James Neal vs Bobby Ryan

Leafs 67 and Waiting

Jul 15, 2005
USA
James Neal will have better numbers than Bobby Ryan this year.

Neal is so under rated. He had an outstanding camp at Traverse city for the Dallas Stars.

Neal had an assist for the Stars in an exhibition game vs Atlanta.

Neal has 7 goals and 2 helpers in 4 games for the Whalers.

James Neal will be a force for the Whalers this year!:yo: :yo:

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
I know very, very little about Bobby Ryan other than his draft slot, so I can't compare them. I know the Stars have been really happy with Neal and that he impressed a lot of people in camp.

Transported Upstater

This is more random than that dream I had where I was on David Letterman, sitting next to Visigoths, and talking about Sidney Poitier.

Randall Graves*

Not gonna happen unless Ryans teammates blow chances like they did last year..

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Is there any reason your comparing him to Ryan?
They are really good players to compare, IMO. Both PF, both with knocks to their skating. Both will have huge seasons in junior. I've been on the Ryan bandwagon for quite a while, and like many others, heading into the draft I was a little bit disappointed with Neal, he didn't yet seem to be adjusting for his skating deficiencies very well, his offense wasn't showing much. Still, Neal has been a much more willing physical presence, more combative, harder working than Ryan. He picked that side of his game up even more after the draft. He has also filled out more now to help compare to Ryan, who has always carried a lot of bulk.

In many ways, Ryan isn't even a power forward in the old throwback sense of the term, just that he's a big guy who plays most of his game down low, but without the aggression that some people use as a defining PF criteria. I was surprised that Dallas took Neal that high, even though a longer range perspective would certainly have supported that pick. Ryan has vision and creativity that Neal lacks. Neal is developing that extra drive and aggression that Ryan lacks.

Neal's post-draft development curve has been steeper than Ryan's IMO. Has Ryan plateaued? Maybe it's hard to judge, because he has been dominating so long in the OHL that a certain complacency factor might come into play. They will be interesting players to monitor this year. And of course, just to throw a little bias in here, it will be interesting also to compare and contrast those two to another somewhat slow-footed PF type from that draft as he makes his NHL debut this season, Guillaume Latendresse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad