News Article: James Dolan hires "consultants" to analyze Rangers

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
"Um, so Jim, do ya think it'd be a better idea for you to be here while we consult instead of touring with the Eagles?"

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
the phrase that made me cringe the most was the one about these guys knowing how to get "blood from rocks" or something like that. if prices at MSG arent high enough (from what i read here, i havent been to MSG in years) they are probably about to go up. some up, some down, but i wouldnt be surprised if the price of an entire evening at a Rangers home game goes up.

its all about the bottom dollar. not the success of the on-ice product.

These are the worst people on Earth. They're the same ******** who dream up ways for companies to use their scrap materials and waste bi-products to turn a profit on unsuspecting consumers. It is a foul industry filled with unconscionable worms.

Makes me sick thinking about it.

KreiMeARiver*

I'm very happy watching every game on tv. I just don't really see how going to a game is worth what they charge, to be honest.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
These are the worst people on Earth. They're the same ******** who dream up ways for companies to use their scrap materials and waste bi-products to turn a profit on unsuspecting consumers. It is a foul industry filled with unconscionable worms.

Bottom line - as long as fans keep going to games/handing their money over, there will always be these guys around to squeeze out every last ounce of profit.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC

This could really be extremely far from the truth. Consultants aren't always there to help make more money or make things more efficient.

They could have very well hired McKinsey and given them the Knicks and Rangers with the end goal "Make us win more". It could be a change in philosophy or drafting strategy or whatever. In case you guys haven't noticed, sometimes the old school people who know a lot about hockey aren't the best ones to be in charge.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This could really be extremely far from the truth. Consultants aren't always there to help make more money or make things more efficient.

They could have very well hired McKinsey and given them the Knicks and Rangers with the end goal "Make us win more". It could be a change in philosophy or drafting strategy or whatever. In case you guys haven't noticed, sometimes the old school people who know a lot about hockey aren't the best ones to be in charge.

From what I read, McKinsey specializes in data-driven, fact based analyses and action. Thats always a good thing. Especially if it somehow limits the "from the gut" decisions from self perceived big shots like Dolan and Sather.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Dolan is a big shot. Sather not so much. If the consultants can help get some crap done that the org needs to win, cool. More money for the org? Fine. Gut decisions aren't always the way to go. More fact driven and such that points to where to go would be better. So hopefully that.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Which nullifies the logic of your post.

Not really.

Here's why.

Yes, the ad space will be taken. and for the most part the building will be filled.

However, while the annual ticket prices can get raised only so much, the ad space that the Rangers sell can get alot pricier for a team that contends on an annual basis.

A team that is on top gets the higher tier companies looking to be associated with it.

Everyone loves a winner and are willing to pay for the opportunity to be associated with one.

The Rangers get those now to a certain extent because of location, but you don't bring in a consultant to analyze ways to increase profits if you are satisfied with the current rate of ROI.

Make the team better, charge more for ad space. Charge more for having players show up at events representing the team. Justified in charging more for PO tickets.

Just being in NYC can get you from point A to point B, having a winning team gets you alot further.

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
I haven't read the article, but I'd have to imagine this is about making the organizations run a little leaner and more efficient.

You don't hire consultants to raise ticket & food prices, anyone can do that. You hire them to find ways to reduce staff, overhead, and find new ways to cut corners.

I'd imagine changes would be unobservable to the consumer, but chances are things are going to get noticablly ****tier for MSG/NYR staff and employees.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
With the Knicks in complete free-fall I'm not too concerned about a bunch of suits meddling with the Rangers affairs.

Im concerned about the Knicks being so bad that it makes a mediocre Rangers team look great by comparison. In fact, Im convinced the Knicks primarily awful play since 2000 is one of the reasons that Sather seems adequate to a nitwit like Dolan.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I haven't read the article, but I'd have to imagine this is about making the organizations run a little leaner and more efficient.

You don't hire consultants to raise ticket & food prices, anyone can do that. You hire them to find ways to reduce staff, overhead, and find new ways to cut corners.

I'd imagine changes would be unobservable to the consumer, but chances are things are going to get noticablly ****tier for MSG/NYR staff and employees.

We suggest you stop paying players to not play hockey for you. We further recommend that you stop paying players high 7 figure salaries to play minor league hockey.

When do I start, Jim?

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
They possibly hired them to play.

This is a smart man's game. The Rangers have a collective IQ of about 15. I would be surprised if a guy like Benoit Pouliot could do basic addition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad