James Van Riemsdyk

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Healthy and with better center play he should be a 30-35 guy for us. I don’t think anyone is supplanting him on pp1 for a couple more years. It was a good signing by hextall.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
JVR struggled defensively last year, I think he was at his best on a line with Couts and Giroux.
That will be the toughest decision for AV, putting the lines together.
In Toronto, JVR took off when he was paired with Bozak, I think they have to find a similar match here, maybe with Hayes?

Giroux - Couts - Voracek
JVR - Hayes - TK
Laughton - Patrick - Lindblom

or

JVR - Couts - Giroux
Laughton - Hayes - Voracek
Lindblom - Patrick - TK

I think as rookies, Frost and Farabee are competing for the 3LW spot, moving Laughton down to 4C.
Otherwise, it's Raffl, Pitlick/Andreoff, Pitlick/NAK as the 4th line.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Raffl-Laughton-Pitlick.

That should be the 4th line.

Don’t move Lindblom from the 3rd LW sport. Frost and Farabee can battle for the 3rd RW spot. Even if one is on their off hand, they are both smart enough to adjust to it.

This seems easy no? Why complicate it?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lindblom has experience playing RW.
Frost and Farabee are rookies who lack RW experience.
Pretty obvious who you move to RW.

Why ask a kid to adjust to both the NHL and playing on their off hand, if you want them to learn to play RW, send them to LHV to do so.

Reactions: litflyersfan

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
JVR struggled defensively last year, I think he was at his best on a line with Couts and Giroux.
That will be the toughest decision for AV, putting the lines together.
In Toronto, JVR took off when he was paired with Bozak, I think they have to find a similar match here, maybe with Hayes?

Giroux - Couts - Voracek
JVR - Hayes - TK
Laughton - Patrick - Lindblom

or

JVR - Couts - Giroux
Laughton - Hayes - Voracek
Lindblom - Patrick - TK

I think as rookies, Frost and Farabee are competing for the 3LW spot, moving Laughton down to 4C.
Otherwise, it's Raffl, Pitlick/Andreoff, Pitlick/NAK as the 4th line.
We finally have “envious” center depth. A bona fide number one, a legitimate number two and a top prospect who should be at that number two level as well. They all know how to play in their own end. AV should actually have a little fun working this lineup, and shouldn’t have to worry nearly as much as to the defensive deficiencies of a jvr voracek or even konecny. He has a couple guys that can play all over in giroux and lindblom that makes roster creation a little less anxiety inducing.

If you follow that pairing model

Jvr—coots—xx
Xx—hayes—konecny
Xx—Patrick—voracek

G would still stick at left wing, lindblom could eight shotgun on the first and you bring in frost or farabee on the third line getting the “easiest” minutes, with an upper echelon playdriver in jake. Seems pretty good to me.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think there's a good chance that JVR will be better this year because he played most of the season hurt.

That said, I'm agnostic about what line he plays on as long as he gets PP1 time.

If AV wants to get Lindblom, Frost or Farabee higher in the lineup I'm all for it.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
JvR gets hurt too much and goes missing too often when not hurt.

Oh wait....He did score 27 goals in the games he played last year and really should have hit 30 with a little luck.

As you were.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I wanna see
JVR - Hayes - Voracek

That's a big unit that can really grind the other team.
Leaves our top unit of G - Couts - TK intact,
and let's our 3rd line of
Lindblom - Patrick - (Frost or Farabee)
to get some sheltered minutes and feast on other teams 3rd pairings.

This would be the 1st line combos I'd try, I agree.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Raffl-Laughton-Pitlick.

Don’t move Lindblom from the 3rd LW sport. Frost and Farabee can battle for the 3rd RW spot. Even if one is on their off hand, they are both smart enough to adjust to it.

Cause we have three months to fill. ;)

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Raffl-Laughton-Pitlick.

laughton rubtsov raffl
Pitlick

Is my hope.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I wanna see
JVR - Hayes - Voracek

That's a big unit that can really grind the other team.
Leaves our top unit of G - Couts - TK intact,
and let's our 3rd line of
Lindblom - Patrick - (Frost or Farabee)
to get some sheltered minutes and feast on other teams 3rd pairings.
This is correct answer.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
The great thing about pre-season is that it's all about experimenting with the lineups. I know I'd love to see some outside of the box thinking and not the standard cookie cutter approach to line building we've seen from the Flyers. For instance, the Giroux - Couturier - Right Wing Flavour of the Week has been done so many times. Why not try something completely different? For instance, I'd love to see something like the following:

Farabee - Hayes - Giroux
Lindblom - Couturier - Konecny
van Useless - Patrick - Voracek
Laughton - Frost - Rubtsov
Raffl

Work the talented youngsters into the lineup. The Flyers aren't winning a Stanley Cup this year, so it's about development. Let fans get a taste of what the future holds. The good news is that if it doesn't work, guys like Frost and Rubtsov can be sent down and you can put Pitlick and Raffl back into the lineup. I'm not sure if the Flyers could stomach something like that, but they've done it before when they had Carter, Richards and Umburger all in the lineup.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Farabee - Hayes - Giroux
Lindblom - Couturier - Konecny
van Useless - Patrick - Voracek
Laughton - Frost - Rubtsov
Raffl

Work the talented youngsters into the lineup. The Flyers aren't winning a Stanley Cup this year, so it's about development. Let fans get a taste of what the future holds. The good news is that if it doesn't work, guys like Frost and Rubtsov can be sent down and you can put Pitlick and Raffl back into the lineup. I'm not sure if the Flyers could stomach something like that, but they've done it before when they had Carter, Richards and Umburger all in the lineup.
Well, looking at that roster.

Hayes over coots
G on the right wing
“Van useless” our 25-30 goal guy
Bringing in all of frost rubstov and farabee at once when we have adequate depth at the nhl level.

One of the benefits of convention is that it is the common denominator, it make the most sense. We have a spot on the roster, let farabee and frost duke it out. Someone like rubstov or vorobyev (whom fletcher does not seem to have soured on) breaks in better on the forth line.

The last time we broke guys in en masse like that we finished dead last and got shafted in the draft lottery. The former should have gravity here. If we were banking on great forward depth then I’d say game on. We have a potential elite goalie, a killer defensive core. Build from there and then bring the forwards in from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad