Jakub Voracek is the first player to score 50pts this season.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
He will finish with around 84-87 points I think when all is said and done, which is terrific. Giroux will finish with a few more points than him.

The Flyers need to bring in some defensemen and a new defensive system. If they do that, they would be a very good team.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Believe it or not, Schultz has been there best defenseman

Eh, he's been alright from what I've seen. He's definitely been better than AMac and the rest. He's solid (hits wise) but Streit seems to drive the play and creates a gross amount of opportunities. Schultz surprised me every game I've seen though.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
He hasn't. He's been a pleasant surprise and performed way better than expected, but not better than Streit.

Schultz has been good in every zone and is much better defensively. Streit is the "sexier player" but I think Schultz type of play helps the Flyers more. The offense is fine.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
He hasn't. He's been a pleasant surprise and performed way better than expected, but not better than Streit.

There's a contingent among my fellow Flyers fans who will claim, every season, that some rotating third-pairing D-man has been the team's best. Meszaros, Del Zotto, hell, if you dug through every post about Grossmann he probably had it said of him 2 years ago. I don't understand it.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
There's a contingent among my fellow Flyers fans who will claim, every season, that some rotating third-pairing D-man has been the team's best. Meszaros, Del Zotto, hell, if you dug through every post about Grossmann he probably had it said of him 2 years ago. I don't understand it.

I've personally felt it for a while, Jones and coatsey both said it on air last game.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
If he's not the best then he's the 2nd best Dman, no doubt about it and he got the numbers to back it up.

if you just look at those numbers without the name you would think he's a good #3.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
crazy that when you look at the d as individual players:

Coburn...up and down year
Streit....very good year offensively...ok defensively
Schultz...very good surprise
Schenn...been fine...he is what he is
Carlo...barely played...was fine
Grossmann....poor year
MacDonald....very bad
MDZ...up and down

Really...it's Grossmann and MacD that have really drug us down. And a coach who shouldn't be employed. They have ruined a once good PK.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
If Voracek can just play to his pace last season, he'll finish with 82 points. After his hot start, around the 30 game mark, I said that if he can get to that 82 point mark that I would be very impressed. Being where he is now, if he doesn't get to around 85 points I would be a bit surprised and I would be very surprised and let down if he doesn't hit 82.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Giroux's contract is a huge blessing to the Flyers. It's a cap on what Voracek can demand of the Flyers. And even then, I think Voracek respects Giroux enough to know that Giroux's impact on the game is a fair bit larger.

At least with Toews and Kane, there's a disparity in offensive and defensive abilities respectively that can justify equal salaries. Giroux and Voracek are more or less equal offensively, but obviously Giroux's value goes far beyond just that.

Not to mention Giroux is already signed under market value... Gives the Flyers room to acquire awesome, bloated contracts like Lecavalier, Umberger, and MacDonald!

I think Voracek will get eight years, at 7.75 or 8m per year. That said, obviously Voracek has the right to play the market and use it as leverage if he so chooses. But I just don't think he'd be comfortable being the highest paid player on the Flyers (easy for me to say, though).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Appleyard has posted some stats that indicate that Voracek's production is sustainable, I'll chip in that the eyeball test indicates the same thing. He isn't relying on the other team to make mistakes or getting lucky bounces, he is generating a lot of offense with some insanely good puck possession. He has been earning every one of those points, and there have been quite a few games where he easily could have had some more.

eklunds source

Jul 23, 2008
Ed Snider's basement
For what it's worth (insert self tire pumping comment here):

In Voracek's first 16 games, he had 26 points. I predicted he would score roughly an additional 51 points in his final 66 games (link).

At that point in time, Voracek and his linemates were averaging 35.8 shots on net every 60 minutes of play. I thought that was reasonable and his season-ending total would be +/- 1 shot from that. Currently sitting at 32.87 shots/60min -- it dropped a lot. This would be the 2nd lowest shot rate his team has seen since his rookie year.

Also at that point in time, Voracek's on-ice sh% was 12.21%; I predicted it would drop to his 3-year average of ~9.3%. It now sits at 9.42%. Booyeah :yo: In all fairness, it's actually dropped faster than I thought it would, as I thought he might end the season somewhere around there (and I still think it will, it just regressed faster than I thought it might).

Again, at that point in time, Voracek had a point on every single goal the Flyers scored with him on the ice (15 out of 15, or an IPP of 100%). I predicted it would end up somewhere around 70-80%, as most top-6 forwards do. Since that post, Voracek has 12 points on 16 5v5 goals (75%). Booyeah again :yo: His total on the season sits at 87.1%, and I strongly suspect that will continue to drop to the low 80s by seasons end.

I predicted he would score ~33 more points at 5v5, or roughly 0.5ppg. Since then he has scored 16 points in 27 games (0.59ppg)... That's good enough for the girls I go out with! :yo:

I also predicted he would score ~15-20 points on the powerplay for the rest of the season; he has 10 powerplay points in 27 games with 39 games remaining. His powerplay production has been very good and is the main reason Voracek is ~0.2ppg higher than I thought he would be at this point.

Overall, **** yeah, math!

edit: regarding my last comment in that previous post; I think Voracek will be a ~68-73pt player next season.

Last edited:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

In Voracek's first 16 games, he had 26 points. I predicted he would score roughly an additional 51 points in his final 66 games (link).

At that point in time, Voracek and his linemates were averaging 35.8 shots on net every 60 minutes of play. I thought that was reasonable and his season-ending total would be +/- 1 shot from that. Currently sitting at 32.87 shots/60min -- it dropped a lot. This would be the 2nd lowest shot rate his team has seen since his rookie year.

Also at that point in time, Voracek's on-ice sh% was 12.21%; I predicted it would drop to his 3-year average of ~9.3%. It now sits at 9.42%. Booyeah :yo: In all fairness, it's actually dropped faster than I thought it would, as I thought he might end the season somewhere around there (and I still think it will, it just regressed faster than I thought it might).

Again, at that point in time, Voracek had a point on every single goal the Flyers scored with him on the ice (15 out of 15, or an IPP of 100%). I predicted it would end up somewhere around 70-80%, as most top-6 forwards do. Since that post, Voracek has 12 points on 16 5v5 goals (75%). Booyeah again :yo: His total on the season sits at 87.1%, and I strongly suspect that will continue to drop to the low 80s by seasons end.

I predicted he would score ~33 more points at 5v5, or roughly 0.5ppg. Since then he has scored 16 points in 27 games (0.59ppg)... That's good enough for the girls I go out with! :yo:

I also predicted he would score ~15-20 points on the powerplay for the rest of the season; he has 10 powerplay points in 27 games with 39 games remaining. His powerplay production has been very good and is the main reason Voracek is ~0.2ppg higher than I thought he would be at this point.

Wow! It's as if no one else thought Voracek would have slowed down from that 133 point pace. You must have been blasted for that opinion! :laugh:

Since your premonition, he's had 26 points in 27 games. Like Flyers fans have been saying, he's a ~PPG player. Maybe slightly more. Nobody expected his torrid pace to hold for the whole season.

EDIT: So in order for your actual prediction to be correct, Voracek would have to put up 25 points in the remaining 39 games. So .64 PPG or 52 point pace. You really called that one, Nostradamus.

Last edited:

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Surprised eklunds source is so adamant on trying to put Voracek down even though he is one of the best puck possession forwards in the entire NHL.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

edit: regarding my last comment in that previous post; I think Voracek will be a ~68-73pt player next season.

Did you really come here to self promote what people already agreed with when you originally posted that a couple months ago? That poll had 4 options and the winning option, by a wide margin, was predicting he would score between 76-85 points. Even in that thread, nobody bashed you, the only responses you received were Flyers fans basically saying that you're right that he would slow down but that we thought 77 points was a bit lower than what we would predict.

Here's my response to that thread:
I don't think you're very far off with your final number of 77 points. I'm personally thinking right around 82 and while I agree that if he's in the mid 80's it's likely a career year, I truly believe he will continue to be a 70-80 point guy for the next few years if he continues to play with Giroux.
I still think that my prediction is closer than yours and I wouldn't be surprised if he hit 84-85 points.

By the way, this guy is the big winner of worst prediction ever in that thread.
Voracek will not keep up the pace and he'll fall in his point range, which is 60-70ish. Rarely do we see a player that is 25 explode and boost his PPG by .30 points.

Last edited:

eklunds source

Jul 23, 2008
Ed Snider's basement
Wow! It's as if no one else thought Voracek would have slowed down from that 133 point pace. You must have been blasted for that opinion! :laugh:
The salt is real... It's just numbers, calm down chief.

Did you really come here to self promote what people already agreed with when you originally posted that a couple months ago?
Yes. I'm attempting to prove that the methodology is functional, rather than just eyeballing it and saying "yeah, PPG player, cool".

Surprised eklunds source is so adamant on trying to put Voracek down even though he is one of the best puck possession forwards in the entire NHL.
Where did I put Voracek down? I'm a big fan of his.

Check out this post from April 2013 where I agree'd he's a 2-way force and Columbus moving him was a mistake, or this post from March 2012 where I said 8th+Voracek was robbery for Carter and poor judgment by Howson...

Are you guys seriously so against statistics that you'll read what you want to read instead of trying to figure out what I'm saying?

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Numbers that no one denied, despite your post having a heavy implication that you were alone in this judgment. You weren't.

Yes. I'm attempting to prove that the methodology is functional, rather than just eyeballing it and saying "yeah, PPG player, cool".
Unless Voracek only puts up 25 points in the remaining 39 games, your methodology was less than outstanding.

We don't have a problem with what you're saying. It's about how you're saying it. It's like me predicting, "The sun will rise tomorrow and here are the scientific reasons for my predictions" then upon seeing the sun rise, I come back to you and say, "BOOYEAH! IN YOUR FACE, THE SUN ROSE! **** YEAH, SCIENCE!" :laugh:

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The salt is real? As of right now, your prediction isn't even correct unless you want to say your correct that he slowed down from a 133 point pace, in which case, nobody needed math to know that.

That's fine, I'm all for using math to determine stats and future outcomes but it's not like you were on an island with your prediction. If everyone else was insisting that he would break 100 this year and we were all way off and your prediction is now dead on, that would be a good reason to bump reference an old post and pat yourself on the back.

Are you guys seriously so against statistics that you'll read what you want to read instead of trying to figure out what I'm saying?
When you said it two months ago, nobody said anything other than that we agree with you but think it will be slightly higher. Coming in and starting your post with "For what it's worth (insert self tire pumping comment here)" and then going on to say "booyah :yo:" multiple times and "**** yeah, math!" to something we all agreed with just makes you look like a silly one-upper. I bet you also predicted that Seguin wouldn't finish the season with 65 goals too. Cool math.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad