James Neel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
The disappontment in the Dallas draft seems to have come from taking Neel over the likes of Latendresse. Since the selection, some people have told me he is actually quite talented offensive , played in a defensive system and skates well for a guy his size(unlike Latendresse for example). Does anyone have any thoughts.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Starsdude said:
The disappontment in the Dallas draft seems to have come from taking Neel over the likes of Latendresse. Since the selection, some people have told me he is actually quite talented offensive , played in a defensive system and skates well for a guy his size(unlike Latendresse for example). Does anyone have any thoughts.

James Neal does everything well, nothing great. He will play in the NHL IMO, most likely as a solid 3rd line guy, but could slip to a solid 4th line guy. If he keeps improving, he might be the kind of player thats an excellent 3rd lin guy, and can sub in on the 2nd.

Good size.

Leafs 67 and Waiting

Jul 15, 2005
USA
James Neal is a great pick I have seen this kid play a whole season in Plymouth and in his first full year in the OHL finished top five in scoring on the club. He is a big kid with great hands and drives the net everytime he gets the chance. He will lead the Whalers in scoring this year. I think he will be in the top ten in league scoring.

He was one of the youngest players available in the 05 draft just missed being a 2006 draft pick by two weeks.

He will be a solid NHL player very soon.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I think it will take this kid a little bit of time to make it to the show. He's a Nathan Smith type player (first rounder 2000)

I don't think he'll be an impact player but he does do alot of things well and I think will be on the world junior team in 07

Leafs 67 and Waiting

Jul 15, 2005
USA
I think it was a mistake he wasn't invited to the world junior camp this summer.

I think he will get the call when the main camp comes around after the OHL season starts.

Leafs 67 and Waiting

Jul 15, 2005
USA
Starsdude said:
THN had him at 42 in the top 50 issue and 2 weeks later at 55 any reason or just stupidity

I think they made a mistake. Most of the draft forcasters had hin ranked anywherefrom 32 to 51. I think it was an error on there part.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Starsdude said:
THN had him at 42 in the top 50 issue and 2 weeks later at 55 any reason or just stupidity

If I remember right, more than one player changed positions. Very lame of THN to re-rank some players without giving any sort of explanation.

As for Neal, we liked him a lot at YoungGunsHockey.com. So much so we had him rated as a late first rounder. I think the fact that he was a bit of a late bloomer might have hurt his rating with other services. He really didn't get his all around game together until the 03-04 season. He's got a lot of upside in all different aspects of his game. This draft had quite a few curveballs in it. I certainly didn't expect to see guys like Oshie, Downie or Pelech go where they did.

X-SHARKIE

Chief said:
This draft had quite a few curveballs in it. I certainly didn't expect to see guys like Oshie, Downie or Pelech go where they did.

I think the reason was because unlike any other draft, teams had no clue when they would be drafting untill a week before.

So I think teams identified guys they liked alot, and were comfortable getting at any point in the 1st round, or watched them enough they felt like they were good enough to go so high.

Pokulok at 14th was the biggest surprise IMO. Even though I was considered "higher on him then most" having him in the high 30's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad