James Neal Appreciation Thread

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Neal clearly tips the goal home tonight. It was clear as day, could spot that right away in realtime, yet the telecast initially crediting Nuge with the goal and Nuge going to the bench fist pumping as if he scored. Kind of a weird look, Nuge must have known Neal tipped that in.

Nice hand eye coordination by Neal on the tip. He's on fire.

There was a routine shootin that hit the endboards and that almost bounced in as well. The telecast didn't make note of it. Could have been 8.

Didn’t Nuge go right to Neal as if tonsay its your goal bro? Players were headed towards Nuge to celebrate around him, Nuge went toward Neal instead.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Change the channel when Burkie speaks is my best advice?

Well...I never said I disliked Burke. I think he is interesting much of the time.
I am just saying that its quite obvious that he missed the boat entirely with his comments on the Neal trade.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Off topic, but that place is the 2nd most overrated burger joint I've ever eaten at (after In-N-Out Burger). And only because way more people eat In-N-Out Burger.
True dat. Its no good at all and their shakes are shit

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Off topic, but that place is the 2nd most overrated burger joint I've ever eaten at (after In-N-Out Burger). And only because way more people eat In-N-Out Burger.

In N Out is good though. Please sir, tell me what’s better cause I love myself a burger and consider myself an expert in the subject.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Whether management quit on him first so he obliged or vice versa doesn't really matter. It was some mutual undoing where the end result is that Neal was checked out by the end of the season and management had the rock to clear the sheet of ice for the next round.

What Neal has done in Edmonton, good on him I guess. But there definitely were plenty of nights where some of us would watch Neal and wish that #18 had the Stajan name bar on it instead, less salary to staple to a bench and less locker room distraction as well. Neal is ready to go and ready to prove us wrong. That sucks major for us. However, that's not a bad thing in terms of making sure that the BOA is a spectacle and both teams sharpen swords on each other to prepare for greater things after the post season.

I'm a Flames fan, so yes, at times, there's that glee that the Oilers aren't doing as well as the Flames. But as time went on, that lack of ire in the BOA and that ability to push each other to be better was something I missed and I wanted back. Too many fans and players have gone to the point where they view a rivalry as pure enemy and hatred, but it doesn't always have to be. There can be mutual respect in a rivalry. One where you always want to beat the other guy, but also want to challenge them at the pinnacle. We can still quietly hope that the other will maintain and reach a high standard as part of the rivalry so that we can mutually pound the living daylights out of each other on the brightest stage, and not some back alley of a dive bar. Hemsky for all the punishment he endured at the hands of Regehr in the tunnel of doom never actually hated Regehr. Years later, he praised him for never being dirty, a difficult guy to play against and a guy who merely finishes his checks. Regehr to a certain extent must have felt somewhat the same in terms of respect. Though it all started from a high stick or something, Hemsky never backed down and would go deep to make a play, even if he knew there was a price to pay for that play.

Personally (and I know I'm probably going to be laughed at by those on both sides of the BOA), if the only way I can live with this deal is illogically hope that it pushes the BOA and the Oilers to the point where sweeter tears of victory and more bitter tears of sorrow can be lapped up in the post season, I guess I'll consider it to be the silver lining of the deal. Because, it's a deal that was won handily by the Oilers when first announced and even more now. This is our Hall for Larsson. Enjoy those tears and the salt trucks plenty, but I really hope that as a fan base, the Oilers do not settle on this minor swill as a victory drink. Think bigger, think better. Let Death Valley replace the aged California road trip as the place where its mention is received by groans by the rest of the league and lap up the tears from the rest of the league from Lord Stanley.

I believe the destinies of the two clubs are intertwined. One cannot compete for the cup while the other rebuilds. Unfortunately, it seems both clubs must rebuild and compete at the same time. The cup deserves to come back to Canada. As loathe as I am to contemplate that the Oilers will be the ones to win it first, I hope that the two teams in Alberta can be the ones pushing each other to the next level to consistently compete for it and carve their legacies multiple times into this trophy in the coming years.

Thanks for dealing with my wall of texts.
I love this post. I feel a few points you made really resonate with me. As much as I hate the flames and cheer against every team they play I want so badly to see these teams compete in the playoffs and push each other to the top like they did in the 80’s. One or both teams being bad sucks for the rivalry. I want to see a real rivalry again.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
giphy.gif

Honestly, just don't see the fuss. Kind of agree with Drivesaitl that most fast food burger joints are pretty overrated.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Heard they were good. But as an Edmontonian I don’t think there’s a fast food burger around here better than what In n Out offers

To be fair, I'm not really a fan of fast food burgers overall, and I haven't lived in Edmonton for a long time, so I don't know what's on offer.

I'm more of a 'gourmet burger' type.

I just remember eating In-n-out and wondering what all the fuss was about.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
To be fair, I'm not really a fan of fast food burgers overall, and I haven't lived in Edmonton for a long time, so I don't know what's on offer.

I'm more of a 'gourmet burger' type.

I just remember eating In-n-out and wondering what all the fuss was about.

Freshness and juiciness of patties in my opinion. I tried them 10 years ago and liked em. Tried em recently in Vegas and still a hit IMO.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Freshness and juiciness of patties in my opinion. I tried them 10 years ago and liked em. Tried em recently in Vegas and still a hit IMO.

Fair enough. I just found them a bit bland, and the fries were atrocious.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
For anyone who wants an adventure, you should try the burgers at Marco's World Famous by Rogers Place on the south edge of 104th. Cheap like Jurco, huge like Looch, tasty like Neal.

Full circle. ;)

Reactions: joestevens29

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
wow. That one flew right over your head....

You got me. :nod:
In my defence its hard to detect sarcasm in print sometimes...especially considering I am not familiar with your posting style.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Milan Lucic is like the busted Stiga table hockey player. The stick spring is wound wrong. Everytime that player touches the puck it flies off his stick to an opponent.

Milan Lucic, busted knobhockey player. Theres a meme and gif potential there..

What a hoser.

That we got Neal is fantastic.

That we got rid of Lucic to get Neal is stupendous.

That I get to watch Neal here, and Lucic in Calgary is like bonus gravy.

That Neal leads the league in scoring is legendary hilarity. Its monty python.

Milan-> He's the dead parrot in the sketch.

Milan the Parrots not dead, its resting...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad