Injury Report: James Reimer (Head/Neck)

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Yeah I've stopped listening to TSN 1050 at lunch because of Jeff O'Neill. Can't say anything good and just comes off as a bitter former player.

Someone has to offset Jamie McLennan. I find he does a good job as an analyst.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Sometimes guys come back to practice to "test" out their symptoms. Remember Lupul last season? Not trying to put a damper on things, but that was a hard blow to the head to a guy with a history.

Hoping the practice goes well, we should know in another 90 mins or so.

GLG

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
And someone will have to go down to make it work?

Apparently the UofT goalie is on the ice today. Wonder how much he gets paid for that.

I would do that for free :laugh: Being able to dress in a leafs uniform and sit on the bench and practice with them would be awesome :nod:

Mind you if it becomes a regular thing over the course of many days/weeks...yeah, I would want to get paid ;)

Tyler Biggs*

Hope Reimer's okay. The good news for us Leaf fans is there's no need to rush him back. Bernier is a great goaltender...and what happened to him last night could happen to anyone. Let Reimer rest and let's hope for the best for him.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yeah I've stopped listening to TSN 1050 at lunch because of Jeff O'Neill. Can't say anything good and just comes off as a bitter former player.
Feels like listening to Toronto media is just an exercise in frustration. Just no point anymore. It's like they are convinced that being negative about everything is the only way they can continue to exist.

Hopefully the practice goes smoothly for Reimer. Despite all the fear about concussions these days sometimes when you get smacked in the head all you have is a headache. Both exist and it's a matter of figuring out which one it is and responding to that.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
McLennan is an excellent analyst. Top rate.

Hayes and McLennan were a great team...no idea why they needed to toss O'neill in there.

Anyways (on topic) great to hear that Reimer is at practice today, although I wouldn't be surprised if Leafs Managment is having MacIntyre be 'prepared' to meet the team in Chicago. They may not need it but if Reimer shows he's not ready to return just yet the'll probably want MacIntyre there just incase.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Great to hear that Reimer was at practice today. I'm not going to assume it means he's 100% in the clear but I'll take it as a good sign that he didn't have any major symptoms overnight or this morning that prevented him from trying out practice. I haven't read anything about him leaving practice early either. I would give the next 2-3 games to Bernier anyway while Reimer continues to practice and feel things out. No need to rush him.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050
James Reimer says the plan is for him to be available in Chicago. Carlyle says the same is expected of James van Riemsdyk.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050
James Reimer says the plan is for him to be available in Chicago. Carlyle says the same is expected of James van Riemsdyk.

excellent news....they really miss JVR

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
If we can get back a healthy Fraser, JVR, Kulemin and Reimer. And finally get Clarkson back off of suspension. This team really excites me with their potential.

One thing is for certain a healthy Fraser, Kulemin and Clarkson improves our defence immensly.

I can't wait to see everyone together for a long period of time. And if there is a way to keep this Leivo kid up on the top two lines I would do it. Hes the real deal.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
If we can get back a healthy Fraser, JVR, Kulemin and Reimer. And finally get Clarkson back off of suspension. This team really excites me with their potential.

One thing is for certain a healthy Fraser, Kulemin and Clarkson improves our defence immensly.

I can't wait to see everyone together for a long period of time. And if there is a way to keep this Leivo kid up on the top two lines I would do it. Hes the real deal.

Even JVR helps our defense (with the notion that the best defense is a good offense, i.e. puck possession), and he's a penalty killer as well.

All of our injured guys will help the cause when they get back. Can't wait.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The full lineup depth chart as it should* be (injured crossed out):

Van Riemsdyk-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Raymond-Bolland-Kulemin
McLaren-McClement-Orr

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Franson
Fraser-Ranger
Rielly

Bernier
Reimer

Only Bolland and Orr are the only guys with any grit left in the top 9. Lupul can be counted towards that as well, and while Kadri can throw some hits, it's not the same.

At least Dion and Franson are still on the back end, but Fraser provides a bit more than those guys in the physical department as of now. Hopefully JVR and Reimer are back for tomorrow as is being indicated on twitter.

*Opinions may vary.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I'd prefer Leivo/Broll/Bodie to Orr once McLaren is back, personally. Orr is a beast, but I'd like a bit more skating ability, instead of two simplistic goons.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens

Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Raymond-Bolland-Kulemin
McLaren-McClement-Orr

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Franson
Fraser-Ranger
Rielly

Bernier
Reimer

Only Bolland and Orr are the only guys with any grit left in the top 9. Lupul can be counted towards that as well, and while Kadri can throw some hits, it's not the same.

At least Dion and Franson are still on the back end, but Fraser provides a bit more than those guys in the physical department as of now. Hopefully JVR and Reimer are back for tomorrow as is being indicated on twitter.

*Opinions may vary.

Here's my varying opinion on what the healthy lineup should look like:

Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Raymond-Bolland-Kulemin
Lievo-McClement-Orr/McLaren

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Franson
Fraser-Rielly
Ranger

Bernier
Reimer

Having both McLaren and Orr (two pure goons) is a waste, especially if we have Clarkson and Fraser who can fill the goon void if needed, but actually have skill to actually play the game too. I'd also bump up Rielly over Ranger, based on their play.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Here's my varying opinion on what the healthy lineup should look like:

Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Raymond-Bolland-Kulemin
Lievo-McClement-Orr/McLaren

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Franson
Fraser-Rielly
Ranger

Bernier
Reimer

Having both McLaren and Orr (two pure goons) is a waste, especially if we have Clarkson and Fraser who can fill the goon void if needed, but actually have skill to actually play the game too. I'd also bump up Rielly over Ranger, based on their play.

It's Leivo not Lievo -- and I'm not sure that he wouldn't benefit more from playing top six minutes with the Marlies than playing fourth line minutes with the Leafs.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Raymond-Bolland-Kulemin
McLaren-McClement-Orr

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Franson
Fraser-Ranger
Rielly

Bernier
Reimer

*Opinions may vary.

McLaren and Fraser have no place in our healthy starting lineup.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
great to hear that Reimer is fine.

another concussion would have been really, really bad news.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
It's Leivo not Lievo -- and I'm not sure that he wouldn't benefit more from playing top six minutes with the Marlies than playing fourth line minutes with the Leafs.

Thanks, I wasn't going for spelling marks.

I'm more of a believer in quality over quantity, so I'd argue the opposite. Half the minutes at the NHL pace is much more valuable than twice the minutes at a much slower pace. Keep Leivo with the big club, and you keep his mind moving at the quicker pace, and continue to see him develop. Send him down to play at a slower pace, and risk that his play is off a little bit because he has to adjust again when he gets called up.

Bottom line is that Leivo is much more talented than either Orr or McLaren, and we're not in the business of beating other teams up, we're in the business of winning hockey games. I get the value of fighters to help the smaller skilled players feel confident that they won't get bullied around, but that's what Clarkson and Fraser are for. McLaren and Orr are just overkill.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Reimer's helmet was specially designed to absorb impact and give easily. That's why if you noticed last year and this year his helmet would always fall off. This also prevents the neck from being pulled with the head on impact.

Should be okay.

http://ingoalmag.com/masks/transformer-optimus-reimer-featured-on-new-maple-leafs-mask/

He is wearing a new Bauer prototype that includes the same “Re-AKT” technology used in their player helmet, with an inner liner that allows the outside to twist with heavy side, or rotational impact, before taking the head and neck with it. Reimer hopes the new mask will prevent a repeat of last season, when he missed most of the year with a neck injury that included concussion symptoms because of a blow to the side of the head.

It seems to have worked. I want everyone on the team wearing that helmet :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad