Cut/Released: Jamal Adams and Quandre Diggs

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Figured that if they wouldn't restructure that they would get cut. Have like $27 mill of dead cap between the 2 of them to eat over the next 2 seasons.

But, if they were not worth the salary they were due to get paid, then it made sense to move off them.

Adams deal was the straw that forced Jody Allen to pull back on Pete's power. Gave up a pick that NYJ traded up to get Vera-Tucker. Swapped with Minny who took Darrisaw. Darrisaw would have been a solution at OT for seattle. Plus the next 1st rounder was Garrett Wilson at WR.

An in the box safety in today's NFL..... Seattle should have paid the extra to top Pitt's deal for Fitzpatrick who is a better all around S. He went for a 1st and 2 other day 3 picks (maybe a 3rd). Seattle should have given up all 3 day 1&2 picks that draft. Just swap the Eskridge pick for the Wilson pick basically.

Reactions: DustyDangler

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The free agent market in secondary is going to be just as insane as the running back market, except the secondary is much deeper in the draft.

Reactions: Voight

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Not shocked by Adams given he has barely played in last 2 seasons.

But Diggs was still pretty key part of D and reliable. Figured if they are going young on D in safety positions, they would want to keep a vet like Diggs around to help ease kids in

Reactions: DustyDangler

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Not shocked by Adams given he has barely played in last 2 seasons.

But Diggs was still pretty key part of D and reliable. Figured if they are going young on D in safety positions, they would want to keep a vet like Diggs around to help ease kids in

Diggs took a step back this year, and seemed checked out way too often in my view. Still a good player, but SEA still has Julian Love and a nice stable of corners back there. Plainly MacDonald wants to shift salary up front (and Schneider must be cool with it) so this was a move I expected,

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Adams was awful, like dry skin hanging on someone lips awful when he was in Seattle.

Always injured, always being the ‘big dawg’ when he was just a small pup.

Just ratchet

• Wow
Reactions: Neil Racki

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sounds like Will Dissly is gone too.
His base salary is $6 mill. Given the production not worth that but sounds like Parkinson will be getting TE2 Money. Feels like Seattle missed the boat on drafting a TE in a deep class last draft as they seem set to move off all 3 TE from last season.

Diggs took a step back this year, and seemed checked out way too often in my view. Still a good player, but SEA still has Julian Love and a nice stable of corners back there. Plainly MacDonald wants to shift salary up front (and Schneider must be cool with it) so this was a move I expected,
Not worth the salary. Again in any cut, teams would likely ask the player to take a pay cut but if they decline they get cut.
Cutting a player is more about their salary than cap charge. As they can work around adjusting the cash to fit the cap. Both S have prior cash payments to still allocate vs the cap. That won’t change.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Was inevitable. Even Diggs wasn't that great last year. Dissly didn't get that many targets.

Tyler Lockett will be cut or restructured next, especially with JSN there. Brian Mone will be cut.

Seahawks priority is both lines of scrimmage. They've been rotten there for years and all resources will be going there and they will go younger at the secondary.

Frees up future cap space for when they might be good.

I imagine they sign one of Dissly, Parkinson or Fant to a more team friendly deal since we have zero TE's on the roster.

Hope we sign Patrick Queen over Brooks. I doubt Wagner is back.

Not sure what they do with Leonard Williams. Probably pay him but at this point I really wish we had that 2nd round pick.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Main reason they paid the 2nd for Williams was that the giants ate $9 mill of the remaining $10 mill. Thus Seattle could carry forward the few mill in cap space they had at the time to then use and extend him. But with a new HC those plans may have changed.

If Seattle was drafting a young QB to take over this season I’d want Lockett back. But with Geno returning if they can’t come to terms in a revised contract I can live with Lockett getting cut.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
, possiMain reason they paid the 2nd for Williams was that the giants ate $9 mill of the remaining $10 mill. Thus Seattle could carry forward the few mill in cap space they had at the time to then use and extend him. But with a new HC those plans may have changed.

If Seattle was drafting a young QB to take over this season I’d want Lockett back. But with Geno returning if they can’t come to terms in a revised contract I can live with Lockett getting cut.
They won't admit it but I think this is a full rebuild/assessment year. Honestly think if teams offered good value for DK they'd take it and use it for a QB of the future who would sit behind Geno. Same with cutting Lockett and JSN will get more snaps, possibly Bobo too. WR draft is stacked if they need another. QB draft is good. Lineman draft is good.

If they get the trenches solid on both sides this year I think they go on a big FA splurge next year having cleared out cap space. I think their top draft picks will go on the lines.

Will be interested in seeing the market for Diggs and Dissly. There's a chance both come back cheap.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Will be interested in seeing the market for Diggs and Dissly. There's a chance both come back cheap.
Honestly, you don't typically cut a player and then bring them back due to eating the remaining unallocated money already paid them within 2 years. I imagine Seattle discussed a reduced salary and all parties said, no, that they would try their luck on the market.

Hard to say. I mean, they still have Love a S and they can always restructure contracts to create cap room.

Just seems like they blew a shot at a good/deep TE class by taking Hall in round 2 who didn't contribute much last season. Or doubling dipping with Charbonnet as well in round 2.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Honestly, you don't typically cut a player and then bring them back due to eating the remaining unallocated money already paid them within 2 years. I imagine Seattle discussed a reduced salary and all parties said, no, that they would try their luck on the market.

Hard to say. I mean, they still have Love a S and they can always restructure contracts to create cap room.

Just seems like they blew a shot at a good/deep TE class by taking Hall in round 2 who didn't contribute much last season. Or doubling dipping with Charbonnet as well in round 2.
Will be interesting for sure. I don't think there's much of a market out there for them and I think Seattle will deprioritize the safety position. Dissly was overpaid given his production. I just have a feeling he may give a hometown discount right before the season starts. I'd love to see Grubb put more focus on utilizing TE's in the passing game rather than just using them as blockers. Feel like Fant was under used in that too.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Will be interesting for sure. I don't think there's much of a market out there for them and I think Seattle will deprioritize the safety position. Dissly was overpaid given his production. I just have a feeling he may give a hometown discount right before the season starts. I'd love to see Grubb put more focus on utilizing TE's in the passing game rather than just using them as blockers. Feel like Fant was under used in that too.
Dissly looked good in his rookie year, then suffered a bad leg injury. Think he then tore his acl in either year 2 or 3 of his rookie deal. Looked like he could be their next Zach Miller but the injuries limited him and he ended up being a rotational TE. Probably still did what he was drafted to do, but flashed some real potential early.

I get underused TE with Russ given his height. Geno is 6'2 so no reason to not use the TE more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad