cap Benn eats the better. certainly deserves a Tavares type deal though

Both parties seem to want to wait for the off season... i don't think he is going to pull a turris though if that is what you're worried about

Benn doesn't seem like the type to hold out, so not too worried here.

UpGoesRupp

Jul 18, 2008
British Columbia
Jordie has put together a good season in the AHL and with his call up. Maybe Jamie is waiting a little bit to see where his brother ends up. Not that it would be a big factor. But I think Jordie has earned a spot and gets nothng bit praise from his AHL teammates

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Jordie won't dictate where Jamie goes, it'll be vice versa.

When Jamie resigns, Jordie will too.

Last edited:

piqued

easy game
Nov 22, 2006
CapGeek has Benn as the 2nd best value in the NHL this past season. He cost the team just a little over $13,000 per point. Meanwhile, for comparison, Ville Leino cost the Sabres $180,000 per point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->