James Van Riemsdyk

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
When is he going to realize that absolutely every goalie in the NHL knows his between the legs at the side of the net move inside out and backwards?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
JvR should be traded as well! By the time our Leafs will be ready to contend he'll be on the downside too!

You just might get a 1st round pick, and a prospect, for him and his cap friendly contract!

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
God, every player discussion is just a jukebox of complaints about our players. No heart, no toughness, etc.

Ask any fan of another team if they'd want JVR on theirs, they'd say yes immediately. Guy is on a great contract, produces, and yet that's not enough unless he's Tie Domi 2.0.

And chirps about him being American? Having a bad attitude? Sure. Did he send you a mean PM on hfboards? Because that's the only way you'd know. :help:

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
They did know, but it shows how low they thought of JVR at that time.. remember, he was avging around 14 mins and picking up a 3rd pairing stay at home d-man, twas a fair trade. For what JVR puts up in points, he lacks in defensive play just as much as Kessel, and, he is absolutely going to be a prolific negative player with zero heart and leadership. Philly won the trade until we dupe over the next team who wants him.

Did he not sign your hockey card? You have no idea about his heart and leadership.

Really glad he's on our team and pretty pathetic that statements like this are made with reckless abandon. Maybe you should follow a team where every player is the next Gary Roberts.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Random Thought: Is there any similarity to Ponikarovsky in JVR?

Actually, I see a lot of similarities between the two players to be honest. Both guys were/are big, both of them don't/didn't use their size to their advantage, both players had/have above average NHL shots, both guys have very poor vision out there. The big difference between the two IMO is JVR uses his shot a lot more then Poni did, as well he's more consistent at driving the net, Poni was a lot more defesnively responsible then JVR currently is.

I'd say they're similair but also different too. To be fair I'd say a better comparable would be Max Pacrioetty, they are identical that it's almost eerie.

ThatQuietGuy93

Apr 23, 2013
London On
Actually, I see a lot of similarities between the two players to be honest. Both guys were/are big, both of them don't/didn't use their size to their advantage, both players had/have above average NHL shots, both guys have very poor vision out there. The big difference between the two IMO is JVR uses his shot a lot more then Poni did, as well he's more consistent at driving the net, Poni was a lot more defesnively responsible then JVR currently is.

I'd say they're similair but also different too. To be fair I'd say a better comparable would be Max Pacrioetty, they are identical that it's almost eerie.

I think he is similar to Okposo and they both wear #21.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
JvR should be traded as well! By the time our Leafs will be ready to contend he'll be on the downside too!

You just might get a 1st round pick, and a prospect, for him and his cap friendly contract!

He and Morgan Rielly are probably the only 2 contracts that the Leafs are getting full value for right now. The rest of them are either underperforming, or are being overpaid for their role

I don't think you move someone like that. Of course it all depends on the return.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Random Thought: Is there any similarity to Ponikarovsky in JVR?

No. The success that Pocahonski had came from being a hard working, industrious player that benefited from playing with two Hall of Fame players in Sundin and Nieuwendyk as well as a decently talented guy in Andropoff. JVR is a guy with a ton of natural gifts and talent that benefits from playing with a Hall of Very Good player in Kessel, but I don't think he's got the meat and potatoes attitude that Poni had

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto

Ponies has almost nothing in common with either JvR or Patcioretty dude. JvR has great vision, have you seen some of the passes the guy makes? From a talent perspective he is literally lacking in nothing except a shot. His shot is accurate but he doesn't have a quick and hard release. His only problem is consistensy and intensity, if the Leafs trade him they're crazy.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Tough call on JVR.

Everyone knows that the guys has skill but here is the thing. If this guy had some actual drive and sense of team spirit he would be a very dominant player in his own right and not just a skilled winger who opportunistically gets his points off of Kessel's production. If they could get JVR to start to manufacture his own scoring chances rather than rely on Kessel so much he would be a great asset to the team.

Personally i would trade him while his value is quite high. Either that or put him on the second line with insulated minutes as well as with dependable forwards. Then again maybe with a different coach and not playing with Kessel so much it might bring him into his own. Alright trade him if the return is really good.

JVR is Kessel light. lol

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Haven't noticed him at all this year but hey, 20goals is fantastic.

Crazy isn't it?

Made the point a few pages ago - what if this guy engaged and applied himself occasionally. He's put up 41 points almost automatically while playing well within himself. No where near as impactful as he was last season.

The flip side is what does that say about his upside and potential? What sort of player can he be if he does eventually figure it out?

That's the sort of thing that the Maple Leafs should be gambling on. In the past, they've never gambled / taken the risk on potential and upside, and instead have chosen character and leadership.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad